RFC: Unban everyone

Somewhat true, and I’m wasting my time acting like you’re not just playing games, but essentially the only “post in your forum in a way you won’t appreciate” is voting for permabans. Only one person on the site has ever voted for one* and there may have been a couple vetoes for people with no perma votes, but I’m not sure of that.

• eta: this doesn’t count votes after someone was invited. Almost all the people from the other site voted against perma for jmakin, but not all.

The feuds sure, but for the most part, no one outside of the feuding parties cared until the moderation.

I paid very little attention to PU. This is not 2p2 though and none of the people here on either side of the feuding are Luckbox or toothsayer. We ~all used to get along more or less at one point. Something fractured this into large camps and imo it was the policing, not the squabbles.

2 Likes

And has been pointed out, marty and jal fight sometimes. No one else gets in the middle of it. I don’t know what they fight about. I get along with both of them just fine. Neither of them are ban supporters or tell other people when and where they can post, so it’s no big deal for the site.

There have been a few other fights, but without the banning they just settle without adding something else to fight about.

2 Likes

I by the way think this place would be better with more perma bans. It won’t be good by any means, but it would be better than it currently is and it should have happened a year ago.

Wookie’s post here -

Pretty much sums it up. There’s no actual coming back from this. It’s either admit that is who you are, retract all of what you said, fight back or walk away.

No one was going for the first two options, some chose 3 and some chose 4. Now you could say that’s only wookie, this and that person said i’m whatever, but it’s not like that. Wookie and the support he had were the dominant force here at the time. Anyone who wasn’t paying attention took their view on the matter and built on from there.

At that point all of the “uk bros” (which now included anyone who disagreed with wookie’s post above) should have been perma’d and the forum would have survived in a much more boring but manageable fashion.

(just to be clear - there were many better solutions to the problem, but on the actual question of “UP - better than what it is now if all of them were perma’d” the answer is yes in my mind).

The question is always who this is. A lot of people (You too maybe) may have thought it was like 3 people at first. But it would always have been a cascade of people and it would always have been ugly.

I don’t doubt that, but the longer they waited while maintaining the position above the bigger the cascade become.

Just in case anyone missed it, this is Jalfrezi taking an unprovoked shot at a member that is not currently posting here, because he’s an asshole.

I’m seeing more stuff reported in this thread. I was letting most stuff go in here since it seems tensions and I was hoping people would hash this out here without spilling over to the rest of the forum.

However, this thread is pretty detailed and getting into old personal fights, so going forward stop, or there will be moderation (this is a blanket warning as if I were to issue bans based on the posting in this thread, most of you would get a time-out).

Apparently you’re not accepting PMs at the moment? I was hoping to raise something else with you.

I’m not even sure how to block PMs, so if I did it was an accident.

We considered your request and you got vetoed, sorry.

Stop othering people bro

1 Like

Victor said yes, when asked this question. I believe him.

He asked. I doubt it was sincere, but I nominated him just in case. We would have gotten criticized whether we responded to his request or ignored it, so I just decided to go with letting him know the truth, fully expecting responses like yours.

2 Likes

Mimosa threw Sabo off this site. It’s possible for some veto there will be no reason other than someone didn’t like them, but this isn’t the case here.

I have no idea if that particular request was sincere or not. I’m not cool enough to be part of either the invite only forum or the juicy pm threads that are apparently rampant here, so I fully admit that I know only a small piece of the full story here.

That being said, I don’t think you should assume a request is insincere simply because the person making it has a problem with one particular poster at the new site. As so many of you are kind enough to remind us, there are quite a few people who left this site (or at least post here much less frequently), but do post at the other one. I mean, based on the way the descriptions the Captains make about the vibe and the quality of posting in that space vs the way this site is characterized, who wouldn’t want to post there? Potentially having a problem with one of the people doesn’t necessarily mean that someone couldn’t have a genuine interest in chatting with some of the other folks who left. And it doesn’t mean that they were only trying to get access to stir shit up.

Anyway, y’all can and do run your new clubhouse however you want, and you folks decided that the single veto method was best for your space. But for someone who spent a long time posting here about how the bans interferred with your ability to chat with the people you wanted to, I’d hope you could see how maybe, just maybe, someone could have a genuine interest in posting on the other site even if they didn’t like one or two people there.

7 Likes

OK, thanks. For what it’s worth, it was sincere.

I read a lot more than I post, and that would have been my intention there as well. (I realize that doesn’t make me a particularly valuable forum member). I believe it’s true that I voted to ban Sabo because I thought he was intentionally trying to sow discord here, but I assume that’s not the only strike against me because other people who voted for the ban probably now post there? Either way, the forum war shit has now gotten to a level that I don’t really understand at all, but I know it sucks.

In any case, thanks for letting me know.

1 Like

How am I just now noticing we have two Mos Defs in this forum? One of you ought to be Talib Kwali.

I can’t imagine anyone vetoing you. It’s not like we vote on it. For someone clearly not controversial people don’t even ask all the time. Anyone having voted for a permaban here automatically makes it at least a discussion. As I mentioned before, people are sorry about anyone who feels left out and the way things happened that included a lot of people who have never had anything to do with forum politics or fights.