Request Product Recommendations ITT!

gonna need some new eyeglasses soon, any reason to use one of these internet deals instead of just going to costco like I usually do?

I have a pretty basic prescription and I’ve been really happy with Zenni. Their frames aren’t the absolute best quality but my glasses cost between $20 and $75 depending on whether I want blue light blocker or transitions or whatever.

When I first needed glasses a few years ago I went with them. Next time I spent a little more with coastal and then did Costco now it’s just Zenni. The only difference for me is frame brand and minor frame quality differences

Similar experience as blackize.

Ex sent me the video below. Price was most important to me so I did online. I don’t think the lens/frame quality is great but I don’t wear them that much so it worked out ok for basic progressive lenses. If you need to have your glasses adjusted often maybe it makes sense to go with in-store like the video guy says.

Similar experience. Last time I bought glasses (2-3 years ago) I used EyeBuyDirect and got a few pairs probably for $30-35 average. Usually the toughest part is getting your script info (including PD) to give to the online retailers.

The frame quality definitely feels lesser than what I’ve gotten from B&M stores in the past, but lenses seem fine. This also coincided with me wearing glasses far less frequently with full time WFH, so I wasn’t as concerned with every day quality and durability. I do have prescription sunglasses from Warby which I love, although I might try getting a backup pair online.

Anyone got a smart thermostat they like? New house has the thermostat in the coolest part of the house so it gets hot elsewhere and isn’t programmable

Nest thermostat is great

1 Like

I’ve had one of the Honeywell Lyrics for the past 5 years and have no complaints, I can’t remember which model and I can’t find that info in the app which seems weird. Might be the T5 looking at Google images

1 Like

Ecobee. It has additional sensors. In my two story house, of course upstairs gets a lot hotter than downstairs. At night, I have it set to only read the sensor in our bedroom upstaris to determine the house temperature. we don’t have any bedrooms downstairs, so it completely ignores the downstairs temp while we’re sleeping.

They’re pretty slick. Highly recommended.

4 Likes

The hvac people I know say stay away from nest and always choose ecobee.

1 Like

I have ecobee. I would recommend. Easy to set up. Easy to set up different comfort settings for different activities and then schedule those activities.

The one downside I’ve seen is that we tied ours to Amazon’s Alexa and it bugged out if another Amazon product is closer to the user. We have plenty of other products for voice commands so we disabled it and it works fine.

A bank that doesn’t suck. For my business and personal account. Chase just burned their last bridge with me.

1 Like

get a credit union

I want to sleep with Natalie Portman. I like my odds better. :grin:

1 Like

I’ve been thinking this route. But the convenience of the atms / apps / etc. is why I never changed before.

I have Bank of America, and they’ve been fine, although I do all of my banking electronically. They also have ATMs everywhere.

1 Like

My credit union has an excellent app, they had app-based check deposit way before most “real” banks. They refund $X in ATM fees per month (not sure how much, I don’t use ATMs very frequently) and they have a network of credit unions so if I need to go into a branch there’s something nearby (the nearest actual branch of my credit union is 400 miles away and it hasn’t been an issue for me in 21 years since I last lived in a city with a real branch).

1 Like

Recommendations for an electric, battery powered lawn mower? Have a tiny yard and small shed so small storage size and lightweight are key. Initial search has led me to a 16" or 17" Greenworks mower.

I used a Ryobi for the last 3 years and really liked it. This brand fit with my internalized narrative that the Japanese make everything better than anyone else.

1 Like

Greenworks. EZ game. Ours has to be 6 or 7 years old. No maintenance, tons of power, no issues, just works. Snow blower too. I keep the batteries indoors for the winter, but beyond that they get treated rough.

1 Like

Greenworks. Will cut your entire lawn on one charge, plenty of power, easy to use.

1 Like