Request Product Recommendations ITT!

A bank that doesn’t suck. For my business and personal account. Chase just burned their last bridge with me.

1 Like

get a credit union

I want to sleep with Natalie Portman. I like my odds better. :grin:

1 Like

I’ve been thinking this route. But the convenience of the atms / apps / etc. is why I never changed before.

I have Bank of America, and they’ve been fine, although I do all of my banking electronically. They also have ATMs everywhere.

1 Like

My credit union has an excellent app, they had app-based check deposit way before most “real” banks. They refund $X in ATM fees per month (not sure how much, I don’t use ATMs very frequently) and they have a network of credit unions so if I need to go into a branch there’s something nearby (the nearest actual branch of my credit union is 400 miles away and it hasn’t been an issue for me in 21 years since I last lived in a city with a real branch).

1 Like

Recommendations for an electric, battery powered lawn mower? Have a tiny yard and small shed so small storage size and lightweight are key. Initial search has led me to a 16" or 17" Greenworks mower.

I used a Ryobi for the last 3 years and really liked it. This brand fit with my internalized narrative that the Japanese make everything better than anyone else.

1 Like

Greenworks. EZ game. Ours has to be 6 or 7 years old. No maintenance, tons of power, no issues, just works. Snow blower too. I keep the batteries indoors for the winter, but beyond that they get treated rough.

1 Like

Greenworks. Will cut your entire lawn on one charge, plenty of power, easy to use.

1 Like

I had a similar Ryobi. It cut well though would occasionally stall out if I let the grass get a bit too long. But the frame was an absolute piece of shit. In just a few months of normal, light use the metal where the handle attaches to the mower bent. It made the handle take an angle like 30 degrees off parallel with the wheels making it very unpleasant to use

This is valid, mine had the same trouble.

Need a rec for front-loading washer and dryer pair. Any thoughts?

I have had good experiences with electrolux and LG. If you need a lot of capacity, LG makes some pretty big ones.

There’s been some headphone/earbud talk in this thread.

My reliable but unremarkable Jabra earbuds finally died, so I splurged and got a pair of state-of-the-art Sony WF-1000XM4 earbuds.

OMG. The sound is incredible.

I now realize I haven’t listened to music–as it was meant to be listened to–in years.

Highly recommend.

3 Likes

There’s also a separate audiophile thread if you really want to get into the weeds. I have some Jabra earbuds and also got a pair of Samsungs in a recent sale but I don’t think either of them are world beaters; I splurged a little more on my gaming headsets since I use those more than listen to music.

I read the TV discussion in here and did some of my own research and ended up with the Samsung QN90A, which is a QLED TV and not an OLED, because I wanted it for my living room which can get pretty bright and throw a lot of reflections, which seems to be one of he few downsides to OLED TVs. Only had it up for a few days but loving it so far, although the default settings are too bright for watching at night imo. Mostly mentioning this because I learned that most new TVs have built in ATSC 3.0 antennas which allow you to pick up free HD channels in a number of markets across the country (not yet available in my area, mostly just in large markets so far). In addition, Samsung has their own proprietary TV system that lets you watch a bunch of HD channels for free. Finally was able to cut the last vestiges of my cable plan and the savings will pay for the entire TV over the course of 2 years.

Do a Google search for the “model number calibration” and you’ll get a good starting point to getting the picture dialed in.

1 Like

X-post from the cooking thread:

I might be in the market for some new knives, if anyone has a recommendation. I have an inexpensive ~14 piece set from my wedding that’s now 12 years old and the pieces are starting to dull. I started sharpening them when I realized they were microserrated and therefore unable to be sharpened. I’d prefer another set with a variety of knives and steak knives. Costco had a set of Cangshan knives that looked intriguing but I think it was their bottom line model, which has been as low as like $70. This looks like a decent deal to me but I really have no idea how to pick knives: Zwilling Four Star 14 Piece Knife Set with Block - Zwilling J.A. Henckels | Cutlery and More.

I also thought this looked tempting for an individual knife: Enso HD Santoku Knife with Magnetic Sheath, 6.5" | Cutlery and More

I have a Zwillings set. Highly recommend. The set you linked will have everything you need if you don’t know what you need.

I have this: ZWILLING J.A. Henckels Zwilling Professional "S" 7-piece Knife Block Set & Reviews | Wayfair

Plus the pro bread knife

1 Like

I’m almost positive that’s the set we have from our wedding and it’s still going strong, although I definitely am not a distinguishing knife user. We’ve also had good experience with their customer service - the paring knife blade snapped when cutting a piece of cheese (which maybe isn’t a good sign of quality!), but they replaced it without any hassle.

The one thing I would suggest is actually going to a store to get a feel for them in your hands. I find the handles of this set very nice. In contrast, we received a Santoku knife that I think is the same style as the set linked by @Krayz, and I hate using it because the handle is so uncomfortable.

I’ve also been happy with Victorinox - we have a set of steak knives that are decent, and a bread knife that is great value for the price.

1 Like