Request Product Recommendations ITT!

My guess is there is still something off with your settings. I definitely don’t have that either.

What can I say. Like I said, there’s a lot out there about this problem.

yeah I have the 2017 65C7P and no problems at all its great

If budget isn’t a concern then I would go with Outlier New Ways. Perfect for doing non swimming things, but still want to swim.

1 Like

Anyone bought a rugged phone and/or a rugged phone case?

I have fairly low expectations for a phone. But I just want one that will last forever, even after I drop it all the time.

I’ve been using this phone case for a few years and am very happy with it. Covers the entire phone, including the screen, and it relatively cheap. I am pretty good with taking care of my phone, but definitely have dropped it plenty and the case does the job. You probably can’t go too wrong with any case that completely encloses the phone though.

YOUMAKER Designed for Galaxy S9… Amazon.com

1 Like

There aren’t many rugged phones on the market and most of them are pretty terrible and are unlikely to continue to get updated.

If you only want a case, Otterbox is probably the biggest maker of rugged phone cases. It’s hard to recommend something specific without knowing what phone you use.

Wife and I are moving cross country and looking to buy a new TV. I found this link upthread: LG OLED

I assume this is a great TV, but could someone briefly summarize why?

My wife wants to get this TV, which is like $300: Limited-time deal for Prime Members: Amazon Fire TV 55" Omni Series 4K UHD smart TV, hands-free with Alexa https://a.co/d/gMFk1kl

Another question, we want to bail on cable. Anyone have experience with YouTube TV or some other non-cable media? Aside from the streaming platforms, we watch some shows and news on NBC, ABC, CBS, and Bravo (Summer House and Below Deck GOAT).

I can stream RedZone from the web or go to a bar to watch the Pats, so sports on YouTube isn’t a big priority.

I love my YouTubeTV, but I love it because of the sports and you can get redzone through it.

YouTubeTV has a couple big advantages:

1. Unlimited DVR - can record basically everything (it’s stored on the cloud). Only limitation is that you have 4 months or close to that to watch it
  2. Massive channel selection - it’s essentially cable sized at this point. I got it because it’s the only place I can easily get Big Ten Network
  3. Portability - At work? Traveling? No big deal, I can watch TV on my phone, tablet or computer without an issue

The biggest downside is the price. It used to be a lot cheaper.

2 Likes

I also have YouTube TV and I like it for the wide selection as well as for sports. In fact, it comes with MLB network included, and they probably show 10 live games per week.

Before I bought my new smart TV, I had to cast everything, and approximately 2 weeks before my prior TV had an accident (causing me to buy the smart TV) the YouTubeTV app began crashing my Android phone for no reason, and continued to do so even after reinstalling the app and then wiping and reinstalling my phone. But using the TV itself to access the app and change channels has been no problem.

2 Likes

I have hulu with live TV and it’s… OK. there are a LOT of bugs in Hulu’s apps (I use it with both roku and firestick and the app has significant issues on both platforms, but they are totally different bugs on each device). It also tends to occasionally just… forget that you asked it to record something. “Oh, you’ve been recording jeopardy every day for the last 5 years? No, I have no memory of that, fuck you” is pretty common.

1 Like

Yeah. That’s what I had seen the last time I checked.

However. Right now. Theres a new Nokia rugged phone.

https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_au/nokia-xr-20

3 years of android updates. Mid level specs. Stock android.

Claimed drop proof from 1.8 meters.

The guy here does some pretty good drop tests

I’m tempted.

It’s just the best picture right now. OLEDs provide the deepest blacks for the highest contrast and are now getting better at their weakness (brightness). LG’s are generally considered the highest quality OLEDs right now. I recommend the C2 (even better is the C1 on a deal) over the G2, it’s cheaper for not a lot of difference. The site you linked will give you all the info you need to make a decision. The TV your wife wants isn’t as good (lots of blur, poor viewing angles), but it is cheaper obviously. Amazon Fire TV Omni Series Review (4K43M600A, 4K50M600A, 4K55M600A, 4K65M600A, 4K75M600A) - RTINGS.com

I would just browse the rtings buying guides at whatever price point you want.

Thank you
*all

I just started using YouTube TV. A 5-day trial I forget to cancel so I’m using it for a month, and am considering just keeping it for all the reasons you listed.

I’ll also add that the interface is quite intuitive. If you add a program to your favorites it will record every show on every channel.

Also, haven’t done it but you can share with up to 6 family members (or friends I presume), which could mitigate the cost by splitting it up.

It is $$$. Can easily afford it, but still don’t like the idea of paying that much for TV I’d be better off not watching in the first place.

1 Like

You think the C2 OLED can work well in a great room that will get a lot of natural light during the day, but all indirect light?

Yup, that should be fine. Our room with a bunch of windows is good. Though I will mention the C1 is a lot cheaper with basically the same quality.

You won’t want to watch cinematic movies during the day though if possible is the only thing I’d say.

1 Like

oh yeah the cost, my hulu live has gone from $39 in Jan 2019 to $83 now. Pretty insane (no additional channels).

My 6 year old TV doesnt do well in direct sunlight.

So I close the blinds. Problem solved.

what the actual fuck lol isn’t this just cable?? I mean I guess you’re not paying money directly to Newscorp but still.