Police Murder George Floyd Then Riot Nationwide (Links to Streams in OP)

Assuming they’re all operating in their own political self-interest, it’s possible that they’re just misjudging the ground changing beneath their feet. This feels different, young folks are fed up, Millennials are getting old enough that this could be the election where we finally kick some ass.

I think I said it last night, too, but this feels like a form of civil war.

a longer version showing both the before and aftermath, and the moment where the car makes a second run at attempted murder

https://twitter.com/WaybrightAdam/status/1266566805310464000

1 Like

This is certainly nothing like I remember before. Maybe Ferguson was like this, but if so it doesnt seem like it was covered like this or so widespread.

It seems like the video was a “last straw” type moment. He kneeled on the neck of a black man who wasn’t resisting for 7 MINUTES while knowing he was on camera the entire time. It was a blatant and direct show of the police saying “We are better and more important than you, prove us wrong.”

5 Likes

Holy shit, that’s attempted murder in the first degree. That’s intent, that’s planned.

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t recall Ferguson being anywhere near this level, and I paid close attention. I don’t recall people trying to attack/kill protesters until Charlottesville, and now we’re seeing it in numerous cities at once across the country, and we’re seeing actually destructive left-wing protests in numerous cities at once across the country.

I think that’s part of it, and I think you had a lot of accumulated anger over the years, but I think it goes beyond that… In just the last couple of months:

1. We’ve been radically polarized over the response to a pandemic, which is disproportionately affecting the black and brown and poor communities. The right wing is calling it a hoax and decrying any efforts at safety/mitigation, while the GOP led by McConnell and Trump refuses to help blue states with extended benefits. This is an act of political violence.

2. The economic fallout has led to unemployment in the neighborhood of 25% right now. This means a lot of people are sitting at home, they have time on their hands, they’re stressed, they’re angry, and this piled on.

3. Millennials have been getting shitted on for 10-15 years now. Graduated into a once in a lifetime economic crisis, now staring down another one, meanwhile because we mostly live in cities, we are stripped of political power by gerrymandering… Many of us value a multi-cultural society with diversity. We have black and brown friends who we love, and this outrages us to a degree other generations of white folks are not outraged.

Put all that together at once… Put the George Floyd murder on top with the video… And this is what you get.

9 Likes

A 19-year-old protester in Detroit was killed by a drive by shooting into the crowd.

they were really out here torturing dudes in basements

1 Like

Just went to go look at getting a BLM t-shirt or flag, both out of stock. Guess that’s a good sign.

1 Like

I was grunching above, yeah, Chicago is off the fucking hook.

I have three felonies on my record for almost wholly fabricated charges.

why’d the cop drive off?

What is his name now? I can’t find him.

Here’s more attempted murder, courtesy of my birth city of San Jose.

https://twitter.com/emmasequra/status/1266603555403644928

Warning: Incredibly graphic

Feels like the beginning of Occupy to me but less hopeful honestly. It’s possible it’s just a massive emotional catharsis and will fizzle out. It’s pretty fucking exciting though. A multiracial Occupy would be amazing.

2 Likes

And of course, the longer version to show true intent. Driver had a clear path out in one direction. Turned back towards the protesters instead

https://twitter.com/emmasequra/status/1266614851050196992

And another

https://twitter.com/Mqziiy/status/1266570793833512961

1 Like

These aren’t accidents, these aren’t panicked drivers who accidentally drive into a protest and got stuck. These are people who see thousands of Americans taking the streets and demanding change that is completely intolerable to them.

We are so deeply polarized, and we have to remember our opposition is as sure that they are right as we are that they are wrong. They are as deeply rooted in their beliefs as we are. This is a time that desperately calls for good moral leadership from the oval office, and obviously it is completely devoid of that.

So we have two sides who believe their cause is just and righteous, and there doesn’t seem to be much give.

I fear nobody yields, and if this continues a couple more days, I fear we’re going to see a massacre that makes Kent State look like nothing. There is no effective deescalation happening, no leadership from Washington, and we know Trump’s tendencies.

2 Likes

One more thought: like coronavirus, we need governors to save the day. We need members of Congress to stand united and speak out.

2 Likes

I got from context 3%ers is white men carrying guns/white militia but where does it come from? Also I hope you’re safe tonight buddy. That’s terrifying.

https://twitter.com/foxwoundband/status/1266613385862447104?s=21

2 Likes