‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens - Gun Violence in America

When I was a security consultant there were a bunch of dumb ass products to barricade doors being pushed on schools.

I always just recommended locking door hardware. Not sure why it needs to be more complicated than that. There’s been very few school shootings that happened behind a locked door.

Yea I think this is the case. I’m pretty sure I read they had issues with doors locking. I’d guess the closer on the door maybe wasn’t set correct and door lock latch didn’t catch completely. Or maybe they had some dumb complicated system in place.

I’ll repeat my theory that the school resource officer was possibly responsible for making sure the door locking system wasn’t disabled. My guess is that it was disabled, maybe intentionally, and he wasn’t around, and that gave rise to the door-propping story.

1 Like

You are probably correct. If i remember correctly they said they were investigating why the door didn’t lock. It seemed like strange way to phrase it.

It’s gonna be great as we work the kinks out of all these school security systems one mass shooter at a time.

Doors auto-locking can lead to a lot of disturbances of classroom activities in primary schools of students coming back from the Rest room, so I would not be surprised if some teachers tried workarounds to reduce the number of times per lesson someone had to open the door.

4 Likes

And next week Republicans will be like, “See? Guns don’t kill people, defective door locks do! Check your door locks every morning!”

Looks like they agreed to a framework for some new gun legislation. Besides closing the “boyfriend” loophole, you know it’s not gonna do shit when John Cornyn is taking a victory lap on it. Also, to no one’s surprise, 18 year olds are still going to be able to buy assault weapons.

https://twitter.com/chrismurphyct/status/1539380315201933314?s=21&t=ScuGBbWhxnseDO--Q8aynA

Great self own.

2 Likes

Yawn

Hey guys, we got nothing done, but here’s a bill that lets republicans pretend they did something.

6 Likes

Ted Cruz was right, too many doors!

1 Like

https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/1539609609362718722?s=21&t=KzuHiyMQNiwpaslMUFy48g

Can’t find it now, but yesterday I read somewhere that the classroom door had a misaligned striker plate and needed to be yanked shut to close properly. It’s pretty common for doors to get out of whack like that and many of us have one or two of those in our own houses.

My neighbor’s front door apparently had to be slammed multiple times to shut so I know about her comings and goings at all hours of the day and night. It took a year to get around to fixing it. It still gets slammed but thankfully only once.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1539688437472706560

10 Likes

For a second I thought this was real, as in selfies with a dead body.

1 Like

Was reading reddit and this question was posed:

What is the difference between:

A) what the police actually did
vs
2) what the police would have done if they were trying to help the shooter

1 Like

I think the major issues were the catastrophic decision to treat it like a barricaded shooter. A lot of the problems stem from that.

The cops obviously weren’t actively helping the shooter. The did isolate him in the room, but bad policy and terrible training all flowed into a bad a worse outcome than what should have been

1 Like