NCAA v. Alston

Seriously, does anyone have a problem with how baseball runs things? Just have a minor league farm system for football and basketball for kids trying to get into the pros and a club league for college students who want to play recreationally.

NFL Europe and WLAF were run as their own leagues. They weren’t comprised of minor league affiliates of NFL teams like baseball farm leagues are.

Those teams were loss leaders designed to get American football more exposure in Europe. They weren’t cultivating young talent for the NFL.

This is the kind of position that could only be had by someone who doesn’t really get or follow cfb. Never going to happen.

Football is what we are usually talking about for obvious reasons but BMX ‘ers are definitely dealing with CTE.

Dave Mira killing himself would be the NFL equivalent of Tom Brady.

Colleges, college sports fans, and the athletes? Like, I haven’t looked at the numbers, but minor league baseball couldn’t possibly generating even the same order of magnitude of revenue that college football does. Minor league football might be more enticing than minor league baseball, but there’s no way it would generate the fanaticism of college football. College is a core personal identifier that runs deeper than current geographical location as a reason to get all tribal with your buddies, so there’s a very real risk in your proposal that the college recreational leagues might still generate more revenue than minor league football, in which case, why would a burgeoning pro play for a minor league team when he could potentially get paid more at college?

1 Like

College football is basically the religion at PSU. It had a cultist following with most students blissfully unaware or uncaring about how fucked the athletes were. It took me some time to realize how bad it was.

Those schools exploit the poor by claiming to offer an education when it’s just paper classes designed to keep them on the roster. Of course if they get injured and become ineligible to play then goodbye scholarship. Nevermind while the players get shit that coaches get several income sources to build their millions from.

A pro football farm league is a real threat to college teams because a farm league would be better preparation for the NFL than college football. College football has too many rule differences and college schemes that make players woefully unprepared for the NFL. A NFL farm league would have the same rules as the NFL and use the same schemes that exist in the NFL to make for a smoother transition to the pros. Plus, those players wouldn’t have the demands of a full-time education to meet in order to play. Instead, they’d get paid for their work.

There are tons of cities/towns all over America that are nowhere close to a pro football team. No doubt that it could be done if there was the will to make it happen. Instead of cutting players drafted, you could put them on your minor league team. Then, you can accept walk-ons from high school teams across the country and form a team like that.

The answer is to ban colleges from being able to raise a lot of revenue through sports.

Yeah, minor league sports are a real business that survives in the US, seems like the same model could work for football. I’d maybe go out and catch a game if tickets were reasonably priced and beer is <$15 for a Bud.

Apologies for my ignorance, but can you elaborate on this point. I am interested, as I saw paying college athletes as a clear good compared to status quo.

At work. Reply later.

Asking if players are educated on CTE is head in the sand ignorance! Of course every player by 18 knows football is bad for you!

It should be added MLB is trying to nuke this system.

This is my issue. Donations are not likely being appropriately tracked when these schools do their movie studio math.

1 Like

The ones 90% of major sport scholarship athletes s get? Probably close to nothing. I guess you can count room and board.

Yeah I don’t know where funcrusher is, but here in America a huge percentage of college athletes don’t graduate making the scholarship virtually worthless. And a huge portion of those who do end up with degrees that are worthless.

It’s insulting to players to claim their scholarship has reciprocal value, especially given the reality of university educations and their cost in this country today.

1 Like

Okay the donors can pay for that crap. The players can take the majority of the revenue earned by their sport for tv rights, marketing, bowl wins etc.

It’s easy.

That’s interesting. I would have thought 80%+ graduated.

Is that true, though? I mean, I get that a substantial percentage of superstars in the big 2 sports don’t graduate, but those are a pretty small percentage of college athletes, when you consider the crew and cross country and lacrosse teams and what have you.

I don’t think anyone has much of a problem with lacrosse or whatever.

What will kids do with fewer opportunities to have their image and worth stolen from them and then completely exploited.

What will those kids do? Is this serious?

Your entire angle in this thread is like you are an alien from another planet and you just landed here yesterday and decided this is the subject you decided to argue.

There are decades of information covering so many angles of all of this. The value an athlete gets from a scholarship alone has been covered substantially over time. Athletes graduating college without being able to read and write. Athletes graduating from college never having been required to attend classes. Athletes graduating from college who were assigned assistants to take all their tests for them. This stuff has been going on forever. The NCAA just works much harder with the universities to hide it better.

You need to educate yourself a great deal more on these subjects before you start vehemently arguing them with people who have.

Like you said, an education is incredibly valuable so why should anyone here provide you one for free? Seriously.

This issue is absolutely heart breaking and it’s frustrating as all get out. Because too many of these high profile sport athletes have no choice. But that shouldn’t mean they get to turned out.

And agree with others. Football probably needs to be separate because even the NFL doesn’t pay players enough for what they do.

Why should athletes who generate massive sums of money care about universities with massive endowments needing to fund other sports. It is not their problem. They are entitled to the money. It’s the schools problem to figure out how to offer other sports.

6 Likes