NCAA v. Alston

Yeah, it’d be some nightmare like Clemson vs. Alabama every year for the football title.

9 Likes

Feel free to enlighten me. The schools aren’t making any money since they have to invest all that in other sports.

Are you arguing the Tv networks should make less money?

What is your argument? The coaches make too much?

…That the players should be paid. Come on man, this is getting into bad faith territory 5 posts ago.

2 Likes

Bad faith is saying a scholarship is worthless.

A 4 year degree with the insane cost of education in 2021 is valuable.

The vast majority of ncaa athletes go on to work other fields.

I will stop being lazy and bring some numbers into the discussion next time I post.

Most of the elite athletes in the sports making the schools money are not graduating.

The option of an NFL player of forgoing the last year or two of college and not graduating or going pro and making 7 figures is not a good option! They always choose the latter because they should!

You actually think an elite basketball or football player can attend 5 classes a semester, do every assignment and be an elite athlete? This just isn’t true for the vast, vast majority of them.

3 Likes

This is not true either.

Regardless, it costs nothing to allow players NIL rights

The coaches make too much money, too much money is being spent on locker rooms, weight rooms, practice facilities, the TV networks are making too much money, and lastly, the players aren’t making enough money. Which is the immediate cause of the overfunding of all of the previously mentioned stuff. Because there is a huge amount of money being made in big time college sports, you just can’t give any of it to the people who are creating the value.

2 Likes

My definition of “being drafted in nba/nfl” might be a bit narrow, but those athletes are not.

So what? Maybe a booster pays a left tackle a hundred thousand dollars to mow his lawn for a summer. Who’s being harmed?

1 Like

I’m not going to post anymore on this until I’ve watched some of the docs Gregorio posted above and/or read some pieces on the issue.

1 Like

Well, I think the nfl number is going to be at least around 50% according to the admittedly brief googling I did.

Regardless, I don’t think you’re valuation is correct. There’s plenty of cbb and cfb players who likely won’t get drafted but still generate huge revenue. Garza is far from guaranteed to be drafted for example but still loved.

Like, the NFL is slightly different because you’re just going to be undersized until you’re ~22 for most players. But in a sport where average careers are so, so short they shouldn’t have to choose between a year of school or making money.

Isn’t that self regulating though? Like Trevor Lawrence would be a top three pick when he’s 19, but a 19 year old tackle is going to be looked at with a lot more skepticism. And paying college players would alleviate that pressure to go pro, because playing football isn’t all or nothing, NFL or bust.

What do you think 4-5 years of D1 football does to the body and mind of the average player with no chance of going pro?

I got 2 concussions playing 5A HS football in Oklahoma. And I wouldn’t have played if the CTE risks were known then. Whatever a degree from State Univeristy is “worth”, it’s not enough.

4 Likes

I think it’s kind of insane to argue for unpaid college football players if you never played.

I mean shit, this is a pretty straightforward case of exploitation of labor. I haven’t watched football in years due to this.

3 Likes

Favorite scene from Friday Night Lights:

Brian Chavez: You’ve got to lighten up. You’re 17.

Don Billingsley: Do you feel 17?

Mike Winchell: I don’t feel 17.

1 Like

I respectfully ask you do you think that players today are being taught about the risk?

Probably, but I don’t think teenagers are capable of making decisions about the long term risks associated with football. I know I’m in the minority here, but it boggles my mind that people have no qualms watching football when student athletes are blowing their brains out because they can’t function anymore due to CTE.

6 Likes

And like, what’s the option here? Tell a strong, competitive kid who can make millions if he works hard that he should forego any chance of being a pro athlete and he should learn to code instead?

At least your position is consistent.

Football probably won’t last in college for the reasons you mentioned.

I’m probably biased since I skated for
8 years and still love to watch and people get fkd up bigly. Bmx’ers do to.