NCAA v. Alston

https://mobile.twitter.com/NicoleAuerbach/status/1377268332508897284

There is just no way right-wing justices give a flying fuck about [black] star basketball and football players at D1 schools. They just want to punish universities.

But maybe the greater good will still be served anyway. The NCAA is utterly vile and corrupt.

There’s something about any large sports organization - FIFA, NCAA, any olympic committee - that the worst most corrupt people always rise to the top and eventually dominate the organization. Not just sports - IMF, Red Cross, and maybe even stuff like the WHO and CDC now.

3 Likes

let me project how this is going to end. the conservative majority will carve out a way for colleges to pay athletes, but not call them students, interfere with athlete unionizing efforts, and pocket the billions anyway.

I need to find a good deep dive on this issue.

Athletes are getting paid though. Just not enough compared to the big winners but who are the big winners?

I have yet to see an actual breakdown of the $.

Athletes are generally not getting paid significant amounts and the real big issue is that the ncaa prevents them from making money on their own using the name, images and like EDs rights

College athletics are so sleazy even Scalia is like “you guys are scummy.”

1 Like

The reason schools lose money is because the rowing team is just a scam to get a failson a scholarship, if they just focused on major sports they’d make an insane amount.

It should also be noted the donations they get from the families of those who are on the unpopular sports probably makes up for what they “lose.”

Title IX also requires the that equal amounts are spent on women’s athletics.

At the very least, these various varsity sports are a campus amenity that helps put paying students in classroom seats.

How much is a scholarship worth?

This is not untrue, but it’s just very messy.

Once you allow this, the some booster can just give a college player a “job” using the players likeness to promote something and then pay that player many thousands of dollars to do it.

The schools with the biggest booster bankrolls will dominate.

Now I’m sure there are rules you could put in to prevent these kinds of abuses. But it not easy to craft a system in which you’re sure the players are not getting paid to play in an indirect way.

Well, I would argue that a scholarship isn’t payment, and even if it is it’s still restricting athletes from making money in other ways. No one with an academic scholarship is banned from selling their work for money. Only athletes are prevented from using their economic power.

1 Like

Every thing in that post already happens. Boosters already funnel money to athletes. Schools with more boosters dominate. Nothing you’ve described is even bad imo, but more importantly it’s already reality. The only issue is that athletes at some schools don’t have that culture or booster network to get paid.

1 Like

That doesn’t make the scholarship worth less to me though.

It’s not an easy fix. If they allow them to market themselves all these problems get worse save for the few. It will destroy the team concept.

I’m sure it happens some, but I think the current system keeps it in check somewhat.

Whatever domination exists now will be dwarfed by what would happen if there were no restrictions at all.

But my main point is that the whole thing is messy and there is no clean solution that doesn’t have major issues.

This has been trotted out every single time we decided to give players more economic rights. Regardless, people who have argued that it would end the sport as we know it have been wrong every time. Everyone still loves the olympics despite them allowing professionals. MLB/NFL/NHL/NBA all survived having free agency. English soccer went from amateur only to paying players and is still around.

There is an easy fix. Stop allowing colleges to prevent athletes from their NIL rights.

2 Likes

Cheating is rampant throughout the NCAA in Men’s basketball and football. Hell LSU’s coach was literally caught on an FBI wiretap making a ‘strong ass offer’ and nothing was done. Big name teams cheat massively all the time with little consequence, then Missouri gets punished harshly for something ridiculously minor.

There is an easy solution, allow NIL rights.

Finally, ‘whatever domination exists now would be dwarfed’ is damn near impossible. The past 10 champions include a total of 5 teams with Bama/Clemson winning 7 of them. It doesn’t get more dominant than that.

You’re also focusing only on imagined harms, while this would do real good in allowing young black men make money when they have real economic power.

3 Likes

These are not apt comparisons.

Why? Be specific. I’m especially interested in how the olympic comparison is not apt. What, exactly, would destroy college sports if an athlete can appear in an ad for a burger joint.

Right now, you’re basically ok with using a bunch of young black men’s labor to pay for largely white coaches and non-revenue (and largely white) sports. There’s massive upside here you’re ignoring.

So how about going after the cheating better? Is that really impossible. Surely there must be some way for someone to look at these violations and let bullshit like extra meal portions (I guess they’ve fixed that) slide and go after the real crimes.

Bama/Clemson domination in the recent past could easily be variance. I was thinking more about basketball when I made the statement. But I guess with football, things are pretty top heavy right now.

But at the end of the day, I’m not really arguing against what you’re proposing. All I’m saying is that there are some issues with it. But maybe they’re not really that bad. And maybe they are not as bad as the issues there are now.