NCAA v. Alston

For starters none of them involve getting an education.

All your examples involve professional sports. Paying players more than a scholarship, which I think is pretty fricking valuable, will simply end in the popular sports becoming separate from academics.

If any musician could make what some of the top recruits are making under the table they absolutely would take it. They are going to school to increase their chances of working for money doing what they enjoy.

There just isn’t the societal demand for art that there is for sports.

The real winner$ are the tv networks. I don’t know how you fix that.

There is rampant cheating but it could be a lot worse.

As for the racial component I would love to hear from people of color on this issue. Athletic scholarships have provided lots of opportunities for poc and women due to title IV.

Seems fine. Carve out college athletics into a junior professional league and let the players get paid.

3 Likes

Come on dude, their scholarships are worthless. The top athletes have been separate from academics for longer than I’ve been alive. You’re living in a fantasy land.

5 Likes

This is false. The olympics were amateur only for a long time. That’s why I specifically brought it up. English FA (soccer) was amateur only at first too.

And they can!

Pretty sure plenty of actors have starred in various while in school too. Somehow we all get by. None of your concerns hold water. Treat the athletes like every other student and allow them their NIL rights. It’ll be ok.

1 Like

I’m not disagreeing but nobody says this when dropping a take.

You realize this will end many other school sports. Maybe they find funding elsewhere but idk.

How much injustice would you tolerate in order to preserve other college sports?

I mean A) fine but also B) kids will still play club-level sports.

The current system is just completely unsustainable. Its a billion dollar industry and the content creators only get like a cheesy degree assuming they don’t get injured and wash out with nothing.

5 Likes

It absolutely wouldn’t if half of these schools weren’t just scams.

These are all literally better than the pros! The schools are spending absolutely insane amounts of money on the salaries of coaches, locker rooms etc. They pay more than pro teams for assistants, trainers etc.

There isn’t a debate in Europe or Canada about how our schools can’t have rowing and shit, because that’s stupid.

1 Like

Saying “billion dollar industry” without breaking down the $ doesn’t say much IMO.

I have never once seen anyone mention title IV having this discussion itf.

What injustice are we talking about?

Because that’s what donors pay for.

So the donors pay for the O line coach to make more than their NFL equivalent, but won’t save the sports you think will die if the players get paid?

1 Like

They don’t have to get a cheesy degree. They could easily opt for a more academic school.

They will die as we know them yes.

Those are some ridiculous locker rooms!

You mean, “change”?

2 Likes

What world do you live in? The athletes going pro aren’t attending many classes dude. These are the athletes we are talking about.

Trot out some numbers if it’s that obvious.

Several posts ago they were taking cheese classes only. Now they don’t even go to class.

What percentage of scholly athletes are we claiming don’t go to class?

I admit I can’t really envision what would happen next in this scenario completely.

What I do know is that the schools with the donors with the most money would spend a lot more and the rich would get even richer.

John q could sell a single t shirt to a booster for a million dollars.

I feel like this argument is driven by an ideological stance. I also feel like there’s undertones of soft racism.

You cant know this little about this subject and have a debate.

Saying it’s racist that predominantly African American elite athletes should be paid is one of the more galaxy brained takes ever uttered on this forum.

3 Likes