Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Return To Oz is elite, that shit traumatized my entire generation.

4 Likes

Man this was really good, academy snubbed it for sure wtf

1 Like

It had a weird rollout where it seemed to never go fully wide; my local AMC never screened it, so I had to go to an indie to get to it. I donā€™t know how much it matters to a movieā€™s award chances, but at the very least it canā€™t be helpful to never really be able to build up too much of a buzz.

But itā€™s just a loaded year. Even as someone who definitely appreciated the movie, Iā€™m not sure exactly where I would be doling out nominations to it if I had the power to. Maybe Paul Mescal or Jamie Bell replacing Sterling K. Brown in Best Supporting Actor? (I love Brown, but I just donā€™t see anything that stands out too much about the acting in his American Fiction performance.)

The PBS American Experience episode on The Wizard of Oz was really cool. Apparently had been a massively popular play for decades before the movie.

Also I didnā€™t realize until I watched it that the thing with her family and neighbors resembling the characters in Oz is what we all do in dreams. Our brain picks from a cast of characters it knows to act in our stories. Mind blown that it never dawned on me before then.

1 Like

Same thing with events like the shooting mixing with the football in the one you talked about recently. Its basically a movie theater showcasing things your brain is remembering from the past week or so.

1 Like

But also old stuff. I often dream Iā€™m back in Kirksville, MO, where I went to college. Sometimes Iā€™m back in college, sometimes I just moved back to Kirksville for some reason. I also have frequent dreams that my dog from college is still alive.

1 Like

Going to see perfect days tmw Night, will report back.

Promised land is streaming now for 3.99, prolly gonna watch it

Interested to see stop motion too I think

1 Like

The Catcher was a Spy

7/10

I think this was supposed to be Oscar bait. Every person was a A lister. I did have a laugh at Paul Paul Giamatti being in WW2 again. Paul Rudd does good as an enigmatic spy. Everything was perfectly serviceable but there was no oomph to the film.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Barton Fink was great! But Iā€™ve yet to see a Coen bros flick I didnā€™t at least like and Iā€™m a big Stan of theirs

1 Like

I loved Barton too. I mean it to be on the upper end. Ladykillers is just not good.

1 Like

I watched this one tonight, having loved John Magaro in Past Lives. This was really good stuff. Definitely felt some Modern Times inspiration here, with a fair amount of thematic overlap but set in a different genre and time period.

Always really impressed when a filmmaker can make this much out of a small idea and setting; this was my first Kelly Reinhardt and wonā€™t be my last. Cool to see a quick appearance from Lily Gladstone before her Killers of the Flower Moon breakout.

Recommended viewing to those who havenā€™t seen it. Itā€™s on Prime, but only for the rest of the month.

1 Like

Rewatching Executioners, starring Michelle Yeoh and Maggie Cheung, itā€™s a goofy mess of a superhero movie. Definite camp classic. Director Johnnie To is super underrated, Iā€™ve said that before. It looks great.

1 Like

Dune Part 1

I watched this a second time today. I didnā€™t really like it my first time but I liked it a lot more this time around. I think my first viewing was tempered by context as I was watching it with a group of non film nerd buddies who didnā€™t like it much.

Itā€™s visually amazing. Iā€™m looking forward to part 2.

That said two things still annoy me. The ā€œshieldsā€ are the dumbest thing ever. They do nothing. I also didnā€™t like all the whispering.

Grade : B+

The shields are a plot device to make the combat about hand to hand, since they block bullets, etc. Herbert wanted the intrigue and the fighting to be pre-modern in a sci-fi setting and thatā€™s part of the equation

They donā€™t block bullets. Dad guy dies by one of those heat seeking bullets.

3 Likes

Itā€™s wild to me that Charlotte Rampling was in both Zardoz and Dune. Legit cult sci-fi legend.

1 Like

Saw perfect days tonight and liked it a lot, probably moreso than the other foreign ones this year

1 Like

The shield block fast moving things. The dart slows as it enters the shield enough to pass through.