Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

@riskyflush

“Superbad with chicks” covers about 100% of that movie.

Wow that brings back a memory. Saw it at the drive in with a cat people double feature.

One of our buddies was on a date and during some scene in cat people his date yanked her arm that was holding his right hand and torqued his throwing shoulder. Poor guy missed a week of baseball.

But the thing was excellent.

Saint Maud

5/10

A big meh from me. From the start the twists aren’t much and before it’s half way through you know what’s going to happen, and it did. The cinematography was pretty good but the plot could be seen a mile a way.

wtf news of the day :

idk who had the IP rights, but it looks like they were in severe need of money lol…looking at the description and trailer, it seems that the only thing this has in common with the movie is

Traumatized by this event, [the protagonist] begins to suffer from severe vertigo

First cow

My first time back in theaters since last August (for "tenet ", different style), and over the last 2 years I’ve watched and loved Kelly Reichardt’s filmography, so I’d been looking forward to this.

Didn’t disappoint, independent cinema at its finest. The film imo works well on many levels, either as a character story or as a political or historical film. It was unexpectedly stressful though !

Highly recommend if you want to see an unusual western which goes away from the standard macho characters of the genre.

(If you’ve seen “dead man” some aspects may seem similar, including one of the main actors from that film in a small role here).

3 Likes

Broken arrow & face/off

Watched these two last week.

Both of the films have a “moment where one of the characters say the title of the movie” and face/off’s is particularly funny.

Of course face/off is especially great due to Nic Cage but I think everyone here knows that already :slight_smile:

Broken arrow i had never seen and given that it has low ratings everywhere, I was expecting it to be at least 50% boring, but no it was 100% fun. The action is great and villain Travolta is at his best here. Of course the plot is stupid but who cares. Just look at this.
Also BA has a perfect runtime (1:45) when FO is a bit too long (2:20). If you’ve never seen it you’re missing out and if you didn’t like it at the time it’s probably worth revisiting.

8 Likes

Thanks for the reviews. Unfortunately First Cow isn’t on any of the streaming services I have at the moment. I’ve seen both the Travolta movies years back, but it sounds like they should be on my “watch again if I see it and I’m in the mood” list.

On another note, is anyone watching this Netflix thing, Sweet Tooth? When I first noticed it, I was like “hell no,” but I looked at it again and it seems like it could maybe be good?

1 Like

it’s actually on youtube (low quality sadly)

also the director credits are badass :
face off

Sometimes I wonder why I bother watching slow or low budget stuff when I could be watching all of John Woo’s films :smile: some great gifs in the twitter thread below

https://twitter.com/somebadideas/status/1387488819667218437

2 Likes

I loved Chow Yun-fat back in the day. Been meaning to rewatch Hard Boiled for ages but am slightly apprehensive as I remember it as essentially perfect.

2 Likes

giphy

3 Likes

Wow Broken Arrow is a movie I haven’t thought of in years but 10 year old me loved it. Probably watched it at least 5 times in the 90s. Defintely an underrated 90s action flick

2 Likes

Never could get into Woo for some reason.

Same here. I have a soft spot for all those generic 90s action movies

3eql

1 Like

Speaking of 90s action I watched Maximum Risk again the other week. I had not remembered that one as perfect, but it was extremely enjoyable.

I don’t remember anything about Broken Arrow except that it was entertaining and I was like “whoa…that’s Howie Long!”

1 Like

Ha I have yet to see a single Van damme movie. I wasn’t into this as a teen and the guy was known as such a joke here in the 00s that I never bothered. I guess that’s a mistake I need to fix at some point.

1 Like

The Rifftrax of his Street Fighter movie is the place to start.

Bloodsport

1 Like