Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Continuing the discussion from Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1) - #10411 by Aofrantic.

Previous discussions:

1 Like

first

2 Likes

4 Likes

You were so loved, Don Tommasino. Why was I so feared, and you so loved? I was no less honorable.

1 Like

Too soon please. I speak only for myself.

@dlk9s I watched the vfx video with the directors for Talk to Me. I think this may be the first Corridor Crew video I watched within an hour of it being posted lol

I was glad to have a few minutes to dig through their YouTube catalog again. Fan of their other stuff?? I thought it was neat to see how smart they are as storytellers regardless of whether it’s a WTF horror movie or WTF story about Cookie Monster defending his cookies from your thieving hands.

3 Likes

Kicking off the new thread with the OG Sound of Freedom

2 Likes

I watched a movie last night called Possession (1981). It has Sam Neill as some kind of spy who comes home from a mission to find his wife is seeing another man. Normal enough. Then it goes completely off the rails. Violence and monsters. Screaming matches. The ending made me feel like when I saw Mullholland Drive for the first time. Where it ends and I’m like “I DON’T UNDERSTAND!”. Google helped explain this one. It’s always disorienting when a movie turns how someone feels into a physical manifestation of like a monster. Like in Eraserhead. I always need that explained to me.

4 Likes

Barbie just crossed the $1b mark. First female led film ever.

I hope this doesn’t stop Gerwig from making other small films.

1 Like

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/criterionchannl/status/1688324966142328832?s=20

Yup, Masque of the Red Death slaps. If you’ve only ever seen Roger Corman’s black and white MST3k movies, this is quite a shock. It looks amazing, every shot is vibrant and crisp. Corman was swinging for the fences with his wild use of Technicolor, it almost borders on psychedelia. Vincent Price was one of the very few actors who could make a role this goofy work.

https://twitter.com/criterionchannl/status/1686445562566950916?s=20

1 Like

Her next project is supposed to be adapting The Chronicles of Narnia for Netflix, but it seems like that was still in early stages of development. My understanding of the strike rules is that they can still work on spec scripts that haven’t yet been commissioned by or sold to one of the studios, so maybe inspiration for a good “one for me” project will hit during the forced downtime.

2 Likes

I read that. I couldn’t care less about some 5th rebook of a dumb fantasy novel but I guess I would have said same of Barbie.

Some talk of the Deepest Breathe freediving doc on Netflix in the last thread, just watched it and I was a fan. I like these extreme sport docs and this one has some beautiful underwater shots. These people repeatedly blacking out on their ascents seems like madness from a long term health outlook, that can’t be great for the brain.

Also kind of fascinating that all of these free divers say that once they’re underwater their heartrate drops and they feel complete peacefulness. You’d think being hundreds of feet underwater with no way to breathe would do the complete opposite.

2 Likes

I turned this off the first time after the opening sequence. Scared the shit out of me.

I managed to finish it and ughhhhhhh devastating and effective.

I am imagining what it’s like that deep underwater and why it feels peaceful for them. Have you ever been in a sensory deprivation tank? That is the closest I am imagining.

Omg if she did for Narnia and CS Lewis what she did for Barbie…

At this point she is like Jordan Peele for me. Give them a blank check. I trust her to innovate in a surprising and satisfying way with whatever property speaks to her.

PS. I went to an escape room based on Narnia. The first room had a secret exit to the next room…through the wardrobe!!! You had to follow the snowy footprint residue through the back and discover it was a false wall.

You know it’s odd we’ve never had a live-action Narnia that was decent. I know quite a few years ago there was a live-action adaptation but it never caught on for whatever reason. Yet surely Millennial Harry Potter fans would totally vibe with a classic YA fantasy franchise with a crypto-Christian message. Seems like the kind of project Peter Jackson or Guillermo del Toro would knock out of the park.

1 Like

I liked the one last decade like you mentioned. Just never got any steam to finish it off. People always lose interest after Wardrobe

1 Like

Agree, the Swinton one was at least decent and I enjoyed it as a theater watch even though I’m not sure I revisited it.

Not overly interested in seeing another adaptation, but if Gerwig is at the wheel then I’m not skipping it.

1 Like