Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Curious whether Soderbergh will be as boring a guest as JLaw

He was recently on Smartless and it was pretty dry. This one is a skip for me.

1 Like

Booooo thatā€™s a shame. Some folks are just not nearly as good at talking about their own craft.

Well if you want a fantastic Soderbergh analysis, the new Cinemastix video is just ten minutes and breaks down some of Soderberghā€™s more subtle but impactful storytelling decisions.

1 Like

I have never listened to the podcast but thereā€™s a short series on HBO following them around on their live tour, I really enjoyed it.

If you enjoyed teh HBO series, Iā€™d be stunned if you didnā€™t like the podcast. Itā€™s one of the only interview-type podcasts I listen to that isnā€™t guest dependent. Everything else (Conan, Rob Lowe, Dana Carvey and David Spade, Alec Baldwin) Iā€™ll skip through a guest I donā€™t care about.

Alec Baldwin has a podcast? I can hardly imagine a less endearing host (outside of hosts within the right-wing noise machine at least).

Maybe Iā€™ll give Rob Lowe a try though.

You did not mention this podcast is hosted by Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes, and Batman.

Now Iā€™m like well how boring could the episode beā€¦

I thought the ones from about 10 years ago were solid - at least the first 2. Dawn Treader fell off.

Wonder if they will keep the heavy Christian stuff - particularly writing out Susan for being a non-believer (some nice misogynistic undertones there as well).

It would be tough to do the whole series as the original kids disappear for the middle books only to return but basically the same age.

If you like these three guys, seriously check out the thing on HBO. I donā€™t even have strong feelings for any of them, but it was still a really fun watch.

1 Like

More Bateman than anyone else. He can do no wrong. Game Night now available for streaming! But the other two are also so funny that Iā€™d have only dreamed that kind of team up would work.

Sort of like if you ever drafted your ultimate band team up, then the rare occasion when those people actually did make an album together and it was TERRIBLEā€¦

Like as much as I want Soderbergh to put Adam Sandler in something, I understand why it hasnā€™t stood out as an option and might not work at all.

Baldwin is a fantastic host imo. He seems incredibly charming on the podcast, which I realize is not necessarily how he comes across in other settings. Off the top of my head, Ben or Jerry (one of the founders of Ben & Jerryā€™s, but I canā€™t remember which) was an episode I really enjoyed.

Very fun if he actually knows the guest. Lowe has led an incredibly interesting life. (His memoir is very good, too.) But there have been some cases where itā€™s obvious theyā€™ve never met and donā€™t really have anything in common. Those are really rough. Rick Springfield was a recent example.

One of the podcasts I look most forward to. The 3 of them have such great chemistry that the guest almost doesnā€™t matter.

2 Likes

Interesting. I guess I have a bit of morbid curiosity now. I do enjoy him as an actor.

1 Like

listened to soderberg on the watch, it was not the greatest interview of all time or anything but I thought it was worth the few minutes. note itā€™s just chris ryan interviewing him, probably would have been better with greenwald.

1 Like

I read the whole series as a kid without realizing it was supposed to be Christian allegory, cant be too hard to downplay those elements.

1 Like

I fucking love Possession. One my favs.

DONā€™T OPEN!

2 Likes

Same. Itā€™s pretty surprising that the movie versions never really caught on.

1 Like

RIP, beautiful artist

He does commentary on The Exorcist , available as that is on some DVDs or watever

3 Likes

The new Star Wars spinoff is mostly female from the trailer lol giggity

1 Like

I read this and thought we somehow already had a trailer on the next Rey movie. Mind temporarily blown.

1 Like

Right and I think Iā€™m the same in being fast to acknowledge how compelling his performances are, but thatā€™s a far different question than whether I want to listen to the same person over breakfast while they discussā€¦