Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

A movie so good that it made Ingrid Bergman quit her Hollywood career to go to Italy and make movies with Rossellini (+ marry, have children with) for a decade. Strong commitment to the art on her part !

(and sorry to fact check but Bicycle Thieves (which I still haven’t seen) is dir. by De Sica, not Rossellini).

1 Like

“You may know Ken from his roles as Santa in ‘Home Alone,’ the guy Bill Murray kisses in ‘Groundhog Day,’ or in ‘Armageddon’ where his character loses his life saving the world from a giant asteroid. Now, we need the world’s help to save Ken,” the statement continued.

As of Friday morning, the fundraiser had raised more than $88,000, from donors including fellow actors and former co-stars such as Steve Carell and Tim Meadows, People reported.

He was also in Seinfeld as the new dad who named his kid Seven.

3 Likes

A true “that guy”. Wasn’t he on Herman’s Head too? Hope he recovers and sucks how much we rely on Go Fund Me for health care in this country

2 Likes

I had no idea he was in so many recognizable things. A true character actor.

Agree just awful that he needs the financial help. Nice to see the donations going his way

The original movie is streaming free on Tubi.

I am going to mix things up and see if others want to add theirs too.

I have not seen a few contenders, including Poor Things, which I strongly suspect will make my list.

My 10 best viewing experiences of 2023

#10) Forks-The Bear (tv)
#9) Rye Lane (movie)
#8) How to Blow Up a Pipeline (movie)
#7) Oppenheimer (movie)
#6) The Holdovers (movie)
#5) Long, Long Time-Last of Us (tv)
#4) the Bear-The Bear (tv)
#3) Killers of the Flower Moon (movie)
#2) Connor’s Wedding- Succession (tv)
#1) Past Lives (movie)

Two episodes from one show seems dumb but I couldn’t leave them off. Honestly a third one from this season of the Bear could have made my top 10.

2 Likes

Strong list. Feels like The Last of Us was from another year by now, but obviously you’re right that it was 2023. That one you named is probably my favorite TV episode of the year, but Forks is an extremely strong runner-up. I have great appreciation for Connor’s Wedding as a bold artistic choice and a more realistic treatment of certain events than most TV/film treats them, but it just didn’t hit for me like it did for others; it wouldn’t be my favorite Succession episode this year.

I’ll probably wait to see how December shakes out before posting my list since it’s such a major film release month with a strong chance of inserting itself into my top choices.

1 Like

I am missing a few films that could creep in for sure. Also obviously missing tons of tv as I don’t watch that much of it.

Bump for “yep, still true this weekend.”

1 Like

Great. I’ll make that my Sunday morning activity. Will report back.

2 Likes

Five hour Napoleon is here!

I don’t know if I will watch this 1927 version, but man does it look as visually impressive as the Ridley Scott version.

1 Like

Just in case you’re actually interested in watching (all or part of) this, a big (partly Netflix-funded) restoration has been in the works for years and should be finished soon, so it’s probably best to wait a year or two (quality of version def makes a huge difference for movies that old).

2 Likes

I would probably not watch the original, but what you’ve described sounds great. I look forward to either watching it or watching someone else review it :upside_down_face:

I generally like these restored or enhanced editions as long as it’s subtle or purposed toward restoring rather than interpolating or adding to the original.

Obv I am referring to Star Wars

They used almost as much color filtering back then as Ridley does in 2023.

2 Likes

That’s because the lights didn’t translate to film properly. They had to cake them up and gauze them up just to somewhat read on camera with no way to see how it really looked on the day. They went too far but the reverse would would have been worse.

Eileen, new in theaters this weekend and starring Thomasin McKenzie and Anne Hathaway, is mostly dull and only ever occasionally breaks up the boredom with what feels like cheap tricks. McKenzie is by no means a bad actress, but her track record of playing in stuff that I actually like watching is getting rough. Probably the weakest film I bothered to see in the theater this year; not recommended.

FWIW: I went because I thought it had a promising trailer. And I just rewatched the trailer, and…still looks good! Even after I know better. Anyway, it’s pulling an 85% on Rotten Tomatoes so far, so don’t take my word for it.

1 Like

Blue Streak is an underappreciated 90’s masterpiece. Just old-school comedy: get some S-tier improv guys together and let them goof their way through the scene. It has that kind of Richard Pryor/Gene Wilder movie vibe. Seems like there hasn’t been a comedy like this since Anchorman.

3 Likes

I was 19 when this came out and the VHS (lol) was in the rotation along with Office Space, Half Baked, The Matrix, Baseketball, and The Usual Suspects

2 Likes

Rear Window

I knew essentially nothing of this movie going in. I noticed in the opening credits that the screenplay was by some dude; I figured Hitchcock wrote it. So I looked on Wikipedia and found that he has almost no writing credits. So I guess the fact that he was strictly a director was news I learned far too late.

Anyway, it was quite the engrossing film. Great use of basically a single setting.

.I had some minor quibbles (like the part where the nurse was talking about how Grace Kelly was a nice young woman and Stewart was a nice young man; dude was nearly 50 and over 20 years her senior) and the part at the end where Stewart fires flashbangs the villain slowly lumbers towards him with no attempt to go faster or cover his eyes was awful.

That’s more complaining than I wanted to do about what was a great film. It holds up well after 70 years. It’s not a 10/10 the way the other 1950s movie I watched this year (12 Angry Men) was, but I’d certainly welcome another Hitchcock movie viewing experience.

8 Likes