The Television Streaming Thread: Part II - Hot Takes, Jags Fans, and Bert

Just finished the third episode. Damn good show.

1 Like

Just wrapped it up. Definitely a late entry for my favourite tv series of 2013. That 5th episode with the attack on the brothel and the back story about her marriage. Incredible.

3 Likes

Incredible stuff for sure

Yes, and in addition to this, the rhetorical trick also conveniently (for conservatives) can be used to imply that the government should never actually do anything because maybe there’s something else they should do that is even more important! Centrist dems are particularly suspectible to this because it snags their technocratic tendencies. They REALLY love to write white papers about policy. Offering a technocrat the opportunity to convene a task force of academics and industry experts to write a white paper is like throwing a tennis ball for a golden retreiver.

3 Likes

Oh yeah! I think EB posted his favorite screen moments of 2023 in another thread. Ep 5 of BES is my far and away number 1.

That was Clovis:

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1734244148025401406?t=Gm8NBMks2ia6NaR-tipj5g&s=19

1 Like

Wait, thats what the channel will be called on cable channel guides?

ah yep, my bad.

Eventually every “+” app is just going to be the standard offering from that media company and therefore the “+” will be meaningless.

Sopranos S4E4 and still going. This really did get a lot better after the pilot.

Biggest question is how is Joe Pantoliano the worst part of the show? I think he’s been very good in a bunch of stuff, so I’m just kinda blindsided how bad I find him in Sopranos.

1 Like

I guess that it’s fair to say that the nature of his character doesn’t lend itself to sophisticated acting. Ralphie is a kind of vanilla sociopath.

1 Like

To me, he’ll always be Guido.

3 Likes

LOL never seent hat one. Jeez didn’t that guy ever have good hair?

1 Like

No that’s fair, but there’s just something about his performance that strikes me as fake. It’s subtle, like if they’d just cut away from each take half a second sooner, but instead we get a glimpse of the actor slipping out of his performance just before they cut. I’m enjoying his character and story otherwise.

You’ve never seen Risky Business?!

2 Likes

I don’t disagree re: Joey Pants. That happened for me anytime they extensively used someone with a distinctive body of work with which I am familiar, including (actors who I don’t think have appeared for Risky yet spoilered) Loggia and even to some extent Buscemi.

1 Like

Never! I’m a fan of Tom Cruise from Rain Man onward. Next you’re gonna ask me about The Outsiders and then I’ll just duck.

OMG Paul Dano sighting!!!

I think Risky Business is an incredible film. Aside from Cruise and a fun crew of early career charactor actors, the direction and cinematography are outstanding.

4 Likes