Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Listen, Prometheus was actually kinda good and Resurrection was a bop, and if anyone can’t accept that, maybe I don’t want them in my life.

3 Likes

It can be a fun movie that you still want to make fun of.

I’m fine with Resurrection and Covenant. But I will never forgive Prometheus for having the best of the best earth scientists behave 100x dumber than the crew of Nostromo - a freaking space freighter.

Oh look a little cobra-looking thing! Aren’t you cute? Let me put my face right in front of you as I make fun of you. The first advanced life ever seen outside of earth, and my first reaction is to mock it. I am the best and brightest earth has to offer. GMAFB

Oh let me get drunk and sabotage everything because a woman made me feel bad. That was convenient for the plot wasn’t it?

So the engineers spread life around the universe, and are clearly some kind of super-intelligent being, but if you wake them up they just go nuts and try to kill everything in sight?

It’s like a 4th grader wrote the script.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s fair. Those are probably the best candidates for that, really. Much of the time a simple bad movie that deserves ridicule just ends up being forgettable unless they drop a historic gem like “somehow, Palpatine returned” along the way.

It’s basically like how I listen to cheesy dinosaur rock like REO, Styx, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Def Leppard, etc. I like listening to it. But I also make fun of it incessantly.

Cocktail specifically is just a movie that I process as a true unicorn by being a pretty objectively rough movie that I nonetheless love watching. I’m a really tough sell on “so bad it’s good” or however the hell people try to recommend movies they like but don’t really want to defend.

Frequent exchange:
Me: “how was the movie?”
Person: “well, it was entertaining.”
Me: [nods knowingly, mentally disqualifies movie]

“Entertaining” is the “he’s got a good heart” of movies.

1 Like

Ill defend The Room to my death. Its a wonderful movie

I made that post and then seconds later realized what I had provoked specifically from you. I opted not to make an additional post to try to head it off.

1 Like

My “Time to defend The Room” signal certainly lit up in my brain

Just pretend that the supposedly “smartest humans” are actually just the kids of the richest people, so everyone has to pretend that they’re smart.

Just to bring you up to speed on previous Cocktail discourse:

2 Likes

Cocktail is a terrible movie. Idk why anyone likes it. More Austin Powers spoofs!!!

The Sultan of Swat
As far as pitchers go, Babe Ruth hit more home runs than almost anyone. He was the one exception to the still-uttered axiom that pitchers can’t hit. Every time someone broke his record, he’d break their record right back. Tom Cruise is sort of like the Babe Ruth of movies, especially once you learn the forgotten part of that Babe Ruth world record.

Most players never suffer more than 100 strikeouts in their career. Babe Ruth broke 1,300. He did that with an all-or-nothing approach, earning him yet another of his many nicknames: the King of Strikeouts. You gotta swing hard if you want to hit that many home runs. And you know what they say? The harder you swing…

Here are the ten times Tom Cruise swung so hard, he broke the box office.

Ranked: Ten Worst Tom Cruise Movies (According To Rotten Tomatoes)

Vanilla Sky is way under rated.

I say this every time I get sheets out of the dryer and didn’t remember it was from Stripes. Good movie how does it hold up, probably haven’t seen it in twenty years.

It held up pretty well. Except for all the gay jokes.

1 Like

I just watched the original Austin Powers. FFed through all the quiet moments with him and Liz Hurley. Boring. Dr. Evil still pretty funny.

1 Like

AP1 has some GOAT comedy.

1 Like

Original Austin Powers is still great.

#2: “That also has already happened.”
Dr. Evil: “Shit.”

Second Austin Powers is just 90 minutes of rehashes and bathroom jokes, and I judge the hell out of everyone who likes it. But I will still credit the moment where Tim Robbins laughs at Dr. Evil and mockingly says “I want a billion kajillion dollars!” before resuming laughter. Of all the mirrored jokes that it just trotted back out from the first one, that was the rehash that connected.

3 Likes

I didn’t hate “Far and Away”, and “Days of Thunder” is worth watching just for Nicole Kidman. She’s ridiculously cute in that movie.

1 Like

The Edge of Winter (free with ads on Crackle)

If the movie is half as good as the trailer :astonished:

Would never have seen the trailer if it wasn’t attached to the beginning of my DVD for Don’t Breathe. Now I feel like I missed a monster starring Tom Holland and Joel Kinnaman.