Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

I saw Get Out in a theater with -50% PoCs in the audience and boy, the ending scene with the cop really touched a raw nerve for a lot of people, incredible live theater experience.

2 Likes

Get Out was boring to you?

My exact experience. Made it even better.

People audibly gasped when they saw the cop car roll up but then spontaneously cheered when they saw it was the TSA doofus instead of a real cop

1 Like

Boisterous is the word I would use for the whole climactic sequence.

Me: Man, I’m never going to have time to watch all the great movies and TV shows I haven’t seen yet.
Also me: [watches Cocktail start to finish, for the ~20th time]

Cocktail is the best evidence I have that my taste in music and movies is 90% driven by nostalgia and 10% by quality. This is an objectively bad movie - 9% on Rotten Tomatoes! But I absolutely love it. It’s been called the best worst movie ever made, and the Fast and Furious of bartender movies. Both descriptions are true. Tom Cruise is completely ridiculous and the storyline is nonsense. A prominent scene takes place in a NYC bar (Cell Block) where the business model seems to be two bartenders serving ~800 customers who are more interested in open-mic poetry than drinks?

But the underappreciated Bryan Brown is excellent (F/X is a wonderful movie), and Gina Gershon is incredibly sexy in with a look that could only be appealing to someone born between 1968-974. And of course, Elisabeth Shue is perfect. 10/10 bags of popcorn.

Imagine seeing this poster and not rushing out to see this:

2 Likes

the poster’s tagline is pretty funny

Yeah , this. I’d have guessed Onion for sure.

Based on comments ITT I decided to rewatch the third LOTR movie, and yeah, it really is disappointing. I think largely because the source material itself falls off. Up till now Tolkein’s storytelling hasn’t given us any special reason to care about Minas Tirith or Denethor or the heir to the throne or any of that sort of thing. No one wants Viggo to become the wise king of wherever, we want him to be a sexy mysterious traveling rogue.

Also I hate that the Scouring of the Shire was completely left out of the movie; that was by far my favorite part of the entire book. Saruman being a petty little bitch who tries to bully the Hobbits out of spite is such a great WWE heel storytelling beat, you know you want to stand up out of your seat and boo that guy. What a dick.

Will be showing at the theater in Roku City.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1564239512376692737

Holy shit, its real? I saw the trailer and thought it was just a parody trailer, but they’re going full on Walk Hard with it, eh?

1 Like

I recently saw American Pie again. Great comedy, some really funny bits, crisp writing. A teen comedy classic.

Based on that, I actually rented American Pie 2 on Prime. It was complete shit that seems to have been written by a moron. 2/10.

It’s like they took the least funny bits from the original and blew them up to be bigger and less clever. Shit movie.

Agreed but I’ll watch and enjoy just about anything w Eugene Levy.

Wow, I’m glad someone earlier in the thread reminded me about The Northman, which I’d forgotten about. If you like Eggars’s movies, you’ll like this. Amazing to see what he can do with a project that’s so much more epic in scale than his previous two films.

Also, for any Criterion Channel bros, Double Indemnity is leaving at the end of the month, good time to see what might be the best film noir of all time.

1 Like

Is there an actual legitimate purpose for a double indemnity clause? It seems like one of those things —like bearer bonds— that only seem to exist to facilitate movie crimes. There must be a non-shady purpose for them.

At this point, these clauses are mostly an accident of history that persists as a sales tool for insurance salesman. These clauses gained popularity in the early 20th century when a) households that were buying insurance mostly consisted of one man with a job and one woman taking care of a bunch of kids and b) a much larger percentage of those men had jobs where you might fall into a machine and get mangled to death on the job. So the risk of an accidental death on the job leaving your poor helpless wife and children penniless was very real or at least a slick insurance salesman could make the risk feel very real, so double indemnity was a popular rider that people would add to their insurance. In addition, the coverage is usually very cheap because insurers are good at making the risk of accidental death seem high, but writing in all kinds of exclusions and obligations for the insured to prove accidental death which made it hard to make a claim. Anyway, the insurance industry was success a hundred years ago selling these things so they became common practice. The real practical value of them today is probably pretty low.

1 Like

If you were to define film noir in a single film, has to be “Double Indemnity”.

1 Like

funny because I got the exact opposite impression from that scene, i.e. that they were making it obvious that the monkey was CGI as a nod to the previous “we can’t use chimps” line.

I also couldn’t really get into the movie. It has some very good moments, but overall I guess all this “high concept” stuff is just not as appealing to me as straightforward genre movies (e.g. when the “aliens” showed up I thought “here we go…finally” only to be let down 30sec later)

https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/status/1565448288802934786