Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Watched His Girl Friday. It’s fine. As Cary Grant comedies go, it’s not on the level of Bringing Up Baby or Arsenic and Old Lace, but it wasn’t bad.

One of my favorite comedies as a kid, which I discovered over time has no popularity at all, was The Distinguished Gentleman. Eddie Murphy plays a grifter who sees an opening to get on the ballot for U.S. Congress as a third-party candidate running under the same name as the dead incumbent, and wins just based on name recognition. He moves to DC and continues grifting. I rewatched the movie some years ago and it’s nothing special, but I still have a lot of nostalgia for it and there are still some hilarious moments. The clip that I always come back to is him trying to strong-arm his way onto a powerful committee assignment almost immediately upon arrival.

NAACP Impersonation - The Distinguished Gentleman - YouTube

Johnny Mnemonic? lol, is everything okay over there, Criterion?

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1669435407635828743?s=20

But hold up, they buried the lede:

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1669435410013986817?s=20

GHOST IN THE SHELL
:vince1:
ZARDOZ
:vince3:
DARK STAR
:vincelaser:

Finally managed to catch this. First third was very boring imo but last third was pure fun so this balances out…
(also I’m 100% sure I would have hated the French remake with famous actors, so thanks for advising me off that months ago !)

Anyway this was fun but not really a horror movie, there’s a few times where this made me wish I was watching the descent or texas chainsaw instead…Just like when I recently watched the “Invisible man”, which was fine, but also had me feeling I should have just put on Halloween 1 or 2 or Malignant…might be time for me to rewatch some horror classics !

:harold:

2 Likes

That title gets an F from me

1 Like

Yeah, it’s hard to explain what One Cut of the Dead is without giving the game away, but it’s really a Fablemans-style movie about the joy of making small-budget productions and connecting with your family. I don’t think anyone else liked it nearly as much as I did but I’m gonna keep pushing it on people.

2 Likes

Idk if this makes sense, but I think movies like this need a great song and music video in order to bridge niche cult audiences with people who would get if if they saw it in a different format.

I can think of a lot of people that wouldn’t be able to appreciate why The Breakfast Club is not just good but an essential part of pop culture if they watch the whole movie, but if they see it via this music video, they will understand on a deep level why the movie continues to resonate decades later.

1 Like

Second best freezeframe to end a movie, after Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

3 Likes

THIRD best bro

First

Second

Third

Fourth

9 Likes

That’s a good list!

Also, ff ending must be old I know all those.

1 Like

Pardon my French but

gets double points for being both an iconic freezeframe and iconic “look into the camera” (not sure about the proper English term)

And thanks for reminding me I really need to watch Thelma&Louise :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Magnifique

1 Like
1 Like

Watched The Breakfast Club with my daughter this morning. The last time I saw it, I was in middle school. Happy to say that it still holds up. Now I can see that Claire is the real weirdo for eating unrefrigerated sushi for lunch.

3 Likes

Oof, if Marvel movies are showing up on the Flop House, that’s not a good sign.

1 Like

They gave a great assessment of the MCU brand.

“Low ceiling, high basement.”

Quantumputania is the first that was bad enough to deserve their ire. And tbf, it is pretty bad.

That’s a pretty good list.

1 Like

Otherlife

A scientist develops a revolutionary drug that alters the brain’s sense of time, creating a virtual reality directly in the user’s mind. The government attempts to take over her project, claiming the drug can solve overcrowded prisons.

Holymotherofgod.gif

This was indistinguishable from the very best episodes of Black Mirror and could even be seen as a prequel to White Christmas.

To me, this movie shows that what fell flat about

Don’t Worry Darling

wasn’t the tech behind the twist but how the twist was revealed. These movies don’t have anything close to the same story, just in the sense that the premise behind the tech in both movies is sort of similar.

You could also see this as sort of the origins of Total Recall technology if things got kinda goofy lol (the poster, not the tone).

Watch for free ASAP on Tubi.

https://tubitv.com/movies/587115?link-action=play&tracking=google-feed&utm_source=google-feed

Would you add or strike any from the below list in progress?

More Movies/TV Shows For That ****Ed Up Black Mirror Feeling

Synchronic
Vivarium
Primer/Upstream Color
Time Crimes
Ex Machina
The Wave
Advantageous
Parallels
ARQ
Freaks
The Invisible Man