Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Haven’t seen that one. By Brandon Cronenberg?! :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Did anyone watch the mini series “Lonesome Dove” from the 90s? It got an 8.7 on imdb. Is it better to read the books or is it good enough to safe time and read other stuff?

1 Like

Larry McMurtry is a god among authors. The show was beyond acclaimed, too.

I found his stuff to be incredibly boring, but it’s obv just not my taste lol. It is objectively amazing.

Larry McMurtry was also co author of the screen adaptation of Brokeback Mountain.

His co author was Diana Ossana. I mention her because I’m shameless and was interviewed alongside her a couple of years ago to talk about Stephen King.

But most of all for you, she also had some relevant comments about Larry McMurtry :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

“My favorite King novel is The Stand,” stated Ossana. “It’s an epic read about the war between good and evil. It’s also a book I would love to adapt into another limited series. I had the good fortune to meet Stephen King and his lovely wife when Larry [McMurtry], my daughter Sara and I traveled to the White House in 2015 for President Obama to honor Larry with the National Humanities Medal. The first thing he said to me was about Larry’s and my collaborative novel Pretty Boy Floyd. He said he thoroughly enjoyed the book and complimented me on my ability to portray the characters’ inner lives. I couldn’t have been more thrilled had the President awarded me a medal. King’s ability to create characters with complex and morally ambiguous motivations, people readers immediately relate to and come to care about, is a hallmark of his horror/psychological fiction, evoking sympathy and terror when those characters’ lives go horribly wrong.”

Yeah it’s got a sci fi mind/body control thing going on. Also covers the whole big tech spying on everyone and selling their data. It’s kind of trippy and much more violent than a typical Black Mirror.

2 Likes

I guess he has a lineage to preserve :astonished:

1 Like

That movie is fucked up baby

Going to be dumb enough to see The Flash tonight.

Really wish they had actually just done Flashpoint though. I absolutely don’t have to see another Batman origin, but the Flashpoint twist is really good with that.

In the comics/animated movie…

Barry Allen drives to the Batcave, where Batman attacks him. Batman is revealed to be Thomas Wayne—in this timeline his son, Bruce, was killed by the robber instead of his wife and himself. In this timeline, Thomas brutally beat the robber to death for murdering Bruce, and Martha went insane at the loss of her son, becoming the Joker.

Sometimes I look at Charlie Brooker’s work from before Black Mirror and I thank the AI gods that he leaned further into bleak dystopia vibes than his Daily Show-esque roots might have suggested.

Anything good on Shudder right now?

2 Likes

I’d vote read Lonesome Dove. Fwiw I’ve given it as a gift to a few friends who weren’t into literature or for that matter literacy and it still worked out. I haven’t read it in a million years but I remember the first 100ish pages are pretty sloggy, but if folks stick with it then it usually gets its hooks in. It’s not Melville or McCarthy, it’s more of a summer read, but it’s a long way from Louis L’Amour and I think McMurtry gets a raw deal from snoots

If you do read the novel first then imo try to erase whatever glob of brain already knows who is cast in the miniseries and read the novel with fresh eyes and then watch it right after. Tbh I barely remember the miniseries but in my mind it was worth it

1 Like

Gun to my head, I could never have guessed who the actor is in the center of this shot from Groundhog Day.

Maybe just me, but my jaw is still on the floor.

2 Likes

Michael Shannon?

Edit: Yup, wow he does look really different when he is smiling and not acting super creepy!

1 Like

You have the eye! You have the eye.

I feel like a movie.

3 Likes

Finally saw Top Gun Maverick. As a 14 year old boy when the original came out this hit all the right notes for me. Maybe a little long.

I am introducing a complimentary rating system to bags of popcorn. I give it 4.5 pickles. That there is no pickle emoji takes the shine off a bit, though.

2 Likes

I don’t have Shudder so would very much appreciate your review if you watch Broadcast Social Intrusion

In the late 90s, a video archivist unearths a series of sinister pirate broadcasts and becomes obsessed with uncovering the dark conspiracy behind them.

1 Like

Scare Me with Aya Cash

1 Like

Looks like it could be fun. Filmed in Atlanta.

Get well, Jamie Foxx.