Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

I just joined the small elite club of people who have watched The Angriest Man in Brooklyn.

1 Like

Scrolling through Amazon Prime movies today. There was a category for Celebrate Fatherā€™s Day. I just had to laugh when I saw Manchester by the Sea listed under thatā€¦

4 Likes

I had complete authority to pick a movie last night, and I was waffling between two:

• The Irishman: a movie that Iā€™ve theoretically been excited to watch since it came out, but still havenā€™t.
  • Almost Famous: a movie that Iā€™ve seen and loved, and have been jonesing for a rewatch

I chose Almost Famous because I thought the kids had a chance of enjoying it. 2 of the 3 (plus my wife!) thought it was boring, but I loved it again. An already good story with great performances, dialed up to 11 with a perfect soundtrack. Just an immensely satisfying rewatch.

The Irishman remains the ā€œInfinite Jestā€ of movies for me. I am convinced that I want to consume it, but revealed preferences point to me lying to myself.

1 Like

Guessing that was still the right choice.

Watching The Irishman with kids sounds like a bad idea in most cases. Itā€™s like 4 hours long and I donā€™t think that subject matter is going to capture the attention of most kids/teens.

1 Like

Oh I definitely made the right choice. Maybe I need to resign myself to the fact that I have to consume The Irishman over 2-3 nights instead of holding on to the belief that Iā€™m ever going to have 3 1/2 hours of uninterrupted time where I wonā€™t want to do anything but watch The Irishman.

2 Likes

I find it so hard to understand how someone could find Almost Famous boring. :disappointed:

I thought it was pretty dull when I saw it when it was new. The longstanding raves about it have always confused me, but I havenā€™t revisited it.

1 Like

Yeah that was definitely a choice of 2:3 vs 0:3 lol

What are they going to pick in retaliation?

Fam and I started Titanic too late last night. Got to the interstitial before the final night and had to give up. Despite fairly dated looking CG, the movie still holds pretty well, and Billy Zane always gets all the bags of popcorn from me.

I donā€™t think theyā€™re looking to retaliate - it was just a Fatherā€™s Day choice. Although weā€™re currently making our way through the TV show Manifest, which is its own special form of torture. That show is ttttttttteeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiibbbbbbbbbbbbbbllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeee.

1 Like

Give up and watch Beef instead. We really enjoyed it

It is out of my control. My family has decided that we must finish it.

Manifest? I think I watched a season of that. Is it still on? You have my apologies.

Weā€™re only a bit more than halfway through the first season. Bad times, man.

Titanic was great, and it always feels like its reputation has deteriorated over time for some reason even though it definitely holds up.

Yeah, I always really enjoyed it growing up and felt like a bit of an outcast, but I think my friends either A) never saw it and had irrational Leo hate or B) saw it, loved it, and pretended not to to fit in. Iā€™m excited to get to the actiony parts tonight. Cameron always does them so well.

I must not have known much about Kathy Bates growing up, because she is FAR more prevalent in the movie than I remembered. She is essentially the bridge between Leo and the Rich folk, and has some good commentary throughout.

I will say the CGI is pretty dated (again, havent gotten to the sinking scene yet, so we will see how that holds up.) There is an early shot where the captain is on the Bow looking out over the ship and people milling around, and its clear that both the ship and the people moving around on it are not even slightly real.

Disregard my previous statement, I forgot we were talking about a family watch.

Do not watch Beef with your family unless the kids are grown.

Also donā€™t watch the self-indulgent final episode at any age. But overall, definitely a good series.

1 Like

The Flash was good beyond all reason.

The CGI is stunningly bad. Like enough to drop the letter grade for the movie.

But it was otherwise fantastic.

Rewatchables drops an episode on Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Looking forward to this one. Raiders is the best of the original trilogy, but after Temple of Doom was a MASSIVE drop off a cliff (something that many people pretend didnā€™t happen for whatever reason) and there was a long gap before the third installment, Last Crusade was a big dog to actually be as good as it was. Itā€™s a lot closer to Raiders-quality than Temple-quality.

1 Like