Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Found another “classic” that cis white bois can’t enjoy anymore. I don’t make the rules. Any response void for mansplaining.

Watched temple of doom last week for some unknown reason, god it’s horrible.

Almost Famous is like the We Are The Titans of cheese for a different subculture

errr Remember the Titans. i forgot

1 Like

This was possibly the most disappointed I’ve ever been in a movie theater. Either this, or “Jedi”. It’s a tossup. Fucking ewoks, man.

1 Like

Granted that it’s been since the mid-00s since I’ve seen Temple of Doom, but I remember being floored by how completely unwatchable it was, and I’m not at all motivated to ever give it another chance; I’d sooner rewatch Crystal Skull (also no plans to do that).

I’ve only listened to part of the podcast so far, but I was heartened to hear about how much Spielberg himself apparently hates it and how much crap it apparently took at the time. And yet it’s sitting there with a 7.5/10 on IMDb. I swear that has to be getting buoyed by people giving it high nostalgia votes without actually making themselves watch it again. One of the bigger misses I can remember seeing on the IMDb rating scale.

1 Like

You watch The Apostle yet?

No. I don’t know who owns the rights to that movie, but I’ve kept my eyes peeled and it hasn’t shown up on any streaming service in 2+ years. I’ll continue to stubbornly wait for it to come available on a service I’m already paying for. (I do see that I could check out a physical DVD of it from my local library, but meh; I’d almost rather cave and pay the $3-4 than go to that hassle.)

1 Like

Listening to this episode!

To me Temple of Doom was what proved Indiana and every other historical adventure series is extremely niche interest stuff.

The experience of Raiders of the Lost Ark elevates it into something supernatural. Almost religious.

But Temple of Doom shows what Indiana movies are really about. Crystal Skull and Dial of Destiny show what Indiana movies are really about.

We want the kind of stuff those two PERFECT Indiana movies inspired, but that was never the experience of Indiana Jones.

1 Like

Not going to stop liking it no matter what that makes me.

It’s this weird thing that people think that you automatically condone the actions of everyone in any movie or tv show you like.

1 Like

Anyone here who enjoys The Rewatchables should check out another Ringer movie podcast: The Big Picture, hosted by Sean Fennessey and Amanda Dobbins.

A lot of the episodes discuss current releases and the general movie economy, and won’t necessarily be interesting to Rewatchables fans (I often skip these). But the two types of theme episodes they have are very much in the Rewatchables spirit:

• Halls of Fame, where they take a famous actor/director and go through their filmography in depth
  • Movie Drafts, where they take a year (occasionally some other theme) and draft movies in certain categories. This typically includes Chris Ryan, and these are some of the funniest, most enjoyable episodes that The Ringer puts out. Much like Empireman mentioned somewhere above, I almost can’t run while listening to them because I burst out laughing too much. (The most recent one includes a discussion of whether the definition of “Third base” has changed, and has Chris Ryan arguing that it’s actually a regional definition.)

I think to get the full effect, it’s worthwhile to go back into the archives and listen to some of the older episodes, because there are often running jokes and callbacks. But it’s a great listen even if you were to direclty dive in to the new ones.

2 Likes

Big Lebowski would be an especially odd example of this. It’s one thing for a movie that takes itself seriously to have messaging in it that people object to, or even for a lead character to have broad endorsement as heroic when they are not, but a pure comedy where the audience is simply being asked to laugh AT every character rather than really with any of them? I wouldn’t have guessed that anyone at all would have that reaction.

Of course, I’m strongly guessing that’s a fringe opinion, so I won’t be doing the Buzzfeed thing and cranking out a summary of some viewpoint as if it’s widely held and then base it on five tweets from randos.

2 Likes

This happens in the reverse, too, when they reference a tweet I think is awesome and must have gone viral but they plucked it out of obscurity from seven likes and no retweets

(it totally wasn’t posted by BuzzFeed gimmick accounts)

It’s all fun and games until half of the guys in your dorm won’t stop saying, “well, that’s just like you’re opinion, man” and think drinking White Russians is a personality trait.

1 Like

Over the past few months I intermittently played catch-up on all their movie drafts and it was generally an enjoyable listen. While the gimmick of including an industry celeb may often not work (see: JLaw on Rewatchables), the draft they did where Tarantino was one of the drafters was excellent.

Listening to their drafts does make me think that I wouldn’t want to play board games with these people. “Oh, I won’t draft this movie because I know how desperately you want it.” GTFO with that weak stuff, if anything draft that movie BECAUSE it screws the other person. I wish they would include Mallory Rubin on the drafts more often because of how cutthroat she is in any draft. They had Sean on a Ringerverse 2023 hype draft, and it’s one of the funniest drafts I’ve heard on any Ringer pod because Mal trolls Sean relentlessly after he blows his top pick and it puts Sean on tilt for the duration of the draft.

1 Like

Part of why I like some shows and movies is BECAUSE the actions of people in the movie are detestable. It’s just make believe!

I mean, I love violent video games, but I hate real-life violence. Violence in video games can be fun because it’s fake! I just have to be sure my brain is out of Grand Theft Auto V mode before I get take my kid to his coding class.

2 Likes

Speaking of a classic example, Anna Gunn from Breaking Bad is in a pretty good thriller set in an isolated winter location :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Twenty years after the disappearance of her daughter, recovering alcoholic Darlene Hagen is preparing to host her family’s Christmas celebration with her best friend. On Christmas Eve, Darlene’s ex-brother-in-law arrives unannounced, bearing nostalgic gifts and a heavy secret. Trapped together by a dangerous storm, she soon finds herself caught between reason and ruthless instinct as a battle of wits escalates into a violent game of revenge.

I’ll have to check it out. I like those survival thrillers. Panic Room and Hush come to mind… Gerald’s Game as well. There’s a ton of them,

Megan Fox has a pretty good one called Till Death that came out a few years ago. It’s worth a watch when you’re looking for a decent B-movie.

1 Like

Couple of things about this. Episode 9 was also way off from the general tone of the series for me. I get why episode 9 had to play out the way it did to set up episode 10, but I generally didnt vibe with it. The series kinda peaks with the end of episode six (I think six, the basketball game) but I did enjoy the rest of the series just not to the same extent.

The use of late 90s/early 2000s alt rock and nu metal is incredible. After the first two my wife and I lost it every time a new song kicked in. Music design is absolutely perfect in the series, especially with the cuts to title both in the beginning and end of each episode.

Damn it, ive only seen Raiders but the trilogy is on the list of movies my wife has to watch. Now im really not looking forward to Temple.

Though I did manage to have fun with MI:2 despite how absolutely dogshit that movie is.

Please tell me which one this is if you can. Mallory being vicious sounds like a lot of fu