Help Desk

I tried. It converted to jpg.

Herman

Uploaded from my desktop, automatically converted to jpeg. 3,343 kB.

Hot take: gifs make the forum worse. Good job, Discourse!

1 Like

Fortunately, we only post jiffs here

1 Like

I will perform an EMERGENCY FORUM UPDATE shortly. This will take us offline for multiple minutes, perhaps as many as 8.

4 Likes

I want to be compensated for lost time

2 Likes

seemsOK

4 Likes

In the recent days I noticed several videos posted that I was unable to play, for example:

This is both on Win 10/Opera as well as my iPad.

That’s been a recurring problem with different sites since day 1. Sometimes it resolves, sometimes it doesn’t, sometimes it affects a new site that was working previously.

1 Like

what causes threads to be “tracking” (I just assumed this automatically happens if I post in a thread)? I have a bunch of threads in my “unread” list that I’m apparently “Tracking” even though I’ve not posted in them and I am 99.99% sure I’ve never manually subscribed to them (or any other threads)

Herman

1 Like

From a quick search threads also get set to tracking once you’ve read them for ~4 minutes.

You can manage these settings from Preferences under Notifications.

Thank you!

1 Like

So is there a size limit for animated avatars? Because I see some simple ones still work but mine doesn’t work. JT’s interestingly doesn’t work inline but when you quote him the quoted avatar is animated

I think at some point some avatars were converted to animated PNG’s through a process I’ve never been able to replicate, and I’ve never managed to successfully upload an animated PNG anywhere. You also might have older versions of some avatars still cached?

Every single part of image resizing and conversion has been broken and dysfunctional in a revolving sequence of fail for months. Whoever is responsible for this part of the software is pretty terrible at their job imo.

2 Likes

Do bookmarks disappear if you set a reminder and you click on that reminder? Is there a list of all my bookmarks? I can only see them in the notifications when the reminder appears.

Can we get a new forum update? Are they breaking our beloved gifs again?

Your gif is giffing along just fine.