Help Desk

If you have any questions about how to do something in Discourse, post them here. I’ll also be adding instructions for quoting posts, posting links, embedding media and all the basics that are a little different here than what you may be used to.

We’re still in preview mode. We should be open for general posting in less than 24 hours.

Can we/how do we go about making “wiki” posts?

What is a wiki post?
How to create a Wiki post

I can imagine this functionality would be quite useful - microbets podcast thread for example or, when it’s created, an environment/climate change thread with the opening post gradually being added to to create an easy to find resourse.

edit 1: This edit is by me (StrontiumDog

edit 2: this edit is by ggorei’s non-admin gimmick account for testing things

edit 3: this is by marksman and I greegree

edit 4: This edit was made by otatop, faaaaaaaaaar outside the proposed edit window being discussed elsewhere.

I’ve made an edit - can someone else give it a go

Now that I’m logged out of my Admin account I do not get the Edit option, just the regular Reply. So mods/admins and OP can make edits to the wiki. Maybe that’s because this account is new, or maybe regular posters can’t edit wikis. I’ll look into it

okay, that was just because I was a level 1 basic new user with limited permissions. I made myself a normal user and now I can edit your wiki

Is there a way to make this look better? I don’t like the name and avatar getting their own big ass horizontal line. It kills my reading flow.

(Not on mobile - but sized browser) I can see a layout/sizing issue.

2 screen shots - one from here and one from boing boing - which also uses discourse,

I’m on a win7 laptop (FF & Chrome) - seems to be overridding any responsive css it may have with…

Sorry. I’m being imprecise with my language. I mean “line” as in “line of text” (although most of the space for text is blank unless the username is really long). I’m saying I don’t like this format.

————————
Blah blah blah blah
Like, quote, whatever
————————

As opposed to what we had previously

—————————————
AllTheCheese |
—————————————

Anyway to make it look like that?

… it’s not just there though - there are a few more fixed widths further up the avatars container chain…

Yeah that’s what I mean. Bummer if we can’t do it, but thanks for letting me know.

Seems a weird approach but they’re more experienced devs than me so they must have a reason - especially as they are already using SCSS which makes complex media query css a doddle(ish)

:slight_smile:

Don’t remember if that conversation was with me or not. It could be changed with some CSS transform, but that’s the kind of thing that would be guaranteed to be constantly breaking on various platforms. I think a change like that would be better tackled with the handlebars templates.

I’ll put this on my todo list as something to look into, but major changes to template files is something that will be a bit down the road. I have higher priority things to fix first.

What are the rules wrt editing posts? The wiki post stuff has potential^ but I’m trying to work out the best way to do almanac style OPs - links added to the OP over time - and currently the edit button (in normal posts) disappears after a certain time/other condition.

^ assuming the editing capability can be a level above all users and to all users who are not idiots/trolls/troublemakers

zikzak was posting about trust levels and things like that, I imagine over time we get more editing abilities but I’m not sure if the trust levels are documented somewhere.

There are two settings for this, one of which is how long you have to ninja edit, currently set to 10 minutes, and how long you can edit with the edits showing, currently 1 hour. These can be set to whatever the community wants.

The trust levels are pretty well documented on the Discourse site, and they can also be configured however the community chooses. Right now all new users are being granted Trust Level 2 because we figure anybody currently signing up is already an established poster. Presumably this will be turned down to much more restrictive levels once we have most of the existing users here.

There is a longer conversation the community probably needs to have about TL3 and 4. The former allows privileges that we may not be comfortable allowing people to reach just based on posting patterns. The latter is a mini-mod that may not be used at all.

Forgot to address this part.

I’ve already started a how-to thread with a wiki OP and wiki posts. Play around there a bit and see what you think.

ah - sorry missed that that was a wiki post - should have played around in there.

So to do updateable OPs it’s either

1. OP only edited by author but edit threshold needs to be infinity(?) rather than 1 day or
  2. Make the OP a wiki post and have editing by all (TL2+)

I think both of those are probably good for different threads and would work pretty well.

Nice.