Great American hegemony - our definitions count, yours don't, wherever you are.

You’re assuming I didn’t stop and reflect. You’re wrong. I reflected long enough to remember where and when that term was used, and the people I was with at the time, who used the phrase with some pleasure and expected others to use it. That took some time because it was so fucking long ago lol.

The real problem with this derail has been cuse’s disingenuous attempt to draw a parallel with use of the n word (and failing, obviously). But I guess he has his own demons.

I see we’ve reached the part of the proceedings where the person using the racist word points out that the REAL PROBLEM is the person pointing it out.

2 Likes

Also the slippery slope part. Why, if jalfrezi can’t use “ghetto blasters” anymore, how long before we come for his precious “u” in some words?

Often seen in… Why, if we give in on these Confederate statues, how long before they want to tear down the Washington Monument?

1 Like

If someone stops and reflects in the Forrest and there was no one there to see it, did it even happen?

cuserounder poll special: Which of these is more racist?

• Elvis saying “The only thing a n***** can do for me is shine my shoes”
  • Elvis singing “In the Ghetto”

0 voters

There is no context in which “ghetto blaster” is not a racist term. And why the fuck should I have to take the stairs with my curry? If the smell bothers someone, THEY can take the stairs.

5 Likes

Yes there is, and it happens in other countries (yes, they do really exist) where there are no connotations of racism with that phrase.

Also, you don’t have to take the stairs in that situation, but it would be considerate if people did.

“Why should we do xyz which is no trouble to us, so as not to bother each other” is quite the deplorable, isn’t it?

Like, I’ve called it a ghetto blaster randomly in the last several years but come on.

1 Like

No. America is not the whole world. Areas called ghettos don’t even exist in the UK ffs. Come on.

are you trying to say that ghetto doesn’t imply things like crime, gang violence, poverty in the UK?

2 Likes

OH, Where did this term come from then?

1 Like

Well I’m guessing the UK didn’t independently and coincidentally coin it at the same time as we did.

You’re literally using “black people say it too” as your main argument in the same post as bringing up the n-word to contrast it with.

Ghetto isn’t a word we’ve ever used on its own.

just lol

2 Likes

So in your question you admit both are racist but want to know which one is more racist?

1 Like

Here’s where you just get it crucially wrong. There are no places where it has no racist connotations.There are only places where people are ignorant of the racist connotations of things. Their ignorance doesn’t magically remove a word from it’s cultural context to other listeners.

2 Likes

I am laughing at the idea of some future historian reading this and trying to translate the curry stairs discussion into some kind of race related issue.

5 Likes

Oh I can do polls, too. How many people are going to have to tell jalfrezi he’s wrong about this being racist before he admits it?

• He’s dying on this hill

0 voters

So your argument is that “ghetto blaster” has a different, non-racist connotation in the UK than in the US, which is to suggest that “ghetto” means something different in the UK. You now admit that there are not even ghettos in the UK.

Nice own goal there, bud. A real howler!

He is obviously not racist. The term is racist though.

2 Likes