Grab Bag Walrus - Reveal Thread

I applied the “well known songs” to be with respect to the gen-pop. To me most people don’t know Beach House or Slayer.

Im joking. Slayer being last for ‘well knowness’ is somewhat harsh, but commendable.

I’m still standing! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

2 Likes

So much for Pauwling it up. Now my strategy is :

1 Like

In 11th place scoring 3 points: The Hu with Wolf Totem

Submitter’s comment: Should hype you up, especially if you want to go to conquer most of Asia.

First impression: n/a

This has caused me headaches from day 1. I have spent more time thinking where to put this than all other songs combined and here’s why: Suzzer has posted this in my previous reveal thread as an alternate submission to which I replied:

While I am typing this I still have no idea what to do. About half of the current contestants also took part in my previous Walrus. That was six months ago though and probably long forgotten and there wasn’t any intention to angleshoot. I don’t like judging this one for meta reasons anymore than I did for places 12 and 13. Walrus is serious business though and I am trying to be somewhat consistent here.

On the one hand the throat singing accompanied by electric guitars is something I never knew I needed in my life. Just like the previous two songs I believe it’s a great category fit. I have read comments calling this a Mongolian haka and I think that’s an apt comparison.

Well, on the other hand I have listened to it a lot during the last 6 months so I skipped it practically every time it came up in the current play list which let’s me more confidently put this down here despite generally liking the song. The song already has 32 million views on youtube which puts it in well-known territory. If this was last year this could have been a first place submission. Right now it’s not. The fact that I looked for the skip button when it came up sealed its fate.

Submitted by: Suzzer99?

1 Like

That was the unpleasant part and I am glad I am done with it.

1 Like

I honestly don’t remember my submission. But I usually know it when I see it. So I’m guessing I’m still alive.

In 10th place scoring 4 points: The Fall with Totally Wired

Submitter’s comment: This isn’t an ironic submission because of the lyrics, you can’t listen to that bass line without getting animated.

First impression: meh, voice, repetitive

The instrumentals are really good and I agree with the submitter about the bass line. Unfortunately the vocals that are more spoken than sung knocks this down a few pegs. My heart and I agree that I do not like the singer’s voice very much either. The repetitiveness doesn’t help. All in all not bad but has to admit defeat to a bunch of strong competitors.

Submitted by: Pyatnitski?

Nope. That’s mine.

Wasn’t sure about this category, but was hoping for better than that. Wasn’t aware you had been exposed to in this forum previously.

I have a feeling mine is next. sigh

I am guessing someone else but I have been wrong every time so far.

In 9th place scoring 5 points: Lacuna Coil with Ghost in the Mist

Submitter’s comment: n/a

First impression: unoriginal: growl/smooth singing: others do it better!?, not that hyping

I have followed Lacuna Coil’s career since the early 2000s when they had a couple of good songs (“Heaven’s A Lie” and “Swamped”). At the time adding a soprano to a metal band was still a somewhat novel idea and I very much enjoy listening to Cristina Scabbia’s voice.

Everytime they release a new album I give it a few listens, feel disappointed and then forget about them for the next couple of years. They just haven’t come up with anything memorable since 2002’s Comalies. This is no exception.

In addition they moved away from gothic metal towards nu metal/metalcore which is a crowded field with a limited number of ideas. I wish they would have stuck to gothic/symphonic metal which is a much better fit for Mrs. Scabbia’s talents I believe.

Her smooth singing parts here are the creamy center of the song that I really enjoyed. I would have liked more of that. The growls are the crust and didn’t do anything for me. Additionally, alternating between growling and smooth parts isn’t exaclty original. Every second metalcore band does this and after working my way through a couple of best of 2019 metal albums lists that were heavily biased towards that genre I can’t get too excited about it anymore.

The overall product is an okay/good song that lacks a bit in the hype department.

Submitted by: Nicholasp27??

2 Likes

nope, not mine. whew. your youtube link is wrong though

Thanks. I copy/pasted the wrong line. If that had been your submission I would have given up guessing.

I have now looked up all the submissions for this round, so let me know if you want me to tell you who each was along the way LouisCyphre.

It’s okay. I’ll keep guessing and wait for folks/people/y’all to claim their songs.

1 Like

In 8th place scoring 6 points: The Clash with Complete Control

Submitter’s comment: n/a

First impression: n/a

This is one of the songs where I didn’t write down any first impressions because there is nothing wrong with it. On the flipside there is nothing that really stands out. Solid fare all around. Maybe there will be complaints that legends like The Clash end up down here but these aren’t the minors. This is Major League Walrus. Being better than most only gets you so far.

Submitted by: SwankyWilder??

2 Likes

Unless I had a brainfart and submitted Breathe - I think I’m still in this thing.

This was not my submission, but as a lover of punk in general, I do feel a bit of hurt that The Clash is so low, especially this song, which definitely gets me hyped. So whoever this belongs to, allow me to share your righteous indignation.

2 Likes