GOP insanity containment thread 3: more human than strom thurman

Was it in this thread that I heard that Maher refused to not smoke weed during his interview of Stevo when Stevo (who is in recovery) asked him to?

https://x.com/tplohetski/status/1791186036116111386

This was a guy who posted a bunch of racist stuff, said he was going to go to a BLM protest to shoot people, then went to a BLM protest, drove his car into a protest and then shot a guy who was (legally) open carrying.

He then claimed self defense and that his racist stuff was just army barracks humor.

Vigilantism is slowly being normalized

https://x.com/cd_hooks/status/1791194458467225948

I mean the answer is the law is outcome based, so it protects the one those in power want to protect.

2 Likes

Exactly this. And it applies to basically all laws, not just this one.

1 Like

There are so many areas of law where you are responsible for the reasonably foreseeable negative consequences of your actions.

Yet somehow there needs to be a special carve out for taking guns to protests…

2 Likes

Was mentioned on UP, not sure where

https://twitter.com/OpinionToday/status/1791213786113696184?t=OwhETMGd3fA9IcbwbIXegg&s=19

That number is not high enough

4 Likes

Is this one where the feds can step in?

(As a concept, I think that this two sovereigns deal is really double jeopardy for the same crime). But themes the rules so I’d be ok with this shitbag getting got by the feds.

The law does not recognize a carve out in this circumstance. He was convicted. Getting pardoned is a political decision.

So. IANAL but my under is that stand your ground does.

I.e
It doesn’t matter how you acted to get into a situation, or whether you should have foreseen harm, the defining factor is purely based on the scenario at the time.

Chris Hooks writes about the case

That’s doubtful, for the reason Attorney General Ken Paxton laid out in his statement about the case. Paxton ranks as the top law enforcement official in Texas. Most AGs would be a little circumspect about commenting on a high-profile criminal case like this. But not our Ken. Abbott’s pardon was important to deliver, Paxton said, as a kind of psychological balm. Texans had been “praying for justice after BLM riots terrorized the nation in 2020.” You could say that was a non sequitur. What do the protests have to do with Perry’s claim to self-defense? But the two are not unrelated; the link between them goes to the heart of the matter.

The protests in 2020 didn’t terrorize “the nation,” but they did terrify a significant portion of it. And some of those folks wanted to see blood spilled. Rittenhouse and Perry satisfied a carnal need. What terrified many was not just the sight of Black protesters on the streets, and occasional scenes of buildings in flames, but also the possibility that the country was actually engaged in the reckoning over racial justice that protesters on the left—and all Americans horrified by irruptions of police violence—thought was possible. Some portion of the right cried out for the utopians to be disciplined. Perry provided a measure of that discipline.

Abbott rewarded him for it, just as he rewarded Austin police officer Justin Berry. When Berry was indicted in 2022 on charges he had used excessive force on protestors at a BLM rally in 2020, Abbott responded by endorsing his bid for the state House and then, when he lost, appointing him to the state commission that sets standards for law enforcement. (The charges against Berry were later dropped by Garza, who requested the Department of Justice investigate the police department’s practices at large.)

You see this desire for punishment again and again across the decades. When the idealist students at Kent State, peacefully protesting the Vietnam War, were disciplined by a unit of the Ohio National Guard, which killed four and wounded nine protestors in 1970, many Americans cheered it. The Houston Post wrote in an editorial that the shooting of students was in large part the result of “permissiveness in child-rearing,” which had led the young to think they could challenge the old order. “At the very least,” the paper wrote, “it would appear that they have not yet learned the necessity of submitting to discipline.”

Texas is not a military dictatorship, and Abbott did not send Perry to attack Black Lives Matter protesters. We are not yet in the Years of Lead. But the unjustified pardon of Perry is a form of state crime, and it’s ugly. What’s next? The news of the pardon came soon after Abbott deployed state police, heavily armed, to crack down on another peaceful protest movement that is unpopular among his supporters: the rallies at the University of Texas in Austin against Israel’s conduct during its war against Hamas in Gaza. What strange forces are waiting in the wings who have taken the wrong lesson from what Abbott did this week? What will Abbott do—or fail to do—when they act?

3 Likes

This is a good way of framing it. It’s like a loophole that allows the state to engage in violence without explicitly ordering the violence. Similar to the abortion bounty law in that sense.

3 Likes

“The purpose is not solely religious,” Sen. Jay Morris, R-West Monroe, told the Senate. Rather, it is the Ten Commandments’ "historical significance, which is simply one of many documents that display the history of our country and foundation of our legal system.”

Horton has previously defended her bill, saying during a House debate last month that the Ten Commandments are the “basis of all laws in Louisiana” and arguing that the legislation honors the country’s religious origins.

“I’m not concerned with an atheist. I’m not concerned with a Muslim,” she said when asked about teachers who might not subscribe to the Ten Commandments. “I’m concerned with our children looking and seeing what God’s law is.”

If this doesn’t get struck down in some federal district court somewhere, we really have turned away from American principles.

Id really love to see LSU’s enrollment numbers just drop off a cliff

1 Like

It’s time to accept that the crazies won.

The idea that US law is somehow based on the 10 commandments is some legit wild stuff. That’s basically like saying medicine is based on Jesus cause he cured some shit. Hell, there were legal systems 1000 years before the Bible.

Almost. There’s a sense of calm that’s came over me these last few weeks. I’ve resided myself to the fact that if Trump wins the next election, I just give up and accept that it’s game over and they won. Until then I’m gonna volunteer and do everything I can to prevent that from happening

5 Likes

I hope the satanic temple is all over this already.

Incoming baphomet statues in all Louisiana classrooms.

2 Likes