GOP Insanity Containment 2: This is the Place. This is the Time, Cowboy.

very high potential for abuse, which i assume is the reason for anti-trafficking laws.

also you never know how the local populations are going to react. you might be separating migrants from communities where they currently are, and antagonizing communities where they end up. it’s great martha’s vineyard responded like they did, but i am not under the illusion that would happen everywhere

Well, ok, but raising a big stink about how DeSantis may be human trafficking is still focused on the wrong thing. This should be about the immigrants and making sure they get treated with dignity and kindness and that they get whatever aid they need to be integrated into our society. Focusing on how it may be technically illegal to fly these people to another state implicitly concedes one of of the ugly premises that the Republican argument is based on, that people in other/liberal states don’t want immigrants either.

I grew up in Wisconsin. I met my wife the summer after college and a week later, she flew out (from NY) to visit me in WI while I was waiting for my job to start.

I told my college friends about this girl I met and one of them said something to the effect of, “You know she’s seriously interested in you because she is coming out to visit you in Wisconsin, a place where there is no opportunity for external fun whatsoever. You are the draw.”

3 Likes

Democrats running stories about how their community stepped up to deal with a bus full of immigrants is just going to incentivize Texas/Arizona to keep flooding you with more. They are not going to spread it out because the goal is to create a chaos.

1 Like

Excepting the bizarre stone countertop I really like it and would totally live in that house if it was somewhere other then Martha’s Vinyard.

Right I’m not advocating for displacing migrants or kidnapping them and involuntarily moving them. A program that helped them get to their families/friends and/or a safe location would be a good immigration program for the Dems.

1 Like

DeSantis clearly cranked one out coming up with this idea

6 Likes

OK?

Its good for the blue states, we can always use more people/tight labor market.

Its good for the average normie news-browser (“centrist”) as I would expect them to realize on some level just how fucking insane and cruel the gop is being here.

And lastly its good for the immigrants. The alternative is penned up in fucking Texas being treated like animals. They are here, send them somewhere where people don’t hate them.

4 Likes

Biden needs to step in and reallocate federal funding from red states to blue states to pay for migrants. If Trump could find millions for the wall, Biden should find millions for migrants.

I know court will stop him, but this is definitely the time for the fuck you response from Biden.

3 Likes

Woke librul churches trying to engage in cancel culture. Just you wait, DeSantis will make them start paying taxes or something.

1 Like

My guess is that eventually you are going to get overwhelmed and then it is going to look like you lost in terms of politics. It would be better would be for Biden to step up and kick their asses and create some kind of plan to spread the migrants out to every state.

Ugh. Can we not focus on the bolded? It’s really not a good look imo.

Other two points are fine.

1 Like

Apparently, they are not allowed to work for months until their asylum cases are processed (if you scroll up).

I know you replied to my similar comment the same way, but we’re not talking about putting immigrants into indentured servitude. We have a labor shortage. There’s a ton of good paying jobs in my area that are going unfilled because there aren’t enough people to fill them. We have like 3.5% unemployment. The country needs people.

1 Like

Yes, the labor crisis is one area where Biden could have easily solved shit by expediting immigration. He could probably sign something to let these people start working now.

Probably getting outside the scope of this thread, but I pretty strongly disagree.

In fact, you and I had a similar discussion less than a year ago in the Great Resignation thread. Do you feel differently now?

Yeah, if you pay people more you will get more willing workers but then you have to raise prices to make up for it (or cut corporate profits JK).

It probably got at least a few of them much closer to their intended destinations.

Yes, I do.

At least in my town. We have more jobs than people looking for work. And not to sound right wingy, but at some point it’s untenable to raise wages. Even the places in my town that are considered the best places to work are having trouble filling positions.

I mean, I work for the state and working conditions are top notch and we can’t fill our open positions.

the college grad vs no-degree required job markets are totally different beasts. we tend to make the mistake of talking about labor market that we are in, whereas the relevant one is where the migrants will have a shot at. and even that may be shortsighted, migrants and asylum seekers need months to get back to their most productive.

3 Likes