GOP Insanity Containment 2: This is the Place. This is the Time, Cowboy.

My guess is that eventually you are going to get overwhelmed and then it is going to look like you lost in terms of politics. It would be better would be for Biden to step up and kick their asses and create some kind of plan to spread the migrants out to every state.

Ugh. Can we not focus on the bolded? It’s really not a good look imo.

Other two points are fine.

1 Like

Apparently, they are not allowed to work for months until their asylum cases are processed (if you scroll up).

I know you replied to my similar comment the same way, but we’re not talking about putting immigrants into indentured servitude. We have a labor shortage. There’s a ton of good paying jobs in my area that are going unfilled because there aren’t enough people to fill them. We have like 3.5% unemployment. The country needs people.

1 Like

Yes, the labor crisis is one area where Biden could have easily solved shit by expediting immigration. He could probably sign something to let these people start working now.

Probably getting outside the scope of this thread, but I pretty strongly disagree.

In fact, you and I had a similar discussion less than a year ago in the Great Resignation thread. Do you feel differently now?

Yeah, if you pay people more you will get more willing workers but then you have to raise prices to make up for it (or cut corporate profits JK).

It probably got at least a few of them much closer to their intended destinations.

Yes, I do.

At least in my town. We have more jobs than people looking for work. And not to sound right wingy, but at some point it’s untenable to raise wages. Even the places in my town that are considered the best places to work are having trouble filling positions.

I mean, I work for the state and working conditions are top notch and we can’t fill our open positions.

the college grad vs no-degree required job markets are totally different beasts. we tend to make the mistake of talking about labor market that we are in, whereas the relevant one is where the migrants will have a shot at. and even that may be shortsighted, migrants and asylum seekers need months to get back to their most productive.

3 Likes

I would assume that a lot of vrbos that are underutilIzed on the coming months in a place like MV. Maybe the state can step up and rent some places?

I can’t imagine there would be service jobs to start and any skilled trade persons could be in demand?

It’s such a one off to the much larger problem.

I’m ok with a little inflation if it comes from bottom of the market wage pressure. But me thinks most of the profit in food production ain’t due to the migrant workers or small family farms.

The full time residents of the island actually have some of the lowest incomes in the state and I kinda doubt they would be happy to see competition for the few off-season jobs available.

I’m other words, it’s a rich community.

Kinda surprised that Trump didn’t want to invade Central America last go.

Or just a community.

https://mobile.twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/1570782161682464769

1 Like

Nobody on earth needs an ass beating more than Ted Cruz.

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1570825705193340930?s=46&t=GbxPBkZhwzg6rMAgOIrKsg

1 Like

Cruz said they should go to Nantucket
No matter if they plane, bus, or truck it,
With any good luck,
That pervy old fuck
Would just up and kick the bucket

19 Likes

It’s pretty sad, all the lacky, wannabe Republican politicians I know are high-fiving over this like it’s throwing these places in turmoil, but I went and read a couple local news reports and they are just handling it fine.