English Premier League & Other Club Football Thread

Oh, the dude who thinks Stan Kroenke is developing a long term plan for all 5 of his clubs when the writer he told me to listen to literally wrote a long, scathing article yesterday how it would allow him to be even more hands off

Jal, my weekly footie pod intake is currently: arseblog, double pivot, ornstein & Chapman, zonal marking, ringer fc and statsbomb (but that hasn’t been as.much since they now work with almost every pl team). What other pods should I listen to gain the intense knowledge you have on sport, so much that you think baseball is action packed?

Shouldn’t a non plastic fan be able to afford a patreon subscription? Or know who Tim Lewis is by name? We know you don’t have a season ticket.

1 Like

Are all these American owners’ AMERICAN based teams extremely profitable? Maybe comparing their running of them to European football teams isn’t super apt if so. The way European wages are blowing out, it really shouldn’t be considered a profitable venture vs owning some team called the Avalanche (cool name lol). I’d consider them treating their clubs as the same as some NFL team as being behind their ESL interest. Unsure what this says about the other clubs, especially the Spanish ones which are Spanish owned. I guess their owners are just pieces of shit independently (as well as being about as fiscally competent as a five year old) .

Every NFL team is profitable. Nhl and nba teams are less so, but most nba teams make money and hockey is about half I believe.

This is mostly because of wages being less in American sports vs European soccer. Every NFL team gets revenue of an EPL+CL plus even a little richer tv deal and has a salary cap to keep wages to that of about Tottenham.

Kroenkes Rams will soon probably be making ~$500 million a year, but that is partly because of a new stadium that cost $4 billion.

Kroenke long term plan as with all his franchises is to make them as profitable as possible. He doesn’t care if any of them ever win anything, ever come close even as long as the profit stream is continuous. Having to win is an annoyance as that takes risk and he is absolutely on board with being in a league where that issue has been taken care off. I doubt that philosophy is mirrored elsewhere at Arsenal.

I believe the same goes for the current ownership of Man U & Liverpool.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t agree with that necessarily. Kroenke is hands off. His clubs have done very poorly (Rams, Avalanche) when they had poor coaches/GMs 5+ years ago. Now both are top 5 teams in their respective leagues and spend as much money as they are allowed to do so. The Avs are the best team in the NFL and the Rams are a top 5 team who just traded for a QB in an attempt to win now.

5 years ago all of his teams were bad and that narrative took hold. This year all of his NA teams were top 5 in odds to win championships, but over the pond the narrative hasn’t changed due to laziness. The Rams were a completely different team with Mcvay vs Fisher. Like, Fergie vs Moyes different.

You put less money into the club and the supporters than I do and you’re thousands of miles closer. If you need a loan, the interest rates can’t be any lower.

If only you could support this forum the same way you do Arsenal: by staying as far away as you can.

Speaking of foreign fans, can I just say thank God LFC_USA isn’t on UP

3 Likes

Club loyalty can be shown in many ways…
https://twitter.com/Full_KitWanker/status/857917833942007808

1 Like

How are the cleats the worst part?

2 Likes

Wait I should know Atleast 1 as our failures went their last year.

Miami buckineers?

Calm the… Down bro lol.

It may not be all on the Americans but they are the main $ source along with that Juve dude and Spanish dude who have pushed it for years, then came in the American owners and if you asked me, I’d say ti’s was their plan after buying the clubs while getting support for it among the other top English clubs.

The Liverpool dude made a documentary not long ago saying he loves the club and fans and it’s not about money from him, then this BS. lol face masks off alright.

And your out of order here wrt Jalfrazi with the snide cheap remarks.

lmao 24 seconds

To all Manchester United supporters,
Over the past few days, we have all witnessed the great passion which football generates, and the deep loyalty our fans have for this great club.

You made very clear your opposition to the European Super League, and we have listened. We got it wrong, and we want to show that we can put things right.

Although the wounds are raw and I understand that it will take time for the scars to heal, I am personally committed to rebuilding trust with our fans and learning from the message you delivered with such conviction.

We continue to believe that European football needs to become more sustainable throughout the pyramid for the long-term. However, we fully accept that the Super League was not the right way to go about it.

In seeking to create a more stable foundation for the game, we failed to show enough respect for its deep-rooted traditions –promotion, relegation, the pyramid – and for that we are sorry.

This is the world’s greatest football club and we apologise unreservedly for the unrest caused during these past few days.

It is important for us to put that right.

Manchester United has a rich heritage and we recognise our responsibility to live up to its great traditions and values.

The pandemic has thrown up so many unique challenges and we are proud of the way Manchester United and its fans from Manchester and around the world have reacted to the enormous pressures during this period.

We also realise that we need to better communicate with you, our fans, because you will always be at the heart of the club.

In the background, you can be sure that we will be taking the necessary steps to rebuild relationships with other stakeholders across the game, with a view to working together on solutions to the long-term challenges facing the football pyramid.

Right now, our priority is to continue to support all of our teams as they push for the strongest possible finish to the season.

In closing, I would like to recognise that it is your support which makes this club so great, and we thank you for that.

With best regards,

Joel Glazer

1 Like

#still pish

To all Manchester United supporters,

With best regards,

Joel Glazer

Another day, another dike goal

https://twitter.com/vitalhtafc/status/1384963367962615815?s=21

in the 93rd minute.

2 Likes

I’m neither wealthy nor poor but a poster attempting to poverty-shame someone is quite the “leftist” forum mascot. Shame on you and your total lack of class.

I’m not only closer geographically, I’m a lot closer emotionally than someone who probably doesn’t even remember players/managers before Wenger, let alone the slump of the late 70s and 80s or the first double before even then.

But I’m always pleased that some are only too happy to pour money into Kroenke’s pocket so he can take out 30M for “consultancy”, while also reducing the financial burden on supporters with actual ties to the club - my TV subscriptions are more than enough as they are. Keep buying the shirts lol.

On perma-ignore now.

I did not poverty shame you. Your wealth did not cross my mind. It did not cross anyone but Yuv’s which is why you did not even make a reply to that in the many you had before you had a timeout. Keep stoking that “I’m a real fan you’re not” fire though, it’s a great look!

For someone who is so, so condescending it is so, so pathetic how you have to be a victim on this forum at all times.

1 Like

Lier