Expenditures

I’m probably going to pull the trigger on the anticipated server upgrade soon, definitely before Super Tuesday and a good month earlier than I was expecting. This is our server load for the Nevada debate:

Anything over 2 (currently) means the system is at full capacity, and this graph is actually pretty fine since hitting the peak once in awhile really isn’t a big deal so long as you don’t stay there. But this is also the hardest we’ve ever hit the server over a sustained period and performance issues were noticed.

Since there was an upgrade planned soon-ish anyway for other reasons, and since I doubt traffic is going to decrease as primary season heats up, I figure we might as well do it now.

We were pushing out about 40 page views a minute during peak debate.

2 Likes

Are there funds to cover the upgrade?

Yes. Even with an upgraded package donations > expenses.

Thanks, @zikzak. This just takes the monthly costs from $20 to $40, right?

Correct, starting tomorrow. I’m not sure exactly how they prorate, but assuming daily we’ll be looking at ~$85 for 1st quarter 2020.

1 Like

In case anybody was curious how we did during tonight’s debate after the upgrade vs. the last one. Full capacity is now 4.

3 Likes

How about we at least get Zikzak and gregorio t-shirts?!?!!?!?

Hoping to get the T-shirt project moving and need to meet the minimum order and zz and gg need some shirts! win-win.

Thanks, but I’ll pass. My wardrobe is limited to solid colors, no graphics, no logos.

1 Like

More like zuckzak.

1 Like

@spidercrab

Requesting reimbursement for Q1 2020 hosting.

Month Amount
January $20.00
February $25.30
March $40.00

Q1 Total: $85.30

Sure, how about the cost of reserving unstucksports?

No, that’s just a speculative lark by me. However, the unstuckpolitics.com domain is up for renewal at the end of this month so we should probably coordinate with @simplicitus about that.

Money sent. I’ll PM simp.

Thank you, received! However,

giphy

1 Like

Because I quoted?

Team quote 4 lyfe, and consider me triggered.

1 Like

@zikzak @spidercrab

It was on auto-renew. I re-upped for another 2 years, and it’s set to auto-renew then. No need to reimburse.

3 Likes

I expect we’ll probably need to temporarily upgrade hosting to deal with election traffic, for however long election traffic lasts (dear god it’s going to be months). The only option is going to be doubling the CPU’s and doubling memory, which doubles the price to $80/month. Thankfully we can roll that back as soon as traffic dies down due to Erik Prince’s secret police throwing us all in gulags a decisive Biden win quickly retruning the whole world to normalcy.

Rather than pull the trigger too soon on that and incurring unnecessary costs, I think we should wait until we obviously need to do it. So I’m proposing we should let the first debate happen with our current setup and see how it goes. That may mean slightly wonky forum behavior this coming Tuesday if we hit the server too hard. I’m really not sure how hard is too hard with our current setup, or how active the forum will be for the debates.

Not really related, but we will need to upgrade disk space at some point, maybe January-ish? We’re currently using 69% of 160 GB, and that grows by about 1% per week. We need some headroom there for maintenance stuff, so that should probably happen somewhere around 85% usage. We can add 100 GB blocks for $10/month.

@spidercrab because I know he likes to be @'ed for this stuff.

2 Likes

I don’t mind waiting and seeing how the first debate goes, but I strongly believe that some of the biggest value of this site comes from live events. So if the site gets stressed with the first debate, I think we should upgrade immediately with the expectation to dial it back in December or January. Or maybe February, depending on what we think Inauguration day is going to look like.

I think people have had reasonable questions about what we’re building up a balance of funds for, and increasing spending on hosting and disk space seems like a reasonable thing to do.

8 Likes

I haven’t followed the finance side of our experiment at all, but if/when we need money please PM me, I’m happy to cover the expense.

1 Like

You aren’t following the Donations thread? I just posted a trip report of using the Skyline Chili gift card that @NhlNut sent as a donation.

1 Like