COVID-19: Chapter 9 - OMGicron

It’s not just that it’s fun, it’s the only thing we can do. Asking nicely doesn’t work, watching people die doesn’t work, the government sure as fuck isn’t going to do anything, all I have is laughing at dead covidiots.

Yeah, It think it’s probably not helping our cause that we are lumping all people “against” the vaccine into he same group here. In my experience you have good faith “anti-vaxxers” and bad faith “anti-vaxxers.” The good faith anti-vaxxers are the vaccine hesitant, who are probably gettable over time, but not with brute force. They have a sincerely held belief about the dangers of hte vaccine based upon misinformation, or misunderstanding, or just plain superstition/fear.

The bad faith anti-vaxxers are the Sean Hannity/Tucker Carlson types. They’re anti-vaccine for the power of it. They don’t really believe the bullshit they are saying, but they are using anti-vax propaganda to achieve a purpose. That purpose might be as grand as amassing political power, or as petty as “owning” some people on a message board they don’t like, but they don’t really believe the bullshit they are saying, and they are intentionally misrepresenting data about the vaccines to either sell that the vaccines are dangerous, or that the vaccines don’t work, or both.

1 Like

I had a good employee like this who finally, finally, after months of conversations with got the shot (at the risk of losing her job). She was legitimately worried about fertility issues because of social media. I am confident that she represents like 90 percent of the anti-vax population.

The problem is the vaccines are great, and circle jerk or boring as that may be, taking a contrary position to this for the lolz is objectively bad.

Just to be clear, Topol is not telling people to not get the vaccine in that tweet. idk why he’s suddenly more of an authority than the NIH, but let’s at least be clear what he’s saying.

Why not? What exactly are you insinuating here? Why am I feeding the trolls?

I agree 100 percent. It is the people who know better and spread disinformation on purpose who deserve our scorn.

1 Like

If not for omicron I actually think I would agree with you on waiting to get the booster. Not eschewing the booster entirely, but waiting. However, Omicron changes that calculus and you should get boosted as soon as possible, and it’s not even close.

Do you think that anything I’ve posted in this thread is telling anyone to not get the vaccine? How receptive do you think that Topol would be to my thought process on how my breakthrough infection should impact the timing of any booster shot I get?

Chart was pre boosters im pretty sure. I honestly don’t remember if it was pre all vax and I can’t find the source right now (looked for it when I was posting orginally and couldnt find it). Obviously pre-omnicron too, for sure.

It isn’t a risk I’d be running to take right now, but it isn’t something that’s important to me and I’m certainly not isolated enough at this point to throw stones. I doubt it is worse for community spread than me sending my kids to
school and I’m doing that. If he tests and N95 I think he’s low risk to the community, probably low risk to himself but that’s his call. Maybe not cautious enough with Omicrom coming, idk, but that’s where my head is at.

1 Like

Yeah, I was actually so crystal clear on what Topol was saying in that thread that I dug it up that 3 month old thread from memory in less than a minute when Surf was talking about whether anyone considered prior infection + one dose to be as good as 2 doses because it was directly relevant to the conversation. But thanks for clarifying!

2 Likes

Sorry, grunching but wondering about booster timing as I want to get boosted prior to holidays.

I received first Pfizer June 6 and second on June 27. CDC says eligible if “received their Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna initial vaccine series at least six months ago”. Does this refer to the first dose, second dose or 2weeks post 2nd dose?

Thanks!

9 Likes

Your proposed course of action assumes that your infection will function close enough to a booster shot that you don’t need the booster.

In general, I think the feeling of this board is that you should make your decision using the assumption that any risk associated with the booster is so small that you can treat it as effectively zero in your calculations.

1 Like

Technically it’s the second dose but I would just got to a pharmacy and get the shot.

Yes.

If you try to sign up on a website that requires you to input the date of your last dose, they will probably tell you when you are eligible.

OK? I agree that the risk of the booster is small. My point is that in my specific case the benefit of the booster is also probably quite small.

My doctor friend said they recommend boosters for those that recovered from COVID 2-4 weeks after the negative test. Probably not changing your mind because LOLANECDOTAL but figured I would throw it out there.

1 Like

Thanks for the idea. Walgreens doesn’t allow me to schedule booster appointment until Dec 28, or 6 months after 2nd dose. C’est la vie.

All I can say is good luck doing anything when full vaccination goes to three shots and you try 2+prior infection.

Get what you are trying to say Keed, really do but it’s a very odd hill to die on.

14 Likes

Should you assume that the benefit of the booster is not diminished by having a recent breakthrough case until proven otherwise by studies or should you assume that the benefit of the booster is diminished by having a recent breakthrough case until studies prove otherwise? If you think the latter, then why? Because it makes intuitive sense to you?

1 Like