COVID-19: Chapter 5 - BACK TO SCHOOL

12 Likes

Bargaining phase of grief imo

What is going on with this guy’s punctuation marks.

1 Like

Mississippi

https://twitter.com/MaddowBlog/status/1281033267127496704?s=19

2 Likes

So I was reading the covid causing brain damage thing (which I did know of course) [that reuters article about a day ago that I’m sure got linked in here]

“Whether we will see an epidemic on a large scale of brain damage linked to the pandemic – perhaps similar to the encephalitis lethargica outbreak in the 1920s and 1930s after the 1918 influenza pandemic – remains to be seen,” said Michael Zandi, from UCL’s Institute of Neurology, who co-led the study.

I got another thing on this shit to read?!??! (me every time something new on this shit to read comes out) That one I didn’t remember.

That reminded me to re look up for lack of a better google term to find it, hong kong flu in 68

shit

The death rate from the Hong Kong flu was lower than for other 20th century pandemics.[8] The disease was allowed to spread through the population without restrictions on economic activity, until a vaccine became available four months after it started.

The H3N2 virus returned during the following 1969/1970 flu season, resulting in a second, deadlier wave of deaths. (so much for that vaccine, shit)

It remains in circulation today as a strain of seasonal flu

(this was my best guess, no vaccine, doesn’t go away because lol us, still hoping for the not it got worse part of things)

they didn’t shut down shit for that of course

I won’t post about it here anymore except to say that this is what we always do, the new thread almost always gets less traffic, and we essentially let most people avoid thinking about the problem.

It’s the Internet forum version of moving protesters out of a street they’re blocking so that nobody has to be inconvenienced. We’re like 99% men, a large percentage don’t care about it, and we’re never going to fix this problem if we just excise the posts to a containment thread that 75% of the forum then ignores.

I’ll leave it out of this thread for now, but I think we should all think about that.

None of that is a shot at goofy, who’s just doing the normal thing a mod is supposed to do, nor am I trying to equate sexist posts here with cops killing black people.

Hopefully this post stays put.

6 Likes

I wonder what the partisan breakdown of this will be and if on repub gets really sick, will he come to his senses or continue towing the party line?

What does a successful vaccine look like. My guess is that some people who get the vaccine will contract covid and die. But a lot more will have a.much milder case that causes minimal disruption to every day life.

I don’t think for a minute that a vaccine will eridacte covid. I could be wrong though. I am just basing it off other respiratory virus that are just a part of the human experience.

The real fun with the herd immunity concept will be when some who was a confirmed positive has a mild case the first time around the 9 months later contracts it again and dies. This will likely happen. I don’t think it will be common but maybe enough cases to make some evening news headlines.

I believe none of the leading candidates use live attenuated virus. I’m not even sure if there are any in the top tier that are dead/inactivated virus.

The chance of contracting the actual virus like the old days with the polio vaccine incident should be nil.

2 Likes

From some point in January to around the end of April I read every COVID post on this forum.

During May, I only read about 30% of COVID posts and it was incredible for my psyche. During that time I read fiction instead.

Since June I’m back up to reading 100% COVID posts it is truly a horrible experience. The only reason I’m back in full force is because I, like many of you, will soon be placed into a situation of being ‘forced’ to re-enter the working world (or, decide whether I have enough appetite and leverage to resist). Since decision makers seem universally clueless on COVID, it feels necessary to know every single daily painstaking detail and development.

How great it would be to unplug again. Considering all possible outcomes of where the US goes from here, I am having a hard time even conceptualizing a favorable runner-runner to pull for.

Hey, it is a small solace sharing such a miserable experience with this community at least.

14 Likes

No one thinks that was covid. Try actually reading the thread.

This seems like a bit of revisionist history and I believe you got an antibody test because you thought it might have been (or that you may have already had it) right? Or am I thinking of a different poster? It has been months now.

I’m not trying to be a dick but this same derail has come up on numerous occasions and to those of us reading it for the tenth time it sure seems like people have wondered if it was Covid. Hell I had the same thing back in December and wondered myself at first even if I’m not sure I posted about it or not.

3 Likes

I took a very similar path with both the covid threads and the DJT threads. Just skimmed May and early June and it was a much needed mental break.

But now I’m back to reading every post. It’s just unfathomable what we are experiencing right now and this forum at times feels like the only place I can turn to for mostly sane, logical, and thoughtful discussion.

5 Likes

COVID19 is different from other viruses in a lot of ways. It has a proofreading system that keeps it from mutating as fast as most viruses. There was a lot of promising progress toward closely-related SARS and MERS vaccines before those viruses went away on their own. Of course, it could throw us another curveball and it might be here to stay, no one knows.

As I’ve been poking around the internet, it turns out we have an effective MERS vaccine now as of April 2020. So that’s good news if you were worried about MERS in 2020.

https://www.wrair.army.mil/node/231

I’ve read every post in every Covid thread. I have habitually checked the Covid data to the point I know the order the state data appears on Worldometers typically. It isn’t remotely healthy.

That being said this is likely to be one of the most transformative events of our lives. It has also disrupted my life to an extreme extent and left a hole that I haven’t yet figured out how to fill. My wife and I normally are spending a significant amount planning out and going on our various travels. Last year we went to Colombia, Spain, Croatia, Portugal, UK not to mention travels in North America. This year nothing and no ability to plan anything out either. Instead it has been replaced by coronavirus obsession which is a pretty awful trade.

I agree with you that what is happening is unfathomable. The complete incompetence on display in the US at virtually every level is stunning.

14 Likes

Also, I thought this infographic thingy from Nature was pretty informative:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01221-y

4 Likes

I tried but there was a 200 post derail today like there is everyday in these fucking threads.

No chance we stay under 250k by Election Day.

More likely to hit 400k than sub-250k

Yeah I’m with you, staying on top of all of this is exhausting and depressing. But it feels necessary to make informed decisions, given that our leaders cannot be trusted on it, and given that a lot of the information we’re getting here is coming in at least a couple weeks ahead of the national media and being put into better context.

2 Likes

Assume 1% and you’ll be very close

So 60k cases today is actually 300k if we are 5x and so that’s 3k deaths in 4-6 weeks

If we are capturing more so we are like 3x more cases then it’s 180k cases so 1800 deaths.

1 Like