COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Or that this killing only 200k in 2020 would literally be a miracle at this point.

Yeah but we only had 200M population in 1969 so it’s still close!

(unless you actually consider the effects of the shutdown - which is what the disingenuous a-holes who start this shit just ignore and the low-info idiots on FB parrot)

1 Like

I’m pretty convinced no number of people dying are going to get these scumbags to actually care. They are just going to whataboutism this thing all the way up. Well it hasn’t killed more than WW2! It hasn’t killed more than the bubonic plague! It hasn’t killed more than the holocaust (just kidding, most of these people probably know in their hearts the holocaust is fake)!

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/NatSecMulligan/status/1261378567952371714

2 Likes

We’re going to put 100K in the rearview in a week, then mash the gas, peg the throttle, and take a run at 200K by July 1st. Our daily average over the last 7 days was 1,400. Even just maintaining that we’re over 150K by then.

This reminds me of a scene in The Natural, which also provides a pretty good parallel to America right now.

It’s not about comparing the numbers of 1969 to now. It’s about the fact that in 1969 we just let the HK flu run its course, whereas with covid - w/o a shutdown we’d be at like 500k deaths right now and mass chaos.

Sure but they don’t realize that, they think the shutdown is a liberal scheme to tank the economy and the number of deaths would be the same anyway.

Is Lori Loughlin your mother?

9 Likes

Shouldn’t we expect the flu to be way down this year with all the attention paid to stopping the spread of disease and what will certainly be a slew of remaining social contact prevention measures in place?

2 Likes
2 Likes

I would think so.

It seems to me BC and Alberta are being pretty reasonable with reopening.

Is suzzer posting parody over at 2p2?

I took an antibody test because I was curious if that weird 3-4 week cold with dry cough that I know I caught in Vegas the first week of Dec. was somehow a weird mild strain of covid.

It wasn’t. But I still wonder if maybe it was close enough I have good antibodies which can help.

9 Likes

Lol I had a cold so “close enough” That means I must be safe

1 Like

Haiti update:

My Haitian friend (I hesitate to use the term because of the stark imbalance between my life and his; this is a fisherman whom I’ve kept up with after meeting and talking to there) told me his mom has COVID-19. He sent me a picture of his mom in the hospital with a facemask on.

If it’s truly COVID-19, this is very bad. The probability of these of his family contracting it seems really unlikely if there are only 250 cases in all of Haiti (they aren’t even in Port-au-Prince). It’s much more likely that COVID-19 is very widespread already.

This would also bode ill for the idea of heat and humidity being really important. (Coastal) Haiti is freaking hot and humid, and not “so hot everyone stays indoors” since there’s barely any AC. Granted, Haitians spend lots of time in poorly ventilated places.

There were also major demonstrations/borderline riots against social distancing. The government tried to shut markets down certain days of the week to reduce contact. Of course, these people weren’t protesting about not getting a haircut; they literally cannot eat that day unless they work that day.

I was in Haiti when Chikungunya spread through (2014) and the stats on it were just completely laughable if you asked locals. There were supposedly 60,000 cases at the time, yet locals would tell me they and literally everyone they knew had gone through it. I’m worried this is happening again.

11 Likes

That and the summer air should make things all good!

Suzzer, i feel like since I don’t post often it may seem like a disproportionate amount of my posts are joking at you but I think you are one of the better posters here and at 2p2 so don’t take my posts personally.

2 Likes

In between that and the study posted a few posts earlier it has been a rough morning for the heat savior theories. I too worry about some of the people I have met over the years traveling. Poorer countries would normally be looking to the US and Europe for aid in these situations. This time they will likely be ignored by the powers that be and the media most likely as the focus is on what happens at home. Seems unlikely any of these places will have any significant testing or treatment for the virus and it seems ripe to just rip through the entire population in no time.

Anecdotally, it also seems like traffic is back to being pretty awful and large gatherings of unmasked folks are way up.

Good news. It’s been two weeks and no one else at the nursing home has tested positive!!

From what I understand the nursing home was doing some aggressive screening and testing and were able to catch the positive case before it was symptomatic.

11 Likes