COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

You’re a guy. Your window isn’t closing. Getting/staying in shape gets more important. Seriously though, your window is open for a long time if you’re willing to be the grandpa-aged dad.

2 Likes

If he’s not, I am. Ladies get in line.

8 Likes

Life is not fair about this for men and women, but you’ve got ten years easy to get married and have kids without the age difference even being awkward. (not that this is from personal experience, my wife is 3 weeks older than me)

If the vast majority of people are terrible at understanding the risks of a low probability event like COVID, even the smarter ones, is it really worth losing friends over? I’m the same age as you, and my friends are almost all college educated liberals, and I take this more seriously than the vast majority of them (granted I can stay inside and play poker online, like you, which is convenient), but if I was to start breaking up friendships with the ones that are going out to restaurants or traveling, it’d be more than a handful. Plus my immediate family. Seems kind of negative life EV, no?

Yea this is the nice thing about being a guy. I’m 34, but plan on eventually living long term in SE Asia or Latin America, where the age limitations for this sort of stuff really go a long way!

Chapo said it best.
Trump : A 9/11 a day
Biden : A 9/11 every other day

I know everyone thinks the simulation writers have jumped the shark but it’s gotta be said that America reacting to 9/11 by launching a war that killed maybe a million people and squandered trillions of dollars, then reacting to virus 9/11 every day with “WEAR A MASK AND DON’T GO TO CHEESECAKE FACTORY? HOW DARE YOU SIR” is one of their best pieces of writing so far.

10 Likes

And for the opposing viewpoint in transmission

Just to belabor the point, my google news feed:

https://www.alternet.org/2020/06/the-world-health-organizations-new-announcement-about-covid-19-was-a-huge-mistake/amp/

I think the problem here is the math

People wo symptoms may be less infectious but have way more exposure (cause they are out walking around feeling fine). Best I can read the non-symptomatic are a little less than half of the transmissions.

So if I=infectiousness and E=exposure

IE for the sick is big I little E
IE for not sick is little I big E

But the both sick and not sick IE products are roughly similar.

But of course CNBC adds on an even worse headline/tweet that has stuck. I was a awake for a bit overnight and heard the philly sports guys mention how this new finding was going to help open things up. Sigh.

1 Like

You’d think Harvard Medical School would have better things to do than play Car Park Monitor when a pandemic is abound

China dismisses study suggesting Covid hit much earlier

China has dismissed a study suggesting the coronavirus might have been spreading in the city of Wuhan as early as August last year as “ridiculous”.

The research carried out by Harvard Medical School used satellite imagery of hospital car parks in Wuhan - where Covid-19 was first identified towards the end of last year - and data for symptom-related queries on search engines for things such as “cough” and “diarrhoea”.

The study found a steep increase in hospital car park occupancy in August 2019.

However, China’s Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said: “I think it is ridiculous, incredibly ridiculous, to come up with this conclusion based on superficial observations such as traffic volume.”

75%

Surely this will create a bunch of passive refusal, like the company’s lawyers will say to tell people not to come in if they have symptoms so everyone will start self reporting fantasy symptoms.

While it’s been annoying doing some of the random support for clueless people working from home (“I’ve been getting dropped all day and my internet is fine, you need to fix this!” Remotes in and sees user’s internet is totally not fine, argues with him for 10 minutes), it’s been glorious working in a near-empty office with just my boss a few rooms over and 3-4 other random people that I occasionally talk do from 10-12 feet away. There are no immediate plans for people to come back but I’m gonna be a little sad for this aspect of the pandemic to end.

Might not even be fantasy symptoms. I’ve had a ton of mornings with congestion and a slightly sore throat that I guess has been mostly allergies. And then the occasional headache. I’m always about 98% sure the symptoms are not the onset of CV-19, but I would still feel very uncomfortable heading to work just in case I’m wrong.

2 Likes

Turns out masks are not required just recommended. I’m sure 90% won’t be wearing a mask, so fuck it right?

Any thoughts they will extend remote work beyond the pandemic? My work is so happy with how productive we’ve remained that they have started talking about letting people live wherever they want within the US, on a permanent basis. This is a huge change from a few years ago when I was one of the only employees allowed to work remote on a regular basis, and that was for only 1-2 days per week which I started pushing to 3 days early this year.

I’m sorry to hear that, cuse. Fuck (too soon or not soon enough?).

Are you in any online circles where you might make friends and meet potential partners? Screening process might be a little weird in current circumstances, but it’s okay to take a whole bunch of time screening whether to meet in person the same way a person might take a while to decide whether to kiss someone or more. That’s not a new obstacle. Just a new place to encounter it.

For dating, my concern would be whether the attraction would transfer once we are IRL, but again that’s not a new obstacle. Just a new place to encounter it. And you can have an outrageous amount of fun online only. Most won’t lead to anything long term, but neither would dating primarily in person (unless you’re co dependent and rush into enmeshment lol).

Not the same for me as I have an SO and am not interested in an open relationship or poly, but as far as friends go, I have been very fulfilled strengthening the connections with my current friends via phone/internet, as well as finding two or three new good friends from Unstuck I probably would not have gotten close to if COVID hadn’t made them into as big of a hermit as me :grinning:

You might also enjoy recent episodes of the Savage Love podcast, a long-running relationship column/podcast where in recent episodes everyone is talking about the challenges of dating and sex in the COVID era.

Perhaps time to revive the dating thread???

1 Like

I think this must be based on Joe mangling the accurate observation that rubber bullets are supposed to be shot at the ground to scatter crowds, you’re not actually supposed to shoot people in the face with them.

This is horrible and hubristic to say but the Covid pandemic so far is one of the best things to happen to me personally. No one I know has gotten sick yet (hubris) I got a 3 month paid staycation (my favourite type of holiday) and now I’m WFH full time which is what I’ve always dreamed of. Plus I didn’t have to go anywhere or do anything which is perfect for my weirdo ultra introvert mind and I was/am being “a hero” for it. Total middle class white privilege in action. It’s a really conflicting feeling.

15 Likes