COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Let’s ask Joe next town hall. I’m sure he will clear this up.

Well, you experience what you experience. I think all that can be asked of you is to be thoughtful about it, which you are.

One fallout of all this is that a lot people will want to keep working from home but I don’t think that’s exclusively driven by worker personalities. A lot of it is that commuting options and workplaces have both been toxic for a long time.

This has truly been the worst year for allergies. I barely even realized I had them, but now… pure torture.

1 Like

I am confident you are right, I’m just not sure that his statement was not based on a total misunderstanding of the rubber bullet thing. I’m imagining (with no basis, lol) that some staff explained the rubber bullet issue to him and he didn’t really get it.

We want to get rid of white privilege by making everyone else as privileged as us vs cops/bosses/landlords/other-evil-folk… not by reducing our privileges vs evil to the levels of those not white. An injury to one is an injury to all doesn’t mean the those not yet actually injured need to start doing self-harm.

5 Likes

Santa Clara county has definitely seen an uptick in new cases since about Memorial Day, presumably from Mother’s Day visits. It’s not clear yet if it’s a spike or if ~35 new cases a day is the new normal, up from ~20 cases/day, or if it might go back down.

Yeah the allergies have been the worst I’ve ever had. First time I’ve gotten hives, even went to an allergist a week ago to get a test and consultation done which was a great experience during all this. I switched over from Allegra (first time I’ve ever taken it) to Zyrtec and take it twice a day and it’s helped so much

I’ve already seen anecdotal evidence of the derposphere taking the WHO announcement to mean that people without symptoms cannot transmit the virus. WAAF. CNBC is also hot garbage and should be nuked from goddamn orbit, what an utter piece of shit idea that was.

Welcome to my world. Same CPA FIRM. We have 14 employees. Most with own offices.

-0- people wearing masks in their own office with doors open. Multiple people walking around sans mask.

I just try not to touch anything and lock myself in my office.

My job hasn’t even started talking about going back into the office and its a hard no from me until new cases come down to like 20 a day so yeah. We’re at ~500.

I definitely think they’re more open to it. Over the last few years they’ve let a few valued employees move away and keep their positions, there’s just a bit of that casual small-company attitude towards sharing info and fixing problems where it often involves pulling people aside and everybody gathering around a desk to look at it. Not that that can’t be done by other means but old habits die hard.

I mean this is NJ so the restrictions are only being eased very gradually, and I while there hasn’t been any official word, I think the policy is going to be “come back when you’re comfortable”.

https://thehill.com/homenews/coronavirus-report/501813-who-seeks-to-clarify-widely-criticized-statement-on-asymptomatic?amp

All I know is Trump is a GENIUS for defunding these guys!!

1 Like

I and about 15 others are in cubicles right next to each other. Love it.

1 Like

States who have set their all time highest 7DMA for new cases in June so far are:

Florida
Texas
California
Arizona
Arkansas
North Carolina
Alabama
Wisconsin
Mississippi
South Carolina
Utah
Oregon

3 Likes

The dirty dozen. Almost time for my weekly refresh.

Yup. I’d describe the data from the last couple weeks as mildly discouraging.

Most of those states never really had an initial surge to begin with. The only state I would classify as something that could be described as a “second wave” would be Florida, but its initial wave wasn’t that bad.

A bona fide second wave in any state, or some of these states starting to look runaway exponential, would be really bad.

Most of the states that are on this list have significantly eased restrictions or have virtually no restrictions. All of the hardest hit states still have most of their restrictions in place. I assume that is why we haven’t seen a second wave in any of the hardest hit regions.

In my opinion there is very likely a correlation between level of restriction in May and case growth/decline.

I think a big enough fraction of the population is being somewhat responsible and hopefully the worst nursing home events are being avoided.

You don’t see the people staying home on the news. Just the partiers.

I don’t expect we will see the big R0 as in March.

Also be aware that all the resolved cases are no longer infectious so that changes the baseline for calculating overall growth. That leaves us with plotting daily cases or deaths As we know is noisy data.

Also the data on active cases makes no sense to me. I prefer to just track the total positives over 14 days. Probably not the exact metric but hopefully consistent and not as subject to reporting variations.

1 Like

Agreed. And people who lived in states that were hard hit are probably much more likely to know someone who had/died of COVID, and thus will take future social distancing more seriously despite regulations being eased.

Still, there are things that don’t have easy explanations in the data.

I think it’s likely that in a few weeks there is going to be a state that is clearly transforming into a devastating outbreak. It’s probably on this list of 12. It will take a month of lockdown to have the caseload peak and begin a downward trend. And it’s very uncertain we have the will or political leadership to make that happen.

I could totally picture quite a bit of domestic migration to avoid lockdowns or risk of being sick, which will just make it worse for everyone.

The lull in COVID-19 panic is probably coming to a close soon, in other words, unless all of these states magically flatline or decline in caseload.