COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

At the risk of sounding like a broken record we also don’t need a “second wave” really to have a catastrophic result. Just flatlining where we are now will result in a bad enough result.

As for the data being tricky to interpret I totally agree. I do think part of the issue is we are all expecting a huge growth curve like in round 1. Part of the reason that isn’t happen are the reasons you and Dan talked about which will affect R. I also think that the other issue is the growth in March/early April was not as steep as it looked. We were basically getting back as many positives as we could test for then in a lot of places. I bet if we saw the actual curve of growth in cases it would actually start in late January and be a much flatter upward trajectory.

In other words we can’t have that same rate of growth because 1)some measures are being taken by some people and also 2)what we perceive to be the rate of growth from March was probably much steeper than the actual rate of growth.

1 Like

Whoever made that WHO claim about asymptomatic then walked it back should be snap fired. Trump is 100% going to tweet see told you the WHO don’t know what they are doing. I was right to defund them.

1 Like

No one close to me has had the corona virus yet but I have heard 4-5 different stories about a friend of a friend of a friends having a relative that died. This thing is going to start getting closer to everyone.

I guess I should clarify, no one close to me has “tested positive” for covid 19 yet.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s true… although I have my concerns as to the long-term stability of those relationships that are forged when people are maybe more inclined to settle because they’re craving intimacy. This is so unprecedented, I think it’s impossible to tell what the mental effects will be on people and how it will play out.

This is good and bad, like what percentage of people are being as careful as me? 5%? If that’s a criteria I use or most people use, and I suspect it will be a general barometer to judge someone’s personality, my dating pool may have narrowed considerably. On the other hand, if women start putting more value on someone with empathy, kindness, stability, etc, that could help me.

Just online dating, really, but given that I don’t plan on dating until there’s a vaccine, good treatment, or a low number of cases in the area, that could be a while. I suppose it would be possible to do like outdoor “home” dates on the terrace here or on someone’s deck or something.

This is true, I guess. Screen more, make sure they’re more worth the risk of having a date with in the current circumstances.

Yeah, my concern is to spend months talking to a few people, then meet in person and it’s nothing and it’s like having a big breakup with someone you had never even really met cause you were talking for months. I don’t know, it’s uncharted territory.

1 Like

Many US states record new infection highs

As the total US case count creeps toward 2 million, 14 states and Puerto Rico are facing record highs in their seven-day average of new Covid cases, according to the Washington Post.

Some states link the upsurge to improved testing, but many of these states - Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Kentucky, New Mexico, North Carolina, Mississippi, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Utah - have been among the most aggressive in loosening social distancing restrictions.

In South Carolina, which yesterday set a new record for new cases in a single day, gyms, restaurants and salons are all open for business.

In Florida on Sunday, state officials recorded more than 1,000 new Covid-19 cases for the fifth day in a row, while Arizona now faces a particularly steep rise.

Just finished a conference call at work.

Boss: Just letting you all know that we will not be opening the office up for at least a few more months. It may even be longer than that, but definitely not sooner.

Boomer co-worker: so, when I take my summer vacation, I can just take my laptop and keep working as usual, right?

Boss: Basically yes, but use the VPN and please don’t set up in a Starbucks or other public space.

Co-worker: what’s a vpn?

6 Likes

What a kissass. Who works during vacation unless your job is just awful

3 Likes

Why even waste the days off if you’re going to work?

US currently at 110k deaths (numbers less believeable than China stats but maybe more realistic than Brazil, maybe)

I’d add in another 45k deaths attributable to Covid (over and above average death rates for period in previous years based off 5yr average)

SO, USA#1 probably already rocking minimum 150k deaths as at 9 June 2020

Add in 6 months of pretend ‘track and trace’, social distancing and OPEN FOR BUSINESS so 450k deaths easily doable by end 2020… assuming no standrd flu season to add to the hospital load

Here’s a comparable if you like those sorts of things…

UK reporting 40k deaths but 5yr average indicates this might be more like 63k deaths

1 Like

I would be my net worth on under 450k, lol.

1 Like

We are going to remain remote til at least the end of July I think. My company is really against remote work but seem like they are adapting to it. HR just sent out an email to the company asking that in any meeting you turn your camera on and dress as you would at the office.
My whole team was basically like lol, no.

1 Like

lol at you not with you

1 Like

Well, you did 110k to 160k in 3 months and we’re in June with 6 months remaining.

USA will never report 450k, I’ll agree with you there

Just found out today that I will be getting tested for COVID-19 next Thursday or Friday. I’m having a surgery on 6/22 and need to test negative 96hrs prior then strictly quarantine. Wish they were doing an antibody test as well, but that’s really of no benefit to them. Will report what the experience is like here.

4 Likes

Because the co worker is itching to OPEN FOR BUSINESS, so he wants to travel to one of the states with fewer restrictions. But, he also wanted to take the laptop, so he could still “work” and not have to officially use any of his PTO. He just wanted to make sure it was ok to “wfh” in a location that wasn’t home.

LOL HR. Always.

There are tons of factors that won’t be repeated by EOY even if we were fully OPEN FOR BUSINESS, we we aren’t and sure as hell won’t be for a long time. Giant mass gatherings will be severely limited still, millions already infected, offices and residents of most major urban areas practicing any type of mitigation versus Feb/Mar, exposure to large viral loads likely reduced due to all of the above, and 100-150k of the most vulnerable already dead. Testing infrastructure and general care capacity is also night and day since this started, even if not where it needs to be.

I’ll LOL at 450k again and invite you to quote this on 12/31/20 to rub it in my face. There is tons of money to be made if you really think it hits anywhere near that mark.

So you have four full days to part it up between the test and surgery! Congrats. TR please!!!

(gl w surgery)

2 Likes

Going to be a wild weekend.

“You’ll get the test, then go home and stay home until surgery. Strict quarantine.”

I’ve been doing that since 3/12, I think I’ll manage ok lol. Thanks for the gl, Dan.

People who would rather save their vacation days while still going on vacation.