COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

https://twitter.com/ashishkjha/status/1270069131652427776?s=21

Did you enjoy the experience? Sounds miserable.

It was fine. Good food. The other stuff was of minor inconvenience.

Finally watching contagion, itā€™s on hbo now if anyone hasnā€™t seen it

1 Like

Carnival cruise lines is also up from about 7.50 at their low to closing near 25 today.

1 Like

Yes, the US survives, unfortunately.

So when we hit 250K and you remind him, whatā€™s he going to do? Claim itā€™s fake like HNH did?

The number of deaths trend has tended to lag behind the number of new cases by about ten days, seems likely that weā€™re going to hold steady at about 1,000 dead/day for the next week or two.

Germany started reopening in early May, they seem to be an example of how a society that takes COVID seriously can reopen without causing COVID to flare up again.

3 Likes

Yes. No.

https://twitter.com/TheTweetOfGod/status/1270103709754593280?s=19

Is there a single state with an actual fucking plan? Because it sure seems like the entire country is good with 1-2k people dying every day until we have a vaccine.

2 Likes

Hawaii?

1 Like

Iā€™ve lost track of where to find the good data, so I donā€™t know how NH is doing. But Iā€™ve been surprised lately on grocery store trips that mask wearing is still close to 100% in my area. And most people around me still seem to be taking things seriously, although there has been a little bit of letting up. (Iā€™ve let up on some things myself a little as well, including loosening up my grocery shopping/sanitizing routine.)

Iā€™m pretty pleased with how Vermont has handled this so far.

I probably wonā€™t remind him cause we arenā€™t speaking anymore, but if I did, based on how heā€™d handled this so far, he would already have rationalized it and set a new bar. I assume thatā€™s some kind of natural coping mechanism a lot of people have.

This loosening up is really fucking me lolā€¦ Every time Iā€™m about to feel comfortable with something, something loosens and Iā€™m like no fuck that!

I want to golf with my buddy whoā€™s quarantining well, or with my Dad and stay distancedā€¦ But now you canā€™t hold a tee time for just two, they might pair you with randos. Fuuuuck that.

I was considering maybe one grocery store trip a month, but people apparently arenā€™t wearing masksā€¦ Fuuuuuck that.

I have been considering reopening cuserounder for dating business, but I assume just when Iā€™m close to ready, the spike in cases will scare me back into my bubble. Thatā€™s the one thing thatā€™s tough. Iā€™m 34, my window to meet someone and have kids is closing and giving up a year of it might be worse than risking the virus, I donā€™t know. For now Iā€™ll keep holding off but the thought of what this does to my odds of ever getting married has been putting me into a pretty big depression the last few days.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll be keeping a close eye on these trendlines this week. I know it looks like a stock market chart but itā€™s not.

Illinois is tracing about 30% of contacts. The Gov said the industry standard is 60% because lots of people decline to participate/donā€™t pick up the phone. He said at the time the goal was to get to 60% by August, but the way our cases are dropping we might beat that.

The plan to get there is to throw money at counties to hire tracers. Also to stay locked down. Weā€™re at least a month away from indoor restaurants.

2 Likes

Keep hope alive, I think it may turn out to be the opposite, i.e., your odds of being successfully paired within the next 3-5 years might actually go up. There are millions of people in the same boat as you, and when things go back to ā€œnormalā€ there will be a huge pent-up demand for human connection, togetherness, and intimacy.

Plus it will never be easier to vet your potential romantic partners than by asking them a few pointed questions about how they handled the events of 2020. Speed dating template: 1 question about how they handled the pandemic, 1 question about thoughts on police violence, 1 question about thoughts on the election. ā€œThank you, Next!ā€

6 Likes

Pretty much what everybody should do until further studies replicate any results.

This is like 90% of AZ population, yes?