COVID-19: Chapter 4 - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Prayer?

They think itā€™s going to be like this:

She very much believes in healing, she was involved in a healing ministry for a while. I could see the wheels turning when I told her none were healed. Of course, in a month if 90% of them recovered and 10% died, sheā€™d claim 90% were healed by God, even if the national recovery rate was 90%.

The other trick they play is they tell them that not all healings are immediate, because God works in mysterious ways. So stuff she had them pray over me for as a kid that never materialized - well, sure, Iā€™m about to be 34, but itā€™s a comin! Canā€™t prove it false until I make my exit from this world.

Sometimes the only way to heal is dying

1 Like

People are bad at analyzing and managing risk. There are deep psychological factors at play.

Part of it is peer pressure, you now see people going to crowded restaurants and bars and beaches on the news every day and they seem fine, right?

Thereā€™s also an attitude of cumulative protection, i.e., ā€œIā€™ve been so careful for the past two months, surely a night out at a restaurant isnā€™t going to undo all that hard work.ā€ Itā€™s a sense of entitlement that you ā€œdeserveā€ protection based on past sacrifices. Itā€™s self-evidently idiotic-the virus doesnā€™t care how careful you were yesterday or last week.

But rationalization trumps rationality.

2 Likes

Why doesnā€™t god regrow dismembered limbs?

1 Like

Yup, all true. Tack on the lack of anyone getting immediate feedback due to the incubation period and lack of testing, and itā€™s a recipe for horrible decision making.

2 Likes

Anyone else getting severely increased peer pressure to get back to normal? Like Iā€™m borderline losing long-time friends over it. I only have one friend IRL whoā€™s still maintaining the same degree of precautions now. Everyone else feels safe and Iā€™m getting a range of mocking derision up to forcefully being told to STFU about anything negative.

Not in LA. No one I know is up for hanging out. My ex and I went hiking last Friday. I thought maybe weā€™d get some risky doggy style in. Nope - I got an elbow bump. People are still super paranoid here at least in my circles.

2 Likes

Longtime White House butler dies at 91

A White House staff member who cared for 11 US presidents has died with coronavirus at the age of 91, according to his family.

Wilson Roosevelt Jerman joined under President Eisenhower in 1957 and was a cleaner when First Lady Jackie Kennedy approached him and promoted him to butler. Years later a photo of him appeared in Michelle Obamaā€™s memoir Becoming after he had risen to the rank of maĆ®tre dā€™.

His more than five decades of service have been studied by historians of African-Americans in politics.

Like other African-American men of his generation, says Ohio State Universityā€™s Koritha Mitchell, author of From Slave Cabins to the White House, he showed dignity while serving in one of the few positions that was available to him at the time.

She believes that he must have found it satisfying to end his career in the way that he did.

He was working for Obama, ā€œa dignified president who was also African Americanā€, she says, adding: ā€œThat must have felt like a victory.ā€

Calls to US poison control centres on the rise

More than 3,600 cases of disinfectant exposure were reported in April to the US poison control centres, compared to 1,676 in February.

Experts warn against using cleaning products beyond their intended use, such as wiping down groceries.

Dr Kelly Johnson-Arbor from the National Capital Poison Center said there was no medical reason to be ā€œdrinking or bathing in disinfectantsā€.

In April, President Trump seemed to suggest injecting bleach as way of ā€œcleaningā€ Covid-19 from the inside. But the next day, he told journalists: ā€œI was asking a question sarcastically to reporters like you just to see what would happen.ā€

Video:

And a lot of those OPEN FOR BUSINESS states are just about to enter hurricane season. Seems bad.

Not me. My friend group is still very much locked down.

It helps that our big hangout events (bar trivia) is not a thing right now and not likely to be a thing any time soon. But I donā€™t think any of us would go even if it was happening because all of us are sensible people.

1 Like

I need to move to California.

Yep, Iā€™m in California too and nobodyā€™s hanging out or going out.

2 Likes

If you exclude NY/NJ we are definitely in the running to hit the all time high number of new confirmed cases today. The previous high was a hair over 24,000. We are currently at 21,300 with a few states missing and quite a few large counties missing in states that have partially reported. Seems like all the talk about whether or not there will be a second wave by Trump and the media is kind of ignoring the fact 90% of the country is still in deep trouble with the first wave.

The first wave hasnā€™t even crested yet, and weā€™re reopening lolā€¦ What a stupid country.

Our opponent exposed his hand on the turn for no apparent reason, he has quads, we have an open ended straight flush draw. Thereā€™s like 1,000 in the pot and we just jammed a million in there and said, ā€œI have a good feeling about this!ā€

Our opponent is confused, re-checking the board a few times. Weā€™re like ā€œWanna raise the stakes? Hey honey, go get the deed to the house!ā€

1 Like

Okay so maybe abolish? Not posting in aids thread

3 Likes

Exactly. People hear about numbers coming down in many places and they automatically assume it applies to everybody. This is the chart for Maricopa Co. AZ and Iā€™m going to need to see a lot more downward movement in that line before I think about emerging from the hermit cave for anything other than bare necessities.

maricopa

1 Like

Indianapolis ā€œOpens for Businessā€ tomorrow. All the restaurants and bars will able to serve outside only. Neighborhood spots are all getting set up. The city also decided to close 4 main streets for cars in order for restaurants to expand their outside seating. I would have / will love that idea once we arenā€™t in a pandemic.