COVID-19: Chapter 10 - Mission Achomlished!

Yeah, I don’t blame you. It was an enormous relief for us when our kids got their shots.

CA Dept of Public Health going all in on triggering right-wing dipshits. Masks, no white kids, using the words “kind” and “kindness”. The hijab is the chef’s kiss.

2 Likes

Trump-Gaetz 2024: Fuck your kindness and fuck your kids!

Wait, may need a different VP for that campaign slogan.

2 Likes

I think this is a promising signal:

Today, Rep. James E. Clyburn, Chairman of the Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis, issued the following statement after a staff briefing by Dr. Peter Marks, Director for the Center of Biologics Evaluation and Research at the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), on the status of coronavirus vaccine candidates for young children that took place on the afternoon of May 6.

[snip to get to the key point:]

FDA Will Not Withhold Authorization Based Exclusively on Vaccine Efficacy at Preventing Symptomatic Infection

• Dr. Marks explained that FDA would not withhold authorization for a pediatric vaccine solely because it did not reach a 50% efficacy threshold at blocking symptomatic infection—a requirement that had been previously listed in FDA guidance. The vaccines currently authorized in the United States have proven to be less effective at preventing symptomatic infection from the Omicron variant—as compared to the original strain—but still remain effective at reducing the risk of severe disease.

• Dr. Marks confirmed, “If these vaccines seem to be mirroring efficacy in adults and just seem to be less effective against Omicron like they are for adults, we will probably still authorize.” He further stated that FDA would “look carefully at all data” when assessing the vaccines—including the efficacy against severe disease—and made clear that “the goal here is to get some protection in sooner rather than later.”

Past 100 years or so of spillover events:

1 Like

what’s the point? end of pandemic then?
lols @ under 5’s.

“Only 11% have been vaccinated in low-income countries and we set a target of 70%,” he said.

To protect my girls from sickness and death you fuckwit.

2 Likes

I thought they already had it (and passed it on to their Dad (who didn’t get tested) who is still here to tell the story) you fuckwit

Immunity from past infection is neither as robust nor as lasting as vaccination, and we know that immunity from vaccination wanes, too. Guess I should just keep letting them get covid so that they’ll be protected from covid?

2 Likes

You’ve waived any right to an expectation of sympathy if you have some sort of karmic result affecting an under-five in your life.

1 Like

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: About Moderation

wrong

finally admitting this, are you

Apparently, it’s over. Unless we don’t vax the world, in which case, look out, new variants

Fucking cite it, then, bro.

Been saying it as soon as the data showed it.

Why not both kids under 5 AND the rest of the world? Kids can create variants, too, and someone in Rwanda who’s not getting vaccinated is not the fault of my children who are not yet vaccinated.

That is, in fact, not what the fuss is about.

The evidence supporting “natural” immunity (lord I hate that term) over vaccination is equivocal at best. Every reputable health org is telling people to get vaccinated even if they think they’ve had COVID. Moreover, even if you wanted to deliberately infect yourself, there’s no reliable way to do that and doing so would jeopardize your health and maybe further spread the disease.

All of which obviously wasn’t what the fuss was about, but it feels worth putting it out there.

1 Like

Two points:

1. The evidence supporting this “natural” immunity thing is weak at best and legit health orgs are advising people to get vaccinated anyway.

2. There’s no real practical/safe way to deliberately infect your kids even if you believe there is some benefit to it.

All of which is orthogonal to the issue of whether it’s okay to troll Wookie over his kid’s vaccinations, which is a topic for the atf thread down the hall.

You need to go back and reread that thread. As wookie could be entirely wrong about the point your making and it would be immaterial to why churchill should be gone.

You can check with the WHO or CDC or health org if your choice, they’re all advising people to get vaxxed even if they think they’ve been infected.

I don’t think any of the sources I cite mention deliberately infecting anyone as a preventative measure.

Sure. It’s not a practical measure to take even if you think there’s some benefit to it, which is why Wookie is very much interested in getting his daughter vaccinated ASAP. You should still get vaccinated regardless of how the natty immunity vs vaxx question gets resolved.

I’m pretty sure the preponderance of evidence is that the best immunity in order is:

1. Vaxxed + infected
  2. Vaxxed
  3. Infected

There may be individual studies that dispute that, and in particular an infection with, say, BA.2 will probably provide better immunity against BA.2 than the original vaccination - and perhaps against some other variants, too. However, vaccination appears to provide broader and longer-lasting protection against the range of variants than an infection with a single variant.

That’s all before accounting for the fact that the risks associated with vaccination are very minor and the frequency of incidents is low, relative to the risks and frequency of severe negative outcomes with an infection.

I guess my only point here is you should still get your family vaxxed ASAP regardless of the “natural” immunity debate and the reputable health orgs all seem to be saying this afaict. This is all stuff everyone here knows anyway, so idk why I’m saying it.

1 Like