About Moderation (old original thread)

I am all for jokes. I had just never seen it before. Some might be sensitive to mods joking though.

What to the who now? I’ve mostly been out getting drunk and playing 9 ball this weekend. What did I miss?

Anyway, 4 rails, back in the same corner pocket, kids. Stay in school.

1 Like

Enough is enough. Churchill is now trolling people who want to get their children vaccinated for covid but can’t because they’re under 5. This is the unofficial 1000th time he’s obnoxiously trolled that thread. We should bad him from that thread forever. This is absurd. We shouldn’t have to do this so often.

1 Like

Agreed, enough is enough. He’s been pushing disinfo for a long time and this is just even more over the line.

I don’t see why churchill should ever be allowed to post in the covid thread ever. Trolling people wanting to get their children some protection from covid is a new low.

2 Likes

He’s been pushing disinfo throughout this public health crisis, idk why today’s bit crosses the line.

lol churchill still not permanently banned

I wonder if mods go, “Gee I’m sure he’ll get the point and change his ways after another 3 day ban.”

1 Like

LOLing at posters kids not being able to get vaccinated and catching it is pretty personal and offensive. He should have been banned a long time ago.

Just dropping in to point out that you are a spectacular piece of shit.

Regards,

—jman220

2 Likes

Going after people’s kids to troll them is a new line. Also a pure body of work argument is easily made.

I don’t even think he has to be banned from all of UP, but the covid thread work is absurd and obviously nothing but bad faith.

@JonnyA silencing Churchill is not enough. He’s just going to go back to whatever ciriclejerk PM thread they have and come back to take a new dump in the covid thread again. It has no deterrent affect. Please just stop him from posting in the covid thread again. This is ridiculous.

Moved discussion here of moderation.

My understanding is mods can’t unilaterally perma, so if you want him gone I think we have to go through RFC process.

By my count via a quick search, Churchill has been banned/silenced/suspended 20 times over his work in the COVID-19 thread by six different mods: Mr Wookie (7), Otatop (4), Riverman (4), Tilted (3), CanadaMatt (1) and now JonnyA (1). He also had a post in that thread deleted by SenorKeed but no farther action on that one. He was also banned by Microbet once for trolling a different thread.

I could be missing some, but even if not, that seems like enough of a pattern to be pretty confident that he’s not modifying his behavior or viewing these bans as any sort of deterrent.

1 Like

Instead of perma, just make bans longer than a week. Like a month or even longer than that.

Not perma, no RFC needed.

AFAIK this is only a norm, not a written rule

Permaban process itself has not made it out of RFC to any binding vote

If people flag the posts I’ll look at them. If that’s all people are doing and not posting substantive content, then I’ll ask them to knock it off. I’m not particularly familiar with ctyri’s posting so am not in a position currently to judge him, but do believe I’ve given Viktor a warning or two. Not sure I’ve seen AQ do this and I think he posts substantively (or at least used to).

For this time, CN got moderated in part because he also started the petty fight with church - after I’ve specifically asked him not to start petty fights (noting that I’m fine with any substantive attacks even if harsh). He then doubled down with the personal attack.

I have not been reading the Covid thread and wasn’t aware of that. I just saw the post in the the monkeypox thread. I’ll let him out of the penalty box based on your request, but I’m not sure if in general providing useful content in one thread justifies bad posting in another.

He got got for that? Even I think that’s a bit much. Again, haven’t really been following that thread so maybe there is some history I’m unaware of.

A list of threads is like telling someone to watch a four-hour YouTube video. If you want to make your case, cite a string of posts and craft a detailed narrative. Mods shouldn’t have to do the work.