COVID-19: Chapter 10 - Mission Achomlished!

Thanks. I had actually liked that post back in August when it was posted but forgot about the part about actual average percentages of infectiousness

The averages were 84.9% infectious for unvaccinated and 68.6% for vaccinated (P = 0.005) so being vaccinated makes 1 in 6 COVID-positive people not infectious when they otherwise would have been - obviously on top of making it much less likely to get infected in the first place.

The study also specifically says that asymptomatic breakthrough cases have lower viral loads than in symptomatic breakthrough cases, which answers a question I had in the other thread

Table 1 shows the distribution of Ct-values of the breakthrough infections, as a proxy for the nasopharyngeal viral load. Ct-values were significantly lower in symptomatic breakthrough infections (Ī¼ = 23.2) than in asymptomatic breakthrough infections (Ī¼ = 26.7), corresponding to higher viral loads (p = 0.022, t-test).

Iā€™m hoping they do the same study with the advent of Omicron shortly. Results should be similar now weā€™re + Booster but, I think itā€™s fair to say, many boosters will now be waning hence so many triple vax ā€˜breakthroughsā€™ (remember them, we donā€™t even use the term now)

Thread was 10x better when we were talking about donuts.

13 Likes

Today I was going to visit a friend whose immune system is very weak. To be extremely cautious, we took tests at home (cue tests). We have no symptoms so of course they were neg-. Woah, my wife tested positive! We did an immediate retest and it was negative. Now I really donā€™t know. So we both went out and got PCR tests. They promise results same day, so weā€™ll see. We cancelled the visit for now.

17 Likes

Good luck. My wife tested positive and had symptoms and I never got it. Also those home tests can be false positive, especially if there was some contamination, so PCR verification is definitely the way to go here given your conflicting results.

Also crazy that we were literally just discussing how the vaccinated might be more likely to be more socially responsible and test (in situtations exactly like you did) than the unvaccinated, and then you had a real life example of it.

None of you guys responding to JT are helping at all.

10 Likes

I donā€™t think the speculation was that unvaccinated people are more likely to be responsible and get tested, it was that since theyā€™re more likely to get seriously ill and require hospitalization theyā€™re more likely to show up as officially tested cases from hospital administered PCR tests as opposed to vaccinated people using home tests that end up unreported. For example the official advice from my county is that if I test positive on a home test, I should consider the test results accurate and isolate at home and NOT get a PCR test, and thereā€™s no mention on their website of reporting your positive home test.

2 Likes

Thread is slipping and missing the real stories

1 Like

I feel like this is one of the easier get it in front of a jury and go for nullification plays Iā€™ve seen. All you need is one anti-vaxxer. The nurses claim that they were just taking a stand against tyranny or whatever. Easiest hung jury ever.

Lawbros, what say you?

Thoughts on this:

I think the guy who wrote it (Makary) generally has pretty good takes on other topics, so he has more credibility with me than the average WSJ opinion writer. I havenā€™t really done a deep dive yet on the sources he quotes, but I suspect others here will already be familiar with them.

Iirc heā€™s putting a lot of weight on one study and not considering second order effects at all.

What specifically do you mean by ā€œsecond order effectsā€?

Well for the crux of his argument, that we shouldnā€™t have used vax mandates for workers, that a variant like Omicron (or more severe omicron) comes along and they are unvaccinated and dealing with vulnerable patients.

Also assumed that acute infection and vax are no different for long term effects.

Plus this is all part of continued WSJ oped gaslighting as they constantly argue that the US has dramatically overreacted to containing COVID

1 Like

Maybe if they were giving the fake vaccine cards out for free, but this case where they made 1.5 million has little jury appeal imo

Thatā€™s not how I took it. It sounded to me like his argument was that vax mandates are fine if prior infection meets the requirement. I donā€™t think he would say a previously uninfected person should not be vaxxed.

Also this has nothing to do with the long term effects. It doesnā€™t sound like he recommends getting COVID. Itā€™s just that if you had it, that should satisfy the requirement.

Unless his situation has changed, Makary is not a professional opinion bot. He is a full-time academic who does legit research. I guess he has become famous enough that he does a lot of speaking gigs and writes more stuff like this than he once did. I get that WSJ is giving air to his opinion since it coincides with a message they seem to like to disseminate.

makary is a name I recognize as a clown, but it will take a bit to remember why

edit found it

2 Likes

All the good stuff of his that Iā€™m aware of pre-dates COVID and is completely unrelated to COVID.

I guess itā€™s news to me that he is a COVIDiot. Iā€™m still evaluating. I hadnā€™t seen that one either.

Edit: Just read your link. He definitely completely whiffed on that. If that was all I knew of him, Iā€™d think he was a clown as well.

This is literally true, but if you have a positive antigen test, you should assume you have COVID, especially if youā€™re talking about visiting an at-risk person. False positives are really rare. Especially if youā€™re testing at homeā€¦ where is the contamination supposed to be coming from?

2 Likes

Yeah, I donā€™t disagree, she should definitely assume sheā€™s positive. That said, there is a false positive rate for those at home tests. I believe @anon38180840 linked to something a few days ago (mabye it was another poster) about some common household chemicals that could produce a false positive.

itā€™s not just covid that reacts with these things. Pretty sure soda can react with it and cause a positive IIRC. User error is real.