COVID-19: Chapter 10 - Mission Achomlished!

So I’m pozzed. Ironically the national Australian election is Saturday and I had to jump through some hoops to vote over the phone but got it through.

No real symptoms. A very mild runny nose last few days (I work on a Gold mine so chalked it up to dust/hayfever) and was positive the day after flying back home (I coughed a few times overnight, GF asked me to test).

Nothing so far. Bit of a bummer timing, I work one week on one week off so burn most of my break with covid.

15 Likes

My parents came for the first time since pre Covid finally feel safer to fly. And…

Our daughter and them have the FLU.

L O L

Been here since Saturday, daughter showed signs on Sunday then my mom on Monday and dad Tuesday. Several neg Covid tests while very symptomatic and Flu has been going around school. When the kid got Covid in Feb she was over it in like 12 hours. Had a fever from this for 4-5 days. Was 103 2 days in a row then down a little and settling at around 100 today.

Somehow wife and I have felt fine :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Similar to Ashley; tested positive today, though the cough is dry and feel fine otherwise. Hope that’s the most of it.
Been the only person masking (KN95) regularly at any group setting. Wife and I work mostly from home. Had a minor cough two days ago. Phlegmy yesterday and tested negative.

7 Likes

The home tests don’t expire however I can guarantee that the solution you dip your nose swab into somehow evaporates from a plugged tube so, in the UK (ymmv) where the (was) free tests came in batches of 6, you’ll need to pour the remnants of the 6 tubes holding the liquid into one before you have enough solution to perform the one test - like most of my poasts, this message will only make sense when the home tests you hold are older than 10 months (message from the future)

Yes, I do not understand how a sealed tube can lose volminous liquid… but somehow they do

1 Like

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: A Monkeypox on Both Your Houses: Chapter 1 - Surely This Will Blow Over Soon

A post was merged into an existing topic: A Monkeypox on Both Your Houses: Chapter 1 - Surely This Will Blow Over Soon

I was moderator ponied.

3 Likes

this is bad advice, but I’m not too worried about anyone following it.

1 Like

Any test kit from any country that has had reagents come unsealed such that evaporation can occur should be discarded.

Combining the lingering liquids from multiple kits is literally the stupidest approach. Not only may some of the reagents have oxidized or otherwise reacted with air, rendering them potentially inert or otherwise inappropriate for the intended reactions, concentration matters a lot in these things. If evaporation has occurred, then the reagents are highly likely to be over-concentrated.

Sorry, CN’s post got ping ponged because he made it after I scrolled to the bottom of this thread but before I clicked “Select all and below” posts.

No, they’re sealed. I did state YMMV and I did state this was a post from your future.

There is no such thing as a sealed tube from which water can evaporate.

2 Likes

Literally his first post back is offering really bad advice, which, fine. He’s not an expert and it’s something a layman might think is fine. But when informed by two people who obviously know better, he’s going to argue…

And away we go!

Wookie, that may be true for inferior USA test kits, but advanced nations such as the UK have solved this problem.

4 Likes

Omg

Go to a red southern state where pharmacies are begging to give them away.

It’s not nearly that hard. He can likely go to most any pharmacy within a 10 min drive and schedule an appointment online for a jab pretty quickly.

1 Like

Agree, I’m hopefully getting #4 right after Memorial Day. In my jabbed social circle there is an incredible drop off from people with 2 shots not getting the booster and it’s seldom heard that someone is getting #4. Is being vaccinated 2 years ago but ignoring the boosters still helping people?

I pretty confident that it is still helping prevent death or serious illness. However, it might not be doing much to prevent actually getting infected. I can understand not caring too much about just being infected.

The main reason I care is that I really, really hate getting colds. They always make me feel miserable for 1-2 wks. A day or two where I feel kind of shitty and can plan when it happens is preferable to me by far.

1 Like

I know several people who have it right now and they’re all sick as hell. I want to avoid it just like I want to avoid the flu.