COVID-19: Chapter 10 - Mission Achomlished!

What are the implications of this?

1 Like

I see.

1 Like

My son and his wife are flying Minny to Orlando today. Barely any masks in the airport. 20% on the plane.

At the NY Museum of Natural History masking was required and compliance was very high. They had masks at the door available.

A post was merged into an existing topic: ‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens - Gun Violence in America

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/surveillance/wastewater-surveillance/wastewater-surveillance.html

finally getting some new cases in the hospital. Mostly found randomly though (an appendicitis who tests positive and whatnot).

Oh. You mean people with Covid.

1 Like

I mean yeah? I had one kind of admit. Patient had MS and couldn’t walk anymore due to Covid. Otherwise ok. Probably not a new ms lesion but maybe.

Going to be harder and harder to figure this out

It took me 9 days to test positive after my Daughter and wife pozzed. I went through many tests prior to that even a PCR 6 days out. Finally had more significant symptoms (lots of sneezing and constant runny nose) then tested positive both at home and PCR.

2 Likes

I tested positive today on a home test. Still don’t have much in the way of symptoms. Slight sore throat, slight cough. Had a bad headache but Tylenol put that down.

Rest of the family has turned the corner. My wife definitely had the worst of it.

12 Likes

Study shows even mild/asymptomatic cases are raising the risk of heart problems. Study is before vaccines, they’re working on a study among the vaccinated now. But the fact that mild/asymptomatic cases still cause problems is not a great sign imo, although perhaps that won’t translate to mild cases among the vaccinated.

1 Like

But what are the numbers here? If I got Covid did my risk of a serious heart issue go from 10% to 20% or from 1% to 2% or from 0.1% to 0.2%? All are bad but they are wildly different phenomenon.

The context that is missing for me is how similar or not to other respiratory diseases. So, for example, my “look on google for 30 seconds” medical training tells me that a similar pattern exists for pneumonia:

https://www.samhealth.org/about-samaritan/news-search/2020/01/13/pneumonia-increases-danger-to-heart

So along with @mosdef’s question, I’d want to know whether the longer-term heart problems are more consequential for COVID than for other respiratory viruses, or whether they’re in the same ballpark.

Here’s the study. Best I can tell the risks are 50 to 140% higher and the incident rates are between 4 per 1,000 and 45 per 1,000. The increases and the rates vary significantly by type of problem.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-022-01689-3

2 Likes

This is probably the best graph from the paper to look at.

Increases in problems among the non-hospitalized are non-trivial.

3 Likes

Ballparking it by eyesight, it looks like about a 2 per 100 increase in cardiac problems for non-hospitalized covid.

My guess is vaccination will help with that, but I wouldn’t be confident in more than maybe 50% protection against it.

My GF had to make an emergency trip to Chicago last week due to the suicide of a close friend. She comes back Saturday night and tells me she started getting allergies last hour of the flight for some odd reason. Didn’t think much of it but she tested positive after waking up feeling worse.

So she’s been isolating in her room since yesterday.

I woke up today with Diarrhea and a scratchy throat. Similar to how I started symptoms back in October. I tested negative on a rapid test this Morning. Maybe two soon? We were both boosted in December. Guess the booster immunity has waned.

3 Likes

Wondering if I have covid myself. Feels a lot like allergies and tis the season for it with the sudden change in weather. However, this has been going on way too long to be just allergies.

See if I can grab some at-home tests at the pharmacy. Apparently, the pharmacy near me runs out of stock every morning.