COVID-19 (2): Turns out it's going to be pretty bad actually

You got a $2 raise too? (I dont think I’ve mentioned it but I work at a grocery store too. Nothing too hectic yet where I’m from, only called the cops once and only had one customer throw produce at my coworker. Lol)

3 Likes

I saw a KFC billboard yesterday which read “Social distancing never tasted so good”.

In unrelated news, I have been preoccupied by persistent thoughts about possible methods to destroy the KFC corporation.

4 Likes

I hope I’m wrong about this, but I think a whole whole whole lotta people who can not afford not to go out are not going out.

24 Likes

I’m thinking that maybe you can’t get this because you’re actually a sociopath.

This turns out to be fake news, by the way. Satire site. Poe’s Law strikes again.

1 Like

Going to be honest, I have never really cared about the number of cases except to identify spread and to see if testing has gotten better.

More in deaths and ICU hospitalizations even though, at least deaths, are not fully counted.

I still think the pool of asymptomatic people is pretty high so yeah the total numbers will likely go up for a long time until testing catches up. But lol at letting that determine one’s panic level.

I clicked “See Less” and it just made the picture bigger. Not happy!

1 Like

I have gathered over the years that KFC is crazy popular in Australia, at least compared to the US.

I withdraw my “like” but I still like it.

Just FWIW you’ve got me thinking about the morality of paying people to assume risk for me. No decisions have been made but I’m thinking my previous rationalizations were a little thin. Not saying I’m definitely changing my behavior but will give it some more concerted thought.

3 Likes

Aren’t we (the US) already worse than Italy according to many metrics? I think the only one on which we lag behind them is death rate but that’s already in question because we’re clearly intentionally mis/undercounting deaths?

Not to be arguing so much with you - doing it because I trust neither of us are mad - you know I :heart: you.

But, something like 45k Americans die every year for not having health insurance. I am just now coming off getting my insurance reinstated having lost it for late payment. This is probably a bigger risk to me and my immediate (not the older people) family than COVID. Almost certainly. If I can go out and make $3000 for 3 or 3-1/2 days work, I’m gonna do it.

Bill Mitchell is one of my favorite cranks. He’s like if you combine Scott Adams and David Sklansky and the average 80 year old man living in The Villages.

1 Like

KFC #2 behind only McDonald’s. Our fast food market is dominated by fewer players for some reason. KFC is the only player in the fried chicken space, Red Rooster and Nando’s do chicken as well, but not typically battered fried chicken. Chains like Popeye’s and Chik-Fil-A do not exist. It’s similar in the burger space where there are McDonald’s and Hungry Jack’s (what we call Burger King for some reason) and then vast amounts of daylight before you hit any other burger chain. I think third ranked is Grill’d, a fairly recent local entrant.

1 Like

KFC is a lot better outside of the US ime.

Before you judge me for eating KFC while traveling internationally, I would like to say that the 2 times I have done it I had been out of the country for well over a month. Sometimes those cravings must be satisfied. AMA about getting Carl’s Jr. in Shanghai.

1 Like

I think KFC is disgusting personally and never eat it, but I would seem to be in a minority.

Sorry brother. If you lived closer, I’d suggest forming a shopping cooperative with you. Didn’t mean to guilt you. I was just mad at jman.

I meant in terms of hospital crunch.

1 Like

I feel the need for KFC about once every 10 or 15 years.

1 Like