Coronavirus (COVID-19)

My grandad was shot and injured during WW1.

You lot are babes.

I liked your first crack at this post better.

1 Like

mine all draft dodged AND one of them still got on the war memorial because nobody bothered to check before chiseling the names in there.

CHECKMATE PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY SERVED

(if they all get this, 50/50 one of them croaks!) (the only non insane one died maybe half a year ago, but he pretty much died internally before I ever knew him, apparently that happens if you screw up and marry a complete loonbasket)

Hmm after thinking about this more I realized that I actually know a guy that shot someone else. It was one of my friend’s dads growing up and he shot a dude breaking into their house. Some crawler is gonna analyze this post and ++ one of those defensive firearm counter sites now isn’t it?

Borrowed my dads car and went to stock up at the grocery.

Telling myself I’m just shopping for value. Definitely not panic buying like the other idiots.

I haven’t bought anything I wouldn’t normally buy tho. So I’ll get through it eventually.

Just saw an SNL sketch mentioning fake purell that’s lube in a bottle. Coincidence or SNL writers reading this thread?

4 Likes

Apart from being insurance against shit happening the good thing about always keeping reserves of common household items is that you don’t have to behave like a Trumpkin by panic stockpiling.

Ohio has tested a whopping 14 people, assuming no one’s gotten tested twice, with 5 of those tests still pending. No wonder we still have no confirmed cases.

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1236490513827672065?s=19

1 Like

It looks like as a country we’ve ramped up to 500 tests per day. Pathetic.

Too many to count. Thankfully, I’ve forgotten most of them, but a couple stick with you.

One of my partners, who is the kind of doctor I wish I was, felt pretty strongly that everyone in my specialty has some degree of PTSD. Initially, I didn’t give it much thought, but as I’ve aged, I’ve felt that he’s almost certainly right.

MM MD

3 Likes

Looks like the internet solves another mystery

14 Likes

I posted this earlier. But my ex’s 87-year old Mom is Singaporean of Chinese descent. Her family stories about what they had to do to survive WWII are mindbogglingly awful.

1 Like

My MIL’s family had to flee China in the 40’s and she was too young to go. Her grandmother took care of her and her sister until they were able to get out. She speaks very nonchalantly of watching people get their heads chopped off.

Yeah we can’t even imagine what some of them have been through.

My GF’s family story is that the Japanese troops lined everyone in the village up as punishment for some transgression, and started moving down the line executing them, but stopped right on her grandmother and let her live.

This is from something Chris Hayes retweeted, if you keep chasing through RTs you’ll get to a document that is translated from Chinese that is apparently a summary of what China believes/knows about this so far, and some data they have from studies/research.

The best news is that it appears people who get it do develop some degree of immunity for some period of time, which is extremely important in terms of these outbreaks subsiding.

https://twitter.com/florian_krammer/status/1236455333767323653?s=19

Here’s the tweet linking to the guide on treatment and diagnosis.

https://twitter.com/KrutikaKuppalli/status/1236478693767122945?s=19

A couple of my key takeaways as a layman:

1. It attacks (or at least impacts) way more than the lungs. They’ve noted changes to the spleen, heart and blood vessels, liver and gall bladder, kidneys, and other organs.

2. As we know already, the e primary symptoms it presents with are fever, dry cough and fatigue. Severe cases often present with shortness of breath and low levels of oxygen in the blood one week after symptoms start. It can take a rapid turn for the worse from there in a few ways, “severe patients can rapidly progress to acute respiratory distress syndrome, septic shock, difficult to correct metabolic acidosis, coagulation dysfunction and multiple organ failure.”

3. There have been severe cases with low grade fevers or even NO fever.

4. Looks like there may be ways to diagnose without testing for antibodies or COVID-19 nucleic acids, based on low white blood cell counts. Also looks like there are some good indications from chest imaging. Hopefully hospitals can use these methods as the CDC continues to lag on testing.

5. The treatment for mild cases includes oxygen and anti-virals and supporting organ function, among other things.

My big question is what percentage of American doctors have even seen this? Is CDC distributing this info? I doubt it. What a tragedy if we aren’t using the best info available to treat patients here.

That’s a lot of employees showing symptoms :anguished:

I’ve seen many myself (not close to as many as you). Oddly they don’t tend to be the calls that trigger me. And they’re pretty simple to treat in an EMS setting. You guys do the real work.

I haven’t had a shotgun suicide yet, knock wood. Seems like those scenes tend to stick with guys.

1 Like

Was watching a WWII documentary w the wife and I asked her how money people her grandfather killed in the war. She was shocked at the thought. The stories he told and pictures he saved made it seem like a travelog.

He was the GUNNER in a TANK that started at the beaches a couple days after D-Day and ended with him at the Eagles nest (awesome pics).

I put the over/under at 500. Chance he got shot at 1000%.

1 Like

The testing numbers are interesting. I’ve been following a couple on YouTube who were on the cruise ship in Japan. They both got it and have been in Japanese hospital for a couple weeks now. They are tested almost daily. Sometimes more. You have to have two consecutive negative tests to be considered negative.

In light of this when media mentions test numbers is it number of persons tested or raw number of tests used?