Haven’t seen much discussion on this.
Where we are at
- brand new virus has made the jump to humans. Probably from bats.
- this is very similar to SARS or MERS
- the epicentre is wuhan. A city of 11 million people.
- official tolls are 700 plus infected, with 41 dead.
- Wuhan plus a number of other cities, encompassing 30 million people, have been locked down
- exactly how infectious the virus is, is not clear
- isolated cases have been found in the UK, the US, Australia, Japan and a number of others
- the Chinese government is of course treating this with full transparency, so we aren’t relying on guesswork and half baked conjecture…
- likewise. If the pandemic gathers speed, we can all rely on our governments to respond with rational, science led approaches.
There is some suggestion that carriers can be asymptomatic. There is also info that a 4th generation patient has been identified.
The medic nerds are running models, but with incomplete information the outputs range from “Probably fine eventually” to “catastrophic” depending on the variables.