Boredsocial for mod: First step, ban [redacted] [UNDRAFTED] and the girl reading this

microbet tried that on Monday, it didn’t go well.

I guess I just don’t see making threads unpleasant as a reason for moderation. There are a few people here whose opinions and general presence are unpleasant to me. Other posters likely agree with them and consider them good friends. I’m an adult so I either ignore the person I don’t like and just continue chatting with the people I do, or engage with them and realize that they’re likely going to continue being unpleasant to talk to. The idea that Victor, Jalfrezi, and Churchill shouldn’t be able to chat here with their friends (or enemies) doesn’t even enter the equation for me.

12 Likes

Without reading thread not on board with any mod campaign based on banning people. Who gets banned shouldn’t be an individual decision. If any of those people needed to be banned they would already be banned.

Let’s all rally round our agreement with this!

1 Like

I have zero issues with BS, but while he doesn’t seem to think he would be moderator for life, he does seem to believe that “courageously” banning people is the core of the job.

I would argue that is none of the job.

No mods should be banning regular posters except at the direction of the users as a whole.

I realize this group has proven time and time again, agreeing on things is something that rarely goes smoothly, but when it comes to the act of banning regular posters I am cool with that.

If BS wants to acknowledge modding is not about banning people I might reconsider as I agree with Micro that everyone should have the opportunity.

1 Like

Not sure why I’m dragged in. I did call out BS maybe 6 months ago but I only post / read Covid thread - the only time I even see Jman or BS posts is in threads like these - I’m probably just another Brit that pisses em off.

This whole modding BS thing seems more like CW trying to exact some sort of revenge via his clique.

I am literally oblivious to it. I didn’t know anything happened.

I will share my advice as perhaps the person with one of the longest, if not longest experiences communicating online (40 years Hollah).

People need to learn to disengage. I disengage so much now sometimes I question myself over it, but it came hard earned over decades and decades. I realized I don’t need to type the last word or that my next point is really going to convince the other guy to change their mind.

State your points, discuss and then recognize a stalemate and disengage.

9 Likes

Hmmm, good question.

Ohhh

1 Like

I have a few observations but wan’t sure exactly what @microbet’s proposed mod rules are and who they do and don’t apply to(!), so I dug them up:

commonwealth, @j8i3h289dn3x7, @marty, @jalfrezi, @fidgetUK - you’ve all been mean to each other a lot and have been repeatedly warned. Be nice or get temp bans. That means no outright insults, but also no veiled insults. If you want someone else on this list modded either flag the post or start a thread calling for a perma of the offender and if that’s not merited you’ll find the loss of respect here worse than being temp banned. Do not bring up old fights. If you complain about unfair moderation, do it without even referring to anyone else one this list.

Are these still in force?

I’ve received one temp ban and no warnings like ever… maybe one PM request that I still need to act on but that’s it. Yet I appear in the permaban list.

No. They were recently “rescinded” in the About Moderation thread.

1 Like

Lol. I swear I did not see this post before I just posted in the other thread.

eta: Both posts show up at the same x minutes ago mark.

Wake up churchill. The campaign to perma three of us is purely personal and in my case stretches back a year or more to a spat with Jman about something or other that got unpleasant on both sides but that I couldn’t care less about now, let alone remember the details of.

Quite obviously the plan cooked up here is that if/when we are perm’d a certain person who just happens to be Jman and BS’s pal will return to the fold without losing face.

That BS has already offered to remove Victoar from his target list makes it even more obvious lol, and I imagine you’d also get some sort of reduced sentence if it meant them getting their way with a perma for me.

Maybe you’ll get a PM offering you a deal in exchange for your vote?

1 Like

You were not on my list and I didn’t temp ban you and I had nothing to do with a permaban list. I know a lot of people have had issue with your posting, but, and no offense, I haven’t really seen it and when I do scroll through the covid thread, it’s been easy to scroll past the arguing.

2 Likes

Good to see Jal is taking all this seriously.

1 Like

Drives me nuts that idiots like Sklansky and Malmuth can run a forum while smart guys like us suck so much at it.

1 Like

So, I’m back to “please be nicer”, but please?

It looks like bored is not going to be modded and CW is at least gone for the moment and I’m confident Jman can let this slide if you do. Any remotely effective campaign to perma you can easily be ended by you right now.

Victor is also not going to be perma’d.

Like I said, I don’t really know about churchill. He’s upsetting a lot of people in the covid thread and I haven’t followed it.

Well I can’t really, sorry.

It’s ironic that my posting in the politics threads has greatly reduced since the election anyway because apart from covid there’s little to interest me there.

And also ironic that everyone’s taking the idea floated by the absent one of destruction of the forum so seriously when the only meltdown was in one single moderation thread that everyone could just ignore if they wanted to. But as Trump has demonstrated for four years, there’s nothing quite like hyperbole to rouse people’s emotions.

I do regret my part in that thread and would play my hand differently, but reacted first instead of thinking about the meta game.

This is the exact kind of crap conspiracy posting garbage that started this all in the first place. Not only is this completely and utterly false, and silly, but once again dragging Commonwealth through the mud to boot, a guy who hasn’t posted once in this thread, and has been temp-banned. Rescinding those new moderation rules was a mistake IMO.

Edit: Just saw Micro’s post. Fine, let this slide.

All three are back in here posting about the same issue within minutes of their temp ban being over.

Just unreal.

I am now officially on team perma ban for the first time.

3 Likes