Admin Log

Anonymized account after 14 day cooling off period as requested

Been extremely busy and computerā€™s been on the fritz (finally in a repair shop though), havenā€™t had much time for this stuff.

This weekend I am planning on upgrading the forum software and doing a server reboot. Estimated downtime is 10-20 mins.

Ggoreo has requested he be de-admined but I am going to wait 2 weeks before taking any action.

Suspended jalfrezi til next week because he requested it

Added txt record to the root domain for BAT verification, requested by spidercrab

1 Like

per several polls and in a community agreed upon process, I have enabled mod privilege to pocketchads.

6 Likes

I took a peek at our user statistics, a little concerned:

We are typically 1+ million views. In the last 30 we are down to 800k and some change. -34% change. Our daily engaged users hasnā€™t taken a big hit - weā€™re down to 180ish from 200. Thatā€™s not too bad of a drop. I chalk it up to forum drama + the fact that biden administration is not a huge draw compared to trump.

It is not my job, but I would really like to start advocating methods of drawing more engagement and users to this place. I would love to see us run a few ads outside the site, and work on our SEO.

It might be unpopular, but I would also like to make a proposal soon to change our name from unstuckpolitics.com to something without politics in the name. Iā€™ve tried to draw users here lately for discussion, and the common response is ā€œEw, I donā€™t like politics.ā€ But this place has so much more to offer than that. We could still keep the old domain. However, ā€œunstuck.comā€ is already owned by someone. That wouldā€™ve been my first choice.

Anyway just some thoughts from an admin.

ETA: Analyzing the data more, there are some factors to consider. Our DAU/MAU (a measure of community ā€œstickinessā€, or how often people return to the forum) is still the same and EXTREMELY high. You want 30% or so, weā€™re still above 80%. My analysis right now is we are just getting fewer posts than we were before, and thatā€™s driving down the pageviews. Even I myself find myself spending less time here, and thereā€™s no real reason other than thereā€™s nothing interesting going on seemingly.

4 Likes

There was a lot of discussion on the Exile board about things we could do to grow our brand beyond a message board that kind of ended up fizzling out but something like blogs or podcasts could help widen our reach and draw in more posters.

Should I write more long-form OPs, then set up a Twitter account to promote them? Maybe one day that can lead to my own substack.

1 Like

fuck man, if you have any kind of reach that would be enormously helpful. What you write is quite good.

my credit card got hacked so I am leaving this as a reminder for myself to change the payment info for our mailgun account.

untopshot.com?

maybe more seriously unstuckforums.com?

1 Like

Remember, itā€™s never too late to go for www.slowpony.net

Sorry, Iā€™ve been posting/arguing less.

Eta: Also Cuse gone. Serious percentage of posts between us I bet.

2 Likes

Know youā€™re joking but since the great kerfuffle wondering how much of the drop can be attributed to the complete absence of Jbro and near complete absence of Keed. Also seems like a number of other good regs have cut down significantly (beetle isnā€™t around much outside of his TP thread and some topshot) but could be wrong about that ofc.

1 Like

I would be more inclined to say that the new administration is more of a factor than the drama - the drop started pretty much right after the inauguration.

Iā€™m not sure if youā€™re being serious, but I donā€™t see why the new admin would have this effect.

I was confused at first too but heā€™s talking about the Trump/Biden administrations.

Ahh gotcha.

Yea. Iā€™m not discounting the effect of posters like cuse/keed/jbro/whoever else iā€™m forgetting leaving or posting less. But the trump thread and bot was definitely a draw and we lost that. This new administration is boring as fuck in comparison. This site was like crack with something nuts happening every day it seemed like.

Now itā€™s over and we have to figure out what to do. User attrition is a thing. Eventually without new faces we will die. Iā€™ve seen it happen to communities several times.

Luckily we are still pretty healthy, but Iā€™m really gonna keep advocating that we advertise and try to increase our online presence. SEO stuff could be helpful, but Iā€™m not an expert at it.