Admin Log

We can suppress individual categories from appearing in digest emails, so I’m suppressing everything but Politics, Chitchat, A&E and Sports so people don’t end up getting digest emails about the latest About or FrenchBBV blood feuds.

We can set digest frequency to hourly, daily, weekly, monthly or every 6 months. I was thinking weekly because daily seems like way too often, but maybe if someone opts in they want daily digests? I’ll probably go with weekly and include a poll in the instructions thread in case anyone using it prefers a different frequency.

ETA: It’s only sent to people who haven’t visited the forum, so daily seems way too soon, and hourly outright ridiculous.

1 Like

Strange - the investment thread is getting a large amount of traffic, but CPU usage is only hitting ~30-40%. With such a large thread (9.3k posts) I expected to check and see at least a small spike, but it looks pretty much like a normal day.

Also looking at those graphs, it looks like the site is basically unused around midnight US time. If I do updates in the future I will try to target that time, but no promises.

I raised the mention limit from 10 to 20. I am told this will help with walrus games, and it came up in the “Favorite Posters” thread.

Didn’t make a poll because I doubt anyone cares. If you do care, submit your complaint here:

Censored the word ■■■■ in the forum software, per discussions. Looking into whether we can replace those characters with something less obvious.

There will be a discourse reboot tomorrow morning at approximately 7:30am Pacific Time to apply a new patch. I will post a banner. Expected forum downtime is 5-10 minutes.

The server will be undergoing maintenance at 7:30 AM Pacific Time on 1/30. Expected downtime is 10 minutes to an hour. During this period, the forum may come back up, and go back down intermittently - I appreciate your patience during this time.

The reason it may take longer than a few minutes is because there is some issue with the former admin linux user owning some processes, and troubleshooting may require taking the forum up and back down again.

that worked very nicely. Issue fixed, and we are now on version 2.7.0.beta3. Maintenance over.

2 Likes

Nice screen message too, thanks.

1 Like

I just got bad gateway and webserver/OS versions.

I think he meant the banner - I still need to create the maintenance page. That’ll probably be a half a day project, but I don’t think I have it in me this weekend.

3 Likes

revoked @goofyballer 's moderation privileges, per his request.

zikzak was of course correct, just checked meta.discourse.org and it looks like they always run with latest beta:

I will continue updating with latest beta, until they screw something up. Seems like it’s a pretty safe branch. Why don’t they just call it “release” rather than “beta,” beta makes it sound like a version you shouldn’t use in production.

so I was asking about the bill in the other thread and got a statement today from DO, and it is $40 for our droplet and $5 for the storage bucket that has our forum backups.

doubt anyone cares but in the interest of FULL TRANSPARENCY I created a group for someone who asked me nicely.

Appreciate the logging :+1:

2 Likes

Submitted photo ID for account verification (lol twitter) to unlock the official unstuck admin twitter developer account. After this is resolved I will change the twitter keys to this account’s keys.

I reset new user notice tl and returning user notice tl to tl2. It had been changed to tl3 at some point. Those are the settings that displays these messages

working on issue where zikzak is still receiving server emails from root.

This led me to changing some contact emails elsewhere that still had his address in them.

Still working it out in my head on how to make this work with “zero trust” principle or as close to it as possible, for whenever I am rotated out.

God damn walrusers

1 Like

3 Likes

Revoked moderator privileges for @microbet, per his request and the end of his self imposed 3 month term.

1 Like